Lean & Mean Turkey Chili

Options
taso42_DELETED
taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
This recipe is slight variation of this one: http://bodyforlife.com/library/recipes/dinner-turkey-chili

I know lots of people make chili and everyone has their own little twist, so please feel free to share how you like your chili (unless your recipe is top secret, in which case, please PM it to me)

Ingredients
* 1.5 pound lean, ground turkey
* 2 medium or 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
* 4-5 cloves of chopped garlic
* 1 (28 ounce) can of diced tomatoes
* Optional: 1 or 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
* 3 (14 ounce) cans of beans, drained and rinsed. (I usually go with black, kidney, & pinto)
* 1 small can of green chilis (not sure the size.. they're usually small cans, 5oz maybe?)
* any other peppers you have on hand can surely be added
* 4 tablespoons chili powder
* 2 tablespoons cumin
* Salt and pepper to taste
* dash of cayenne
* shot of espresso or tbsp of cocoa powder
* olive oil

Preparation

Cook the turkey in a skillet until no longer pink. Drain any fat/liquid that come out of the meat
Put a pot on the burner, heat up about 1-2 tbsp of olive oil., and saute the onion until translucent then add the garlic. When you can smell the garlic, add the rest of the ingredients to the pot. Get it up to a simmer. Mix it all up thoroughly, then taste and make adjustments to your spices. Then cover and simmer on low for 1 or more hours.

Last time I measured, it came out to about 7 13 oz servings.

Approximate nutrition per serving:
calories: 355
carbs: 37
fat: 10
protein: 30

Replies

• kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this!! Definitely going to have to try.

I got to ask, though... Espresso or cocoa??? Most of what you use, are things I've done in the past. I've even used cinnamon, just not the other two.
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    YUM-O.
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230
    Options

I got to ask, though... Espresso or cocoa??? Most of what you use, are things I've done in the past. I've even used cinnamon, just not the other two.

I haven't tried the espresso, but I've made a recipe similar to this but with dark chocolate. SO good. It was very rich.

Great post, Taso!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options

I haven't tried the espresso, but I've made a recipe similar to this but with dark chocolate. SO good. It was very rich.

Great post, Taso!

OMG I'm a sucker for dark chocolate!!! Will most definitely have to try this...if I don't eat the chocolate first. lmao
    You did say it goes IN the chili, right? haha
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

I think the espresso/cocoa add a nice little dimension. I bet a little bit of stout beer would do similar :smile:
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options

I think the espresso/cocoa add a nice little dimension. I bet a little bit of stout beer would do similar :smile:

The cocoa is delicious, as I'm sure the espresso would be...as for a little beer, tastes fantastic!

I recently cut back on some of the kidney beans and started adding garbonzo beans (chick peas)...they stay quite firm and add a great texture! I'll have to give the black beans a try! All in all the recipe is very similar to mine, I make it every other week!!! Love love love it!!!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Sounds great! My recipe is pretty similar.. minus the cocoa/espresso, which I think would be amazing!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    great post thanks for sharing!