ZUMBA!!

Options
Hey everyone!

Have you guys ever done Zumba?? I'm doing it for the first time tomorrow but I really want to know what it entails. Can you tell me what it's like? Thanks :)

Replies

• lovely2589
    Options
    Hi! I just started it myself. I'm using the home version. It's really fun and high energy. I had a tough time keeping up the first time. But the second time was much easier. Good luck!
  • AMYJ7
    AMYJ7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It is like Salsa Dancing A LOT of hip shaking...good luck I borrowed Zumba for the Wii from a friend and LOVE IT!!
  • Charrisse
    Charrisse Posts: 163
    Options
    I just did it for the first time this week - (I bought the DVDs!)
    After learning the steps and doing the 20 minute express it was ALOT of fun. I loved the music, and the 20 minute express workout was actually easier than learning the basics (learning the basics seemed more complicated LOL)

ANYWAY - THE NEXT DAY i DID THE HOUR LONG (oopps caps) and it was harder cause they moved alot faster but I just kept moving the whole time, it was fun too. I enjoy it, and I certainly am not a dancer lol
  • alex063287
    alex063287 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hello! Zumba is my favorite workout and have been doing it since August 2009! It's a Latin-American dance based workout. It's so much fun that you don't even feel like your working out. The first time you try it you will probably not know the moves but the more classes you go, the more moves you pick up. You can supposedly burn up to 500-1000 calories depending on how hard you work. I usually take it up a notch and burn around 700-900 a class. Another thing I love about it is that you can go your own pace! If there is a move you don't like you can just make up your own move. My instructor is really true to the Zumba-based workout and I love it!
  • anakinlover
    anakinlover Posts: 109
    Options
    Hi!
    I have done Zumba many times! It is so fun! I can't believe I waited as long as I did to try it. I love Latin music, but hate the noise and smoke and drunks at the clubs. This way I hear the music I love, I am dancing, and I am having a blast minus the club mess. I hope you love it! Good luck!
    -Nik
  • KPOLOCHAK
    KPOLOCHAK Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I go to a Zumba class twice a week for 50-60 minutes. It tends to be dancing with a little salsa to it. Basically routines that work all your body parts! I love it! The more I know the numbers - the harder I push which burns more calories. You can burn anywhere from 400-700 calories in one class depending on how hard you push. The time goes fast and I love working up a sweat! Try it and if the instructor is good, you will go back over and over!
  • aubsandkenny
    Options
    Just have fun. THe first time I have no idea what I was doing and I laughed at myself throughout the whole thing. But now I LOVE it!!!
  • Minime519
    Options
    I looooove zumba!!! They offer it at my gym four times a week. Its fast paced but tons of fun! Took me a couple of classes to catch on but once you do its awesome!
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I LOVE IT! It's by far my favorite form of exercise, and I would do it everyday if I could. Just keep moving. Don't worry if you don't know the moves right away! It's a lot of dance, hip shaking, fast movement. You'll love it!
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I live for Zumba! I've been doing it now for 2 years. It's an intense cardio workout and I generally burn 400 calories each 45 minute session and I use an HRM to get an accurate reading of my burn. To me, it's like a combination of aerobics and Latin dancing. Salsa, cumbia, merengue & more. You won't get all the steps your first time, nobody does. Lots of people are afraid everyone's watching them, but they're too busy watching the instructor or their own form, so don't worry about that.

I take a class twice a week. I love Zumba so much that I bought an xBox Kinect and got the Zumba dance game for it so I can do it on weekends. For me, that was huge, so it tells you something about how much fun it is.

Enjoy!!!
  • angellove29115
    angellove29115 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba, they offer it at my YMCA. I try to go to as many of those classes as I can. I really enjoy the instructor too. She is wonderful. Are you going to go to a gym to do this class or are you using the DVDs? I think you will enjoy it no matter which you do, if you enjoy dancing. Have a good time and enjoy yourself.
  • LivingFree
    Options
    Ooh! Where did you get the dvds?
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Ooh! Where did you get the dvds?

You can get them online for around $70
  • mkalinski333
    Options
    Awesome!!! Thanks everyone! I can't wait to do it :)
  • mindfang
    mindfang Posts: 6
    Options
    It's a lot of fun. If you don't catch the dance moves right away, just keep moving. Even if you are just walking in place.

I went this morning, and burned 600+ calories from a one hour class. (according to my HRM.) Hope you have fun! :D