evil scales

Options
okay so this this morning and i weighed myself and it said i was 170! which was great to me. Then after i worked out at the gym i weighed myslef there and it said 180!!! it confused me. That is a huge ten pound difference!! how am i supposed to know which one is right! does this ever happen to anyone else? evil scales:devil:

Replies

• savanuh
    savanuh Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    okay so this this morning and i weighed myself and it said i was 170! which was great to me. Then after i worked out at the gym i weighed myslef there and it said 180!!! it confused me. That is a huge ten pound difference!! how am i supposed to know which one is right! does this ever happen to anyone else? evil scales:devil:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    OK, so the scale is my emotional nemesis.

Here's what I think. The scale gives you a ballpark figure of what you weigh. Everything you put in or do to your body changes what you weigh. A litre of water weighs two pounds, for example. Food you eat adds to your weight. A workout can change your weight.

Here's an article that explains it in greater detail.

http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/weight/scale.htm

:flowerforyou:
  • pamelawilliams
    Options
    Scales are different. I would choose one scale and weigh myself without clothes, before breakfast in the morning. Remember your weight flucuates throughout the day. Sometimes after exercise I am actually heavier due to water retention. Also remember the scale may be wrong. Make sure it is balanced. Scales can be evil:mad:
  • savanuh
    Options
    that makes a lot of sense!
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Weigh once a week! If you're stepping on the scale twice a day...that's way too much! You start obsessing and every little fluctuation freaks you out!

I weigh once a week (Friday morning) always at the same time; after using the restroom and before I eat... When I feel like I've had a great week, I get very tempted to weigh often...but, I make myself wait. It's motivation to keep doing well so you don't screw up your week for weigh-in. Since starting this site two months ago, I have lost weight (even if it's just half a pound) every week. It feels so great to see the scale go down every time I step on it. I know that if I weighed every day I wouldn't see results like that. I would see daily fluctuations and from one day to the next it might be a little more than it was the day before. I think the wait is worth it!!!

TRY TO WEIGH MUCH, MUCH LESS!!! It will ease your pain!

Cheers :drinker:
    Dani
  • savanuh
    Options
    yes i guess i do need to start weighing myself less. its just an obsession i have to stop
  • carak2000
    Options
    Also, if you were lifting weights as part of your gym workout you will probably weigh more after working out.
  • jnb0203
    jnb0203 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You know I don't even have a set of scales. I know if I had them I would be on them all day and would become crazy over it!

What I have been doing each week is using a clothing measuring tape (I assume thats what they are called...LOL) I bought at walmart for a dollar. The last time I measured I had lost a inch off my hips, and to me thats very encouraging! Maybe you could try that!!
  • Quenofcrazzy
    Options
    My name is Kimberly and I am addicted to my scale.

I weigh myself several times a day..bad bad bad.
    On another forum, I was challenged to hide my scale from myself till Tuesday morning. I hid it on Friday morning..and I am missing it so much..but not checking my weight 50002 times a day is ok..and hopefully I will see a weight loss come Tuesday since I am being SOOOOOO good this weekend.

I challenge you to hide the scale...Can you do it?
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: KIM!!! Yeah! I hid mine in DH cave ! (the den) haha

Scales are evil. when i was in my dreaded plateau i lost 5 inches and not one pound.

only weigh 1x week, in the morning.

think about it . you drink 32 oz of water, get on the scale, and dont think you will gain 2 pounds?

It took a LOT for me to figure this out.

So now 1 x week.....I am trying so hard..........1x week............:smokin: