Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Asparagus?? Help!

xomakaxo
xomakaxo Posts: 86 Member
I'm not a big fan of asparagus, but my bf is so I want to cook/prepare some as a side-dish (w/maybe chicken), but don't know of any yummy ways to prepare it besides just steaming it plain... any ideas/recipes?

Replies

• MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    I love asparagus grilled or sauteed with a little bit of freshly grated Parmesan. Yum!
  • Sauternes it in a little olive oil with garlic and a little lemon juice and black pepper. Top with some lemon zest. I love lemon on my grilled or sauteed veggies.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    I put it on a baking sheet with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic and bake it for about 15 min (until just toasted on ends) at 325 F
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    I sautee it with a little olive oil and garlic and towards the end just add a little balsamic vinegar on it! It's delicious
  • delilah514
    delilah514 Posts: 126 Member
    One of my favorite ways to fix it if I am not just steaming it is to cook it in the oven with a little bit of olive oil & balsamic vinegar drizzled over it. You can also add pepper or other herbs to it. I have one called California Seasonings that I really like to use. Basically you can use any sort you like, but I would try to go salt free if possible.
  • BRBARA
    BRBARA Posts: 1
    steam in water after rinsed and ends snapped off. not long 3-4 minutes. drain. return to saucepan add 1 tsp margarine or the same of olice oli.. heat briefly again, sprinkle with 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese. eat immediately.

also good steamed in paper bag in oven drizzled with olive oil excellent with a clove or two of minced garlic.
  • purplebikini
    purplebikini Posts: 9 Member
    You too will LOVE asparagus made this way. Wash in cold water...cut off about 1 1/2 inches of hard ends...put into a microwave container with 3/4 cup of water and cook on high covered for 5 mins. Drain and then in seperate cup add 1 tbsp butter...1/2 tsp garlic pwd...1 tablespoon soy sauce... 1/8 tsp blk pepper and juice of 1/4 lemon. Microwave about 45 secs. Pour over it top and you too will LOVE asparagus.
    P.S. Don't overcook it if you aren'g going to serve it right away. Every time I serve this people love it!! Enjoy!!!!!!!
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    I used to hate asperagus until I figured out I was cooking it too long. I only let it boil for 3 mintues now and I can't believe how different it tastes when it is not overcooked.

I also like to broil it with a drizzle of olive oil and some almond slices.
  • naebear99
    naebear99 Posts: 73
    One of my favorite ways to fix it if I am not just steaming it is to cook it in the oven with a little bit of olive oil & balsamic vinegar drizzled over it. You can also add pepper or other herbs to it. I have one called California Seasonings that I really like to use. Basically you can use any sort you like, but I would try to go salt free if possible.

This is what we usually do. It's REALLY good.

I also like it steamed, but then I usually want to dip it in just a little mayo and dijon mustard mix. A little fattening, but I try not to drown it in dip - just a taste.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    put it on skewers and grill it. I also put it on my george foreman grill with some I can't believe its not butter and a touch of seasalt
  • jon_dub
    jon_dub Posts: 166
    Take some Aaparagus let it sit in some balsamic vinegar for an hour then grill it for a about 10 mins then put it and the balsamic in a small pan for baking sprinkle some blue cheese on it and back for another 5 minute.. its Yummy
  • kbloodworth
    kbloodworth Posts: 107 Member
    Sautee with olive oil, salt and pepper, and after add about 1/4 cup of water after the first 10 minutes to soften it. Otherwise it is too crispy and hard to eat.
  • braungal
    braungal Posts: 11 Member
    I simply put it on my stoneware (Pampered Chef) and put it in the oven until a little tender. Since the stoneware isn't suppose to have oil on it I leave that step out, plus it is healthier without. Sometimes I sprinkle some parmessian cheese on at the end or sprinkle some Tastefully Simple Smoked Paperika seasoning on it. Good luck!!
  • xomakaxo
    xomakaxo Posts: 86 Member
    Thanks you guys! I think I'm going to try poppin em in the oven. That's a new idea for me!
  • Larry7995
    Larry7995 Posts: 55
    I stir fry it in olive oil with bok choy, green onion, broccoli or whatever veggies I have on hand and some frozen cooked shrimp, usually garlic, kikkoman soy sauce and maybe ginger for flavor.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    steam them in the microwave just for a bit so they soften. char them in a frying pan with a bit of pam and kosher salt! soooo good
  • ty79
    ty79 Posts: 3
    I too am not a big fan of asparagus but I have found if you marinate it in Italian dressing and then either grill it or I often cook it on my grittle it is wonderful. I look forward to the spring when I can grill asparagus and fry moral mushrooms. This is usually my entire dinner meal for a week or two depending on how long the mushrooms last. Enjoyy you won't be disappointed.