Avoid sugar and salt all together?

Options
As a general rule of thumb...should salt and sugar in processed foods be avoided? I know it's healthy to eat natural sugar that comes from fruit, but what about the salt since it retains water in your body? Would it be easier to lose weight by avoiding both substances?

Replies

• FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    if you are going to use salt, use organic sea salts... avoid all refined sugars... Drink LOTS of water if you use sea salts
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Processed foods and the stuff that makes it shelf stable for umpteen years should be avoided in general.

Sugar from fruit / dairy I don't count, and salt, well I cut back my recommended daily amount to 1500mg and don't fuss about it, if I dine out I know it's going to be over, if I dine in, well some of my regular items have a lot of sodium so it's often in the red.
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    your body doesn't need ANY sugar so you can avoid that. however, your body does need sodium. it needs around 1500 mg everyday in order for the electrolyte balance to be maintained. there is a condition when you don't get enough sodium, just so you are aware. just remember to limit the salt :)
  • zer0vital
    zer0vital Posts: 42
    Options
    Sea salt and regular table salt have more or less identical chemical makeups; one is not really any healthier than the other. Table salt contains more iodine (a good thing) but may be more heavily processed and contain trace additives. There's no good reason to prefer one over the other besides taste and texture preferences, as far as I am aware.

Adding salt to food yourself usually contributes only a small amount of a person's daily sodium intake. The best way is to avoid processed foods, as you alluded to. Still, it's a really hard thing to do - sodium is my biggest challenge by far on MFP, and I lose almost every day. Drinking lots of water and getting your daily supply of potassium can help counteract sodium overload.

Here's a link with more information about table salt and sea salt:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sea-salt/AN01142
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    I've been reading up on this too. I think the general feeling I'm getting is the more natural the better, the less salt and sugar the better. I have noticed- just in the last week of even attempting to lower my salt and sugar- that across my waist and rib cage feels tighter and I've dropped a couple lbs. you will get multiple results/opinions on here about how extreme to go with it- just do the best you can, when you can. If you do cook, and you like flavor, you may want to shop the spice section and find some seasonings that don't have salt in them. It will help with things tasting bland.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    No.
  • chicnsweet83
    Options
    No.

No what?
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I don't eat processed food and I get an adequate amount of sodium daily. It is naturally occurring in many foods. You don’t need processed foods to get enough! Not to mention I use kosher salt to season food I cook myself.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Hmmm! Sodium is necessary for bodily function. It can retain water in the body, not fat!! So shouldn't be confused with fat loss!! Ultimately, we aim to lose fat. But if you eat too much sodium it can seem that you've put on weight on the scales, but what you've put on is water, not fat.

But yes, in general, a healthy diet will be one where fresh, whole foods are consumed and processed, boxed, refined foods are kept to a minimum.

Having said that, I still eat ice cream and chocolate, in moderation and within my calorie deficit, because I like it!! :bigsmile:

And because I can't be THAT strict on myself!! :laugh:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    No, it wouldn't be easier. What doesn't have sugar or salt? Sugar isn't bad for you, excessive sugar is. The same is true with salt. Plus, salt is required to metabolise water. That's why I have salt tablets in my pack.

Sorry, for the bluntness.... you so pretty!

Forgive me?