Dress sizes

Options
How much weight do you think one would have to lose to go down a dress size?

Replies

• monicanicoletta
    monicanicoletta Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    sometimes you go down several sizes without losing 1 lb believe it or not- inches come off way faster than pounds do sometimes
  • WashingtonGrown
    Options
    7lbs is my magic number for pant sizes. It depends on the person.
  • maryellengallagher
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is 1 dress size for approximately 10 lbs.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on the person - how many inches you lose and WHERE you lose those inches.
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    I have lost 20lbs and gone down 2 or 3 dress sizes (Australian) I used to fit a 22 top. now I fit an 18 a little tightly, but it fits. ha. (we go down in 2's)
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It's all you. There's no generic number for everyone.
  • lawdhelpme2
    lawdhelpme2 Posts: 149
    Options
    Great thanks, I am looking forward to dropping down a size. Goal is a dress size by summer time.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I have lost 20lbs and gone down 2 or 3 dress sizes (Australian) I used to fit a 22 top. now I fit an 18 a little tightly, but it fits. ha. (we go down in 2's)

I've lost a lot more fat from my top than bottom, and I don't just mean in the bust. I've lost most of the padding on my rib cage, under my arms, my back, and even most of the "spare tire" around my middle. My waist is still on the thick side, though, which has prevented me from getting rid of the size 14 jeans I was wearing 20 pounds ago. I already have a good supply of 12s - old but not so old that the seats have rotted out of them - and can't wait to donate the 14s to Goodwill.

We go down in 2s here in the US too - odd numbers for juniors and even for the rest of us.
  • spatticus
    spatticus Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've heard the ten pound rule. A lot depends on how tall you are. I will never be a size four, prolly not a six at a healthy weight just because even if I was skin and bones I wouldn't all fit in there! I'm almost 5'9".
  • maddiesmommy1111
    Options
    10 pounds for me!
  • mapnerd2005
    mapnerd2005 Posts: 363
    Options
    For a while I had to lose 20 to go down a size, but I just went down a size after 7 pounds. I think it just depends on the dress, the style, and where the inches are coming off. I've been slimming down in my hips a lot the last 20 pounds or so (they're finally catching up!).
  • RiverRatMom
    RiverRatMom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's 10-12 lbs for me
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I have lost just over 21 pounds and am down from a 14 to a 10 (although one pair I just bought is still a tiny bit tight). I have two pairs of 12's that I wear they I cinch them a lot.
  • stephboyd90
    Options
    hiya i dunno coz i have lost 14lbs and not gonee down any yet i mean i notcied a difference in my top but nothink else not enough to go down a dress size so i dunno wats goin on there?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    So many variables! Not least in the lack of consistency in dress sizes across manufacturers - you can't trust a label, have to just try it on.

Let's see, I was 159 lb at start December. Most of my clothes were a size 14 (that's Uk sizing, so a US 10), but I had some size 16 pants.

By Christmas all my size 16s had been thrown away.

By end January I'd lost about10 lbs, and my size 14s were starting to feel baggy.

End of February and I've lost the magical stone (that's 14 lbs to you USAians) and was fitting with ease into size 12s. And having to buy size 12s since very little in my wardrobe fitted! (That's a US 8 and boy I love typing that!)

But my shape has changed so much, I find it hard shopping now cos I don't know what suits me!