Home or Gym

Options
jeromy75
jeromy75 Posts: 112
Which do you prefer? Working out at home, or the gym? Why?

I prefer home because I can afford it. LOL Also, I like working to DVD's and my own equipment. Sometimes I like the gym because of the people, but I just prefer home.

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I kinda just hate the gym. I've got a pretty decent set-up at home now. I have a bonus room with laminate floors, so over time I've accumulated a yoga ball, some weights, bands, etc. I also invested in a treadmill and the squishy interlocking floor for part of the room. LOVE it. I also found a trainer that comes to the house, so with the exception of the eye candy, I don't need the gym. :)
  • jltodd99
    jltodd99 Posts: 89
    Options
    For me it's the gym. Gets me out of the house and away from the kids for a while. My gym membership is a single membership because no one else in the family can find the time. HA, their loss!
  • ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    home...i dont get as bored as when i used to go to the gym
  • susioryan
    susioryan Posts: 180
    Options
    Home in my Home Gym comprised of exercise equipment that people left on the side of the road with a free sign.
  • Sheila1968
    Sheila1968 Posts: 106
    Options
    Definitely at home. We built our house with a 3rd "bedroom" that we use for our weight room. Exercise bike, weight machine, dumbbells, mats, free weights, stability ball. I would never make it to the gym if I had to drive there, but when it's right here - I use it.
  • dcberg00
    dcberg00 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Home for sure. Like you, I prefer the price!! Also, I am not much on seeing other people going crazy with the weights. I have never wanted to be a guy to bench a house. I just wanted to be strong enough to do what I needed. To me, too much judging takes place at a gym.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    The gym - absolutely. I like the whole group energy (I only take classes at the gym: boot camp, yoga, core, occasionally a spin class) - at home there's always something else to do. But for my #1 form of exercise - running - that I hate doing at the gym. I'd much rather be outside - no matter what the weather!
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    i love working out at home and have started getting the things i need to make it work quite nicely. you get a huge variety of things you can do and have the benefit of exercise tv and dvd's. i do like going to the gym.....but hate the crowds and having to wait on machines. so......i guess i am torn.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Home. I use free weights (actually PowerBlock dumbells), a bench, and a treadmill. I can hit all the major muscle groups with the weights as well as get my cardio. My reasons against the gym for now include:

a) i like the privacy. i don't want anyone to see the ugly faces or hear the weird noises I make :laugh: i also can just be barefoot and not worry about cooties. and yeah, i'm shy and self conscious.
    b) no waiting for machines
    c) no gym odor. that BO mixed with sanitizer smell... grosses me out.
    d) for morning cardio i just need to roll out of bed, turn on the espresso machine, and get my *kitten* on the treadmill
    e) for evening weight training, i can check on how dinner is cooking in between sets

I can see joining a gym some day, to get some more variety in my weight training workouts. I'm not completely against the idea. But for now, home is working out quite nicely.

Edit: Interesting how this thread is going! Last time a similar thread was posted it looked like most people preferred the gym. This time around it looks roughly split, or maybe home is actually winning.
  • hpygirl64ColleenLinder
    Options
    Spent many years at the gym and with little results trying to figure it out myself. The past 2 years I started working out at home because my gym didn't allow kids. I have gotten FAR better results at home then all the years together at the gym. I like the fact that I have a personal trainer (on dvd) that tells me what to do and when and most of which allows for muscle confusion as well as the all important rest days so it doesn't cause the plateaus and I'm getting so much more stronger !! Muscle burns fat. Also like
    someone said above, I don't get bored because I'm doing something different about every 60 to 90 days.

Feel free to buddy me for inspirational/motivational "food for thought" Happy Health Every One!! Colleen in Seattle
  • Mary830
    Mary830 Posts: 64
    Options
    Both.

I mostly work out at home, it fits my schedule pretty well, I have everything I need and I don't have to worry about rushing through my workout so I can get the kids home to bed.

I do go to the gym once a week though. I love the people at my gym, and I miss the energy sometimes.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    home..haven't stepped foot in a gym in 20+yrs
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym. It's because I take a lot of strength training and cardio classes. For me, it is the exact type of motivation I need to keep me moving in the right direction.
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out at home. It's inexpensive, convenient and a time saver.
    I have a treadmill and free weights and DVDs to keep me busy.
  • lildazey
    lildazey Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym. I find it too easy to get distracted with phone calls, house work, and kids at home. When I am at the gym, I'm motivated by the energy of others.
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,177 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym for the simple reason I get paid ( I teach group fitness classes) but even before I started to teach I preferred the gym because there are too many distractions at home and I am more likely to slack if I am not being monitored. For me the hardest part about working out at the gym was getting in the car and driving there, once I was there I was committed. Although...I do like to do yoga at home surrounded by my pets, way more relaxing for me.
  • LeeLiz12
    LeeLiz12 Posts: 33
    Options
    Generally I prefer the gym; it's too easy for me to get lazy at home and I quite can't into the zone. But I love being outside, and do as much as I can outdoors. Right now I can't afford a gym membership, so I've been doing what I can to get outside as much as possible.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Home; no dress code (ain't gotta wear no pants if I don't wanna), I can cuss and grunt all is want, don't have to sit in somebody else's sweat, I can have beer (its got protein, right?), I can spit anywhere I want, don't have to wait on machines, no skinny pt's criticizing my routine, IM, nobody messes with my radio, and only one naked dude in the shower. Did I mention there are no skinny know it all trainers here?

I could go on, and on....
  • Tonya79
    Tonya79 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Defiantly Home! I have four children, trying to find the time to get out of the house would be impossible! I have a treadmill and elliptical in my sunroom, so I can watch the kids play outside while I workout! Plus, I love my DVD's for days when I need something different!
  • kamk16
    kamk16 Posts: 205
    Options
    Right now I like the gym just because I don't really have room in my house for an elliptical and that is what I like to do right now. I have done dvd's at my house in the past and do like the convenience to be able to do it when ever I have time. Right now too my son goes to the gym with me so we share that time. I don't like having to use a different machine then is planned when I go to the gym though. (very small gym they only have 1 elliptical, 1 cross trainer, and 4 treadmills and a buke which I don't like so never use it) If I have plans to go on elliptical I don't like that sometimes someone else is on it because then I just go on something else.