Using your exercise calories?

Options
Hi,

I am new to MFP. I just started tracking everything yesterday. I run about 4 miles 3-4 times a week as part of my fitness. I tracked it yesterday and noticed that it does give you all of those calories back. My question is, will I have better success if I don't use those extra calories? Or does my body need those extra calories to be eaten, to lose the weight? To me, it seems like you wouldn't want to eat those extra calories, if you wanted to have better weight loss success, but I know the body is a strange thing sometimes!

Thanks!

Replies

• Mochadog
    Mochadog Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I came in here wondering the same thing. I know in the past that not eating enough to support the (sometimes massive) amount of exercise I get in makes me stall.

Anyone have thoughts on the shoulds/should nots of this?
  • Mochadog
    Mochadog Posts: 13 Member
    Options
  • Sarah70183
    Options
    Thanks!! This helps! I guess I will force myself to eat MORE! haha :tongue:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Most people will tell you to eat them back.I wont tell you to do anything because I have no clue how your body works.
    I will tell you that last april I started exercising and counting calories it was rare that I would net 1200 I kept like that untill the end of september when I stoped exercising and counting between april and september I lost 2 lbs a week after the big weight loss that happened when i started,it never stalled out my hair didnt fall out i was building muscle.now between sep and jan i didnt exercise and didnt count calories but ate pretty much the same as I did when I was counting i never gained back anything I lost,and I didnt lose anymore.Now since i picked back up in jan im back to counting and exercising and when im hungry i eat them back thats not often.Im back to losing between a pound or 2 a week.
    That my experiance,I cant say what would be best for you cause I honestly dont know.
    Most people on here will tell you to eat them,and they have lost tons of wieght also
    the only advice I can give is if your hungry eat to do not restrict yourself
  • Sarah70183
    Options
    Most people will tell you to eat them back.I wont tell you to do anything because I have no clue how your body works.
    I will tell you that last april I started exercising and counting calories it was rare that I would net 1200 I kept like that untill the end of september when I stoped exercising and counting between april and september I lost 2 lbs a week after the big weight loss that happened when i started,it never stalled out my hair didnt fall out i was building muscle.now between sep and jan i didnt exercise and didnt count calories but ate pretty much the same as I did when I was counting i never gained back anything I lost,and I didnt lose anymore.Now since i picked back up in jan im back to counting and exercising and when im hungry i eat them back thats not often.Im back to losing between a pound or 2 a week.
    That my experiance,I cant say what would be best for you cause I honestly dont know.
    Most people on here will tell you to eat them,and they have lost tons of wieght also
    the only advice I can give is if your hungry eat to do not restrict yourself

Also good advice. :) Thank you. I just want to do this right and I'm trying to get as much good advice as I can for better success.
  • lreiland
    lreiland Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I asked the exact same question a week or so ago when I first started and I have learned that yes, you should eat your exercise calories b/c your body needs that energy. I know it seems counter-productive but the thing to remember is that your NET calories should be at your goal # at the end of the day (which is calculated automatically for you based on the calories you consume and the calories you burn through exercise). The way that you still lose weight (even when eating your exercise calories) is due to the caloric deficit that you are limiting yourself to on a daily basis. For example, before I was using MFP and tracking my diet and exercise, I bet I probably consumed, on average, about 1800-1900 calories a day. By using MFP, my daily calorie goal is 1400. So as long as my NET at the end of the day is 1400, then I've had a 400-500 caloric deficit than a typical day pre-MFP. Does that make sense??
  • Sarah70183
    Options
    I asked the exact same question a week or so ago when I first started and I have learned that yes, you should eat your exercise calories b/c your body needs that energy. I know it seems counter-productive but the thing to remember is that your NET calories should be at your goal # at the end of the day (which is calculated automatically for you based on the calories you consume and the calories you burn through exercise). The way that you still lose weight (even when eating your exercise calories) is due to the caloric deficit that you are limiting yourself to on a daily basis. For example, before I was using MFP and tracking my diet and exercise, I bet I probably consumed, on average, about 1800-1900 calories a day. By using MFP, my daily calorie goal is 1400. So as long as my NET at the end of the day is 1400, then I've had a 400-500 caloric deficit than a typical day pre-MFP. Does that make sense??

This makes a lot of sense actually, and explained the best yet. I understand now! So my calorie goal is 1200, so I should stick to that number everyday, regardless if I exercise or not each day. The days I exercise, I get to eat more! :) That's a nice reward.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    I don't eat exercise calories and I am still losing inches off my waist.
  • AndrewTheWise
    Options
    I eat when I am hungry. I don't eat when I am not.