Asparagus?? Help!

Options
xomakaxo
xomakaxo Posts: 86 Member
I'm not a big fan of asparagus, but my bf is so I want to cook/prepare some as a side-dish (w/maybe chicken), but don't know of any yummy ways to prepare it besides just steaming it plain... any ideas/recipes?

Replies

• MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I love asparagus grilled or sauteed with a little bit of freshly grated Parmesan. Yum!
  • aangrisani
    Options
    Sauternes it in a little olive oil with garlic and a little lemon juice and black pepper. Top with some lemon zest. I love lemon on my grilled or sauteed veggies.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I put it on a baking sheet with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic and bake it for about 15 min (until just toasted on ends) at 325 F
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I sautee it with a little olive oil and garlic and towards the end just add a little balsamic vinegar on it! It's delicious
  • delilah514
    delilah514 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite ways to fix it if I am not just steaming it is to cook it in the oven with a little bit of olive oil & balsamic vinegar drizzled over it. You can also add pepper or other herbs to it. I have one called California Seasonings that I really like to use. Basically you can use any sort you like, but I would try to go salt free if possible.
  • BRBARA
    BRBARA Posts: 1
    Options
    steam in water after rinsed and ends snapped off. not long 3-4 minutes. drain. return to saucepan add 1 tsp margarine or the same of olice oli.. heat briefly again, sprinkle with 1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese. eat immediately.

also good steamed in paper bag in oven drizzled with olive oil excellent with a clove or two of minced garlic.
  • purplebikini
    purplebikini Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You too will LOVE asparagus made this way. Wash in cold water...cut off about 1 1/2 inches of hard ends...put into a microwave container with 3/4 cup of water and cook on high covered for 5 mins. Drain and then in seperate cup add 1 tbsp butter...1/2 tsp garlic pwd...1 tablespoon soy sauce... 1/8 tsp blk pepper and juice of 1/4 lemon. Microwave about 45 secs. Pour over it top and you too will LOVE asparagus.
    P.S. Don't overcook it if you aren'g going to serve it right away. Every time I serve this people love it!! Enjoy!!!!!!!
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I used to hate asperagus until I figured out I was cooking it too long. I only let it boil for 3 mintues now and I can't believe how different it tastes when it is not overcooked.

I also like to broil it with a drizzle of olive oil and some almond slices.
  • naebear99
    naebear99 Posts: 73
    Options
    One of my favorite ways to fix it if I am not just steaming it is to cook it in the oven with a little bit of olive oil & balsamic vinegar drizzled over it. You can also add pepper or other herbs to it. I have one called California Seasonings that I really like to use. Basically you can use any sort you like, but I would try to go salt free if possible.

This is what we usually do. It's REALLY good.

I also like it steamed, but then I usually want to dip it in just a little mayo and dijon mustard mix. A little fattening, but I try not to drown it in dip - just a taste.
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    put it on skewers and grill it. I also put it on my george foreman grill with some I can't believe its not butter and a touch of seasalt
  • jon_dub
    jon_dub Posts: 166
    Options
    Take some Aaparagus let it sit in some balsamic vinegar for an hour then grill it for a about 10 mins then put it and the balsamic in a small pan for baking sprinkle some blue cheese on it and back for another 5 minute.. its Yummy
  • kbloodworth
    kbloodworth Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Sautee with olive oil, salt and pepper, and after add about 1/4 cup of water after the first 10 minutes to soften it. Otherwise it is too crispy and hard to eat.
  • braungal
    braungal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I simply put it on my stoneware (Pampered Chef) and put it in the oven until a little tender. Since the stoneware isn't suppose to have oil on it I leave that step out, plus it is healthier without. Sometimes I sprinkle some parmessian cheese on at the end or sprinkle some Tastefully Simple Smoked Paperika seasoning on it. Good luck!!
  • xomakaxo
    xomakaxo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! I think I'm going to try poppin em in the oven. That's a new idea for me!
  • Larry7995
    Larry7995 Posts: 55
    Options
    I stir fry it in olive oil with bok choy, green onion, broccoli or whatever veggies I have on hand and some frozen cooked shrimp, usually garlic, kikkoman soy sauce and maybe ginger for flavor.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    steam them in the microwave just for a bit so they soften. char them in a frying pan with a bit of pam and kosher salt! soooo good
  • ty79
    ty79 Posts: 3
    Options
    I too am not a big fan of asparagus but I have found if you marinate it in Italian dressing and then either grill it or I often cook it on my grittle it is wonderful. I look forward to the spring when I can grill asparagus and fry moral mushrooms. This is usually my entire dinner meal for a week or two depending on how long the mushrooms last. Enjoyy you won't be disappointed.