Tortilla Chips

Options
I am a lover of chips and salsa (the fresh kind NOT the kind in a jar that THINKS it's salsa).

I was looking at the nutrition info on the bag of various tortilla chips. I have found a serving size of 7 chips that equals 140 calories. I know I must be strong and limit my intake but geesh... does anyone know how to make your own chips at home that are lower in calories or have a chip alternative?

Replies

• EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    watching :) i love chips and salsa too, and agree with you, FRESH IS BEST! i have yet to find an alternative chip though!
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I eat the tostitos baked chips.....14 is 130 calories and 3g of fat.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You can make your own baked chips. There are many recipes using cooking spray and spices so it would be no different than eating a plain tortilla.
  • nomoremuffintop42
    nomoremuffintop42 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i use rice cakes with salsa instead of chips..It's no chip but it's more for the calorie count:)
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    get a pita and toast it in the oven or even just a tortilla shell(like for soft tacos) microwaved and broken up. Just my suggestions,I dont eat them much myself but I know it whats my sister does.
  • ninyagwa
    ninyagwa Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I found this one brand that I like very much Millstone Ground (it's in my food diary which is open if you want to look) and it's 140 cals for 15 chips and they are delicious.

I have also seen on one of the message boards that you can make your own by cutting up a tortilla & baking it in the oven for a bit, not sure how many colories that would save you, but it's another option.
  • zer0vital
    zer0vital Posts: 42
    Options
    Putting healthier alternatives aside, do you think it would be possible to train yourself to be satisfied with just the 7 chips? (Or 10, 14, whatever) I snack on low-salt Triscuits and find that by simply counting them out beforehand, I can eat and enjoy them and feel satisfied, when in the past I would have just eaten half the bag before I even thought about whether I was still hungry. Snacking doesn't have to equate to eating until you are absolutely full - what's wrong with stopping at 7 chips? They should just be a snack holding you over until your next meal anyway. Alternatively, you could eat tortilla chips only on your "cheat" days, and even then you would want to set a reasonable limit beforehand.

Of course, I'm not judging you or your situation, and I think it's very admirable that you are thinking about what is going to trip you up beforehand, and finding a solution. I eat all kinds of "unclean" foods that I still need to find filling alternatives for. I'll be watching this thread for more suggestions. :-)
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Do you live near a Trader Joes?

Trader Joes organic corn white tortilla chips 21 chips = 210 calories
    there are other types there too like organic blue chips not sure about the count

it is a great store too!!!
  • Aintplayin
    Aintplayin Posts: 102
    Options
    Putting healthier alternatives aside, do you think it would be possible to train yourself to be satisfied with just the 7 chips? (Or 10, 14, whatever) I snack on low-salt Triscuits and find that by simply counting them out beforehand, I can eat and enjoy them and feel satisfied, when in the past I would have just eaten half the bag before I even thought about whether I was still hungry. Snacking doesn't have to equate to eating until you are absolutely full - what's wrong with stopping at 7 chips? They should just be a snack holding you over until your next meal anyway. Alternatively, you could eat tortilla chips only on your "cheat" days, and even then you would want to set a reasonable limit beforehand.

Of course, I'm not judging you or your situation, and I think it's very admirable that you are thinking about what is going to trip you up beforehand, and finding a solution. I eat all kinds of "unclean" foods that I still need to find filling alternatives for. I'll be watching this thread for more suggestions. :-)
    You're absolutely right. The serving size is 24 bite size chips. If 24 chips isn't giving me satisfaction, then I need to put it away until I can get a grip. Thanks for confronting me with that. No offense was taking... you're just keeping it real.
  • aneajo
    aneajo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I havn't tried it yet, but my cousin cuts up a corn tortilla (low calorie) and puts them in the oven with cooking spray till they get hard.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options

Good point I have never even thought of it like that. Thank you for shrring your good advice.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    my issue with the chips isn't so much the calories but the trans fat. Tortilla chips are no better than regular bbq chips,packing 15-18 grams of fat!

The tostitos baked chips are way lower in fat, so thats what I use with salsa.
  • canaussie
    canaussie Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I make my own tortilla chips... just take corn tortillas cut them up into triangles, spray with olive oil and broil on high in the oven, flip them once they start turning a little brown. Watch them closely as they burn quickly. The brand that I use 3 tortillas is only 110 cals and 1gm of fat. They are really nice and crunchy and taste great with some hummus or salsa.