Is Strength Training Necessary

Options
I've always combined weight lifting with cardio. I was curious to know if weight lifting is really necessary to lose or maintain weight. i've always had this on again off again shoulder pain on my right shoulder that I have had since i was a teen from lifting to much of a heavy weight. I've always thought strength training combined with cardio yielded the best results. Is this true? TIA

Replies

• JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    When you lose weight you lose both fat and muscle. Strength training will ensure that you keep your muscle but lose the fat. It's essential to a healthy body.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I believe so, because when you lift weights - you're replacing fat with muscle ... You can strength train without lifting weights too, using your own body weight (push ups, pull ups, burpies, planks) etc.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    My .02 is that it's important. Your muscles will burn more calories at rest.
  • kriswigg
    kriswigg Posts: 95
    Options
    The added muscle mass also helps you burn calories, even when not doing anything. Just stick with lighter weights to keep from aggravating the shoulder.:smile:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Oh I think a mix of strength and cardio is definitely the way (weigh?) to go!

I fell you buddy - I'm suffering from tennis elbow and associated sore shoulder at the minute, and I think I really ought to let my poor joints heal for a week or two... but it's so hard to give up the weight-lifting!

Oh lordi I'm going to have to embrace spin classes, aren't I?
  • lbewley3
    lbewley3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Each pound of muscle mass added burns 50 calories per day versus idle fat mass. Doesn't sound like much but would add up - replace 10 lbs of fat with 10 lbs of muscle and burn the equivalent of one pound per week (or be able to eat an extra 500 calories/day without weight gain!!)
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I believe so, because when you lift weights - you're replacing fat with muscle ... You can strength train without lifting weights too, using your own body weight (push ups, pull ups, burpies, planks) etc.

Fat does not turn into muscle (I know that's not exactly what you said but some people might misunderstand).
  • GremlinJenny
    Options
    Strength Training is NECESSARY. just to be healthy.

the last thing you want is to throw your back out because you weren't strong enough to lift a mere bag of groceries. weight training promotes cardiovascular health, muscular health and bone health.

plus, every girl likes a man who can protect her. hehehe... ;) good luck!
  • manymuses
    manymuses Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My .02 is that it's important. Your muscles will burn more calories at rest.

Yep. He's correct. The more muscle you have, the more fat and calories are burned, even while you are at rest, effectively elevating your metabolism if you stick with it.
  • jlorenzo31
    jlorenzo31 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I guess I'll just stick with lighter weights.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Yes it is necessary.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Yes, strength training is necessary for overall fitness; however, I would really encourage you to get that shoulder checked out by a chiropractor or doctor. Depending on what is wrong (rotator cuff, ect) you will want to add--and avoid--specific exercises in order to strengthen the muscles, and avoid further injury. I'm currently having to avoid bench presses and shoulder flys, among other things, and add internal and external rotations in order to strengthen an injured rotator cuff. Strength training is very rewarding, but should be gone into with a bit of direction so you can get the most out of it. Good luck! :)
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Yes, strength training is necessary for overall fitness; however, I would really encourage you to get that shoulder checked out by a chiropractor or doctor. Depending on what is wrong (rotator cuff, ect) you will want to add--and avoid--specific exercises in order to strengthen the muscles, and avoid further injury. I'm currently having to avoid bench presses and shoulder flys, among other things, and add internal and external rotations in order to strengthen an injured rotator cuff. Strength training is very rewarding, but should be gone into with a bit of direction so you can get the most out of it. Good luck! :)

+1
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    some people believe strength training is all you need. But it is necessary as we need muscles. I also have suffered from shoulder pain for 15+ years. It doesnt stop me from pumping iron. And the more I strengthen my shoulders the less pain i find myself in.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I think you should have your shoulder checked out. Lifting shouldn't cause pain.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Yep- building muscle makes you look more lean, plus muscle burns more than fat while 'resting." Maybe do a search online to see if there are strength activities you can do that won't hurt....