too much protein?

Options
Mrsbonno
Mrsbonno Posts: 38 Member
i seem to ALWAYS go over my protein allowance. i mean, DAILY... i'm TRYING to lose weight, but if i dont eat protein i dont feel full... is going over my protein allowance a BAD thing??

Replies

• larisadixon
    larisadixon Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    omg no it is not (in my opinion). I try to take in 75% of my body weight in grams of protein.
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    damn! I am trying to increase my protein intake and just cant get enough in.... I am also a carb-a-holic, and even though I know you are supposed to feel full after protein/fiber, I don't feel full unless I have a carb with my meal. I am so jealous
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I go over on protein every single day. I think there's a way to adjust it if you need to. Some people just need more than others I think. I absolutely don't feel full if I don't have protein. That said, protein in the morning literally makes or breaks my day. I have to have it or I am starving by 10 am!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Going over in protein is fine. I was stuck at a plateau for months and just recently upped my protein (about 1 month ago) and the weight is coming off so much better now. I've heard half your body weight (lbs) in protein is suggested each day. Maybe even more if you work out hard.

Fiber is also okay to go over in.

Just make sure to keep carbs, sodium and calories in check.
  • findngme
    findngme Posts: 34
    Options
    too much of anything is bad for you. i don't know how much is too much, but you may want to take a look at this:
    http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=11234
  • kriswigg
    kriswigg Posts: 95
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. At least it's always lean protein. I almost never go over the fat allowance, so I'm good, right?
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am always over. Mine is set way to low.
  • Mrsbonno
    Options
    I go over on protein every single day. I think there's a way to adjust it if you need to. Some people just need more than others I think. I absolutely don't feel full if I don't have protein. That said, protein in the morning literally makes or breaks my day. I have to have it or I am starving by 10 am!

EXACTLY how i am!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I don't think its a big deal unless you have kidney issues or other medical problems affected by too much protein :)
  • tracybarnes1
    tracybarnes1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing...everyday I am over in Protein and still have 550 cal left to eat!!!! I guess I need help too. I dont eat crazy, just love boiled shrimp and TURKEY!:wink:
  • travelgirl09
    travelgirl09 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising and strength training, you absolutely need more protein. It is your muscle builder.
  • Mrsbonno
    Options
    well, i'm exercising more than i used to, does that count?? like.. i used to do NOTHING... and now i'm doing pushups, crunches, and Turbo Jam.
  • ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    never heard too much protein was bad...as long as its lean protein then you should be fine...you need the protein to help build and repair muscle
  • flyinmomof3
    flyinmomof3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Too muh is not good. Try not to go over 70 grams in my opinion. How much are you eating? Too much protein will make you loose weight because it acts like a diuretic, which dehydrates you. Also it can be bad on the kidneys, who wants to wear those out early? Keep it natural and you should be safe. If your going over because of suppliments, you may want to cut back.
  • kimeister
    kimeister Posts: 212
    Options
    It's all in your lean versus not lean protein intake. I'm a vegetarian and keep a pretty close watch on my protein. If I'm over in protein (which I often am) but not over on sodium and fat, I call it good, but every body is different.