flourless cookies?

Options
agdeierl
agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
I keep seeing recipes for cookies without flour, and I'm just wondering if someone can give me a heads-up if they are good. I LOVE homemade peanut butter cookies. Obviously, I haven't been able to have them for a while now. I'm just wondering, as far as cookies go, what is the benefit of leaving out the flour? Also, my peanut butter cookies must be soft, not crispy or crunchy, so I'm wondering, are flourless cookies crisp or soft? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kalebsmama07
    Options
    bump
  • am_last10lbs
    am_last10lbs Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies are A-Maz-ING!

But super high is sugar and cals
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    They are soft. They are yummy.
    Only benefit I know of ... they are gluten-free so my son can eat them.
    They are VERY high in sugar and calories.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Flourless cookies are favored by people with Celiac disease (food intolerance to gluten found in wheat flour and most salad dressings) and by raw vegans. Most are quite tastey. I have a delicious raw flourless chocolate oatmeal cookie that could very well improve with a little peanut butter. It's in the database under Judith's raw chocolate oatmeal cookie. Give it a try. If you like it, so be it. If not, then it's not for you. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have the most amazing recipe for flourless peanut butter cookies! It is so simple! All you need is 1 cup of peanut butter, 1 cup of sugar, 1 egg, and 1 tsp of vanilla. simply mix it all together with a fork, roll them in to about 1 inch balls and place them on a cookie sheet. take the fork, dip it into sugar if you wish and smush them down a little to create the criss-cross look, then bake them at 300 for about 15 minutes. This should make about 25 cookies depending on how big you roll the balls! It is delicious! However, I have never looked at how healthy they actually are, but they are flour free! Enjoy :)
  • agdeierl
    Options

How are they higher in sugar and calories if they're omitting an ingredient? Is there extra sugar and butter and stuff to "make up" for the flour?
  • am_last10lbs
    Options
    I have the most amazing recipe for flourless peanut butter cookies! It is so simple! All you need is 1 cup of peanut butter, 1 cup of sugar, 1 egg, and 1 tsp of vanilla. simply mix it all together with a fork, roll them in to about 1 inch balls and place them on a cookie sheet. take the fork, dip it into sugar if you wish and smush them down a little to create the criss-cross look, then bake them at 300 for about 15 minutes. This should make about 25 cookies depending on how big you roll the balls! It is delicious! However, I have never looked at how healthy they actually are, but they are flour free! Enjoy :)

25 cookies? I have a hard time getting 12 cookies from that amount.
  • am_last10lbs
    Options

How are they higher in sugar and calories if they're omitting an ingredient? Is there extra sugar and butter and stuff to "make up" for the flour?

Its 1 cup of peanut butter
    1 cup of sugar
    1 egg

makes 10 - 12 cookies.
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Jif - Peanut Butter, 16 Tbsp. (32g) 1,520 calories
    Sugars - Granulated (sucrose), 1 cup 774 calories
    Usda Nutrient Database - Egg, Large Raw, 1 large egg 72 calories

Makes 10 to 12 cookies
    Total Recipe: 2366 calories
    Per Serving: 237 calories (for 10 cookies)
    197 calories (for 12 cookies)

Flour has only 400 calories in a cup, so the addition of flour to the recipe would lower the average calories per cookie because you would get more cookies but at lower calories than you get from just the peanut butter and the sugar.
  • agdeierl
    Options
    Jif - Peanut Butter, 16 Tbsp. (32g) 1,520 calories
    Sugars - Granulated (sucrose), 1 cup 774 calories
    Usda Nutrient Database - Egg, Large Raw, 1 large egg 72 calories

Makes 10 to 12 cookies
    Total Recipe: 2366 calories
    Per Serving: 237 calories (for 10 cookies)
    197 calories (for 12 cookies)

Flour has only 400 calories in a cup, so the addition of flour to the recipe would lower the average calories per cookie because you would get more cookies but at lower calories than you get from just the peanut butter and the sugar.

Thanks! Now I get it.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I saw some recipes online for substituting some navy beans for flour in cookies. They sounded good and were good, at least that is what the writer said :laugh:.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Not sure how different the flavor would be, but you could really make them low cal if you did

1 cup PB2
    1 cup Splenda
    3-4 egg whites
  • kimd1974
    kimd1974 Posts: 113
    Options
    If you use brown sugar Splenda instead of sugar it cuts down on the calories.
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options

25 cookies? I have a hard time getting 12 cookies from that amount.

It depends on how big you make them! I was shocked when I was told they could make 30!!!! They are basically bite size when I make them, but I think bite size is a little better LOL Just savor the moment and try to not eat too many!!
  • itsjustme77
    itsjustme77 Posts: 102
    Options
    Flourless works for me because I have Celiac Disease and am intolerant to gluten. Unfortunately most gluten free foods, flourless or not, are higher in calories, fat and carbs. ugh. That's how one gets fat having a malnouirshment disease. LoL
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I will have to try some of these options...TFS