Stupid question alert! Burning Calories...

Options
Here is my stupid post of the month...

Why do I burn around 700-800 Cal per hour of running...When other people my size only burn half of that?
Is it because they are in better shape? I would assume that to be the answer, but I just wanted to be certain.
Thanks!

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Is a heart rate monitor telling you that number? I tend to have a really high heart rate when I run, so I'll burn 700+ calories an hour as well even though I'm on the smaller side. It just depends on where you heart rate is. Someone who is used to running will have a lower heart rate while running, and thus burn less calories. My heart rate can get into the 180s, so I get really high calorie burns from running.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    What are you using to calculate that?

MFP has built in calculations, but most of the time they are inaccurate. It all has to do with what kind of cardio-shape you are in... and more importantly your heart rate. Do you use a HRM (heart-rate monitor)? it is BY FAR the most accurate way you can calculate.
  • Amanda_Runs
    Amanda_Runs Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yes my HRM is telling me this.
  • Tcasillas
    Tcasillas Posts: 30
    Options
    It is because your heart rate is higher. The more you work out the lower is will be and the less calories you will burn. By then you will be healthier and wont need to burn so many calories
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    It could depend on how fast you are going for that hour.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Primarily based on the individuals cardio fitness, but also, some people just have faster heart rates than others, that's why HRM aren't 100% accurate either.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    HRM use your age as well to calculate your optimum zone for calorie burning. A person may be the same size but a different age. If your using a HRM I wouldn't worry about other people's readings. You're doing a great workout, well done
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Age is definately a factor, but not a HUGE factor if they are within a few years of your age.

Me personally, I have been running (or been strong) my entire life. Even when I was 160-170lbs at 5'4, I could still run 4-5 miles at a 10 minute mile pace. I also always played sports growing up, and trained with our XC team in the summers. Running is just something my body has always been able to do.

If you aren't used to running and are just starting out, your endurance is going to be lower than someone who has been doing it (off and on obviously) their whole lives.

I am getting frustrated lately with my low heart rate! I am not burning as many calories as I used to!

:drinker:
  • Jessica_Lo
    Jessica_Lo Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Here is my stupid post of the month...

Why do I burn around 700-800 Cal per hour of running...When other people my size only burn half of that?
    Is it because they are in better shape? I would assume that to be the answer, but I just wanted to be certain.
    Thanks!

I was wondering that too. My HRM sucks so I don't use it but I see some people burn a wicked amount of calories and I'm like NO WAY. How do they do that? :cry:
  • Amanda_Runs
    Options
    Age is definately a factor, but not a HUGE factor if they are within a few years of your age.

Me personally, I have been running (or been strong) my entire life. Even when I was 160-170lbs at 5'4, I could still run 4-5 miles at a 10 minute mile pace. I also always played sports growing up, and trained with our XC team in the summers. Running is just something my body has always been able to do.

If you aren't used to running and are just starting out, your endurance is going to be lower than someone who has been doing it (off and on obviously) their whole lives.

I am getting frustrated lately with my low heart rate! I am not burning as many calories as I used to!

I have only been running 4 days a week for the past two months and I have such high burns...I have been athletic my entire life, but my asthma held me back when I didn't know how to control it better.
    My body has never been happy with running, but it will SOON I hope!
    Thanks!
  • Amanda_Runs
    Options

And I noticed your burns have been lower - what a freakin bummer...
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Waht brand HRM ?
  • Happy_JoJo
    Happy_JoJo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM, but I have noticed that each time I workout I burn less calories, unless I kick it up a notch like I did tonight and did 3.7 mph intervals btwn 4-10% incline, I knew it was going to be a great workout, but typically each time I do it lately, I burn fewer and fewer calories, presumeably b/c I am getting fitter. kinda frustrating but I'll take fit over fat any day!!
  • trukkerdaddie
    trukkerdaddie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It could be the 'speed' of the run.
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your HRM is accurate? I just bought one and it said I burned 1300 calories in an hour! I know that's not right but at least I know if I'm in the fat burning zone or not.