College student-snacks on the go

Options
I'm a full time college student with a part time job. I don't spend much time at home, so I have to take my food with me. Does anyone have any suggestions for healthy snacks on the go (low cost and no refrigerator needed)? I enjoy dried fruit and fresh fruit. Dried fruit can get expensive so I'm just looking for alternatives.

Does anyone want to share their favorite snacks? (:

Replies

• jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    100 calorie packs - there is a good selection and we love to have them with a meal as desert or as a snack. An apple would be good too as you do not need to refrigerate them. Also, if you don't mind room temperature - baby carrots are a favorite for me too.
  • kelssmiles
    kelssmiles Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really love emerald dark chocolate cocoa nuts. They rule. Bananas also make awesome snacks.
  • aangrisani
    Options
    Chocolate rice cakes with peanut butter, replaces the peanut butter cup in my mind.
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Crunchy granola bars. 2 bar packs. Eat one now, save the other for later. Usually 180 calories per pack of 2 bars (90 cals each).
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Hmm, bulk nuts are a good alternative, but can also be pricey and some people struggle with the calories. One of my favourites though: sliced apple, with a little container (about 1-2 tbsp, just make sure you measure) of peanut butter, with some cinnamon and sweetener mixed in. It is sooo yummy, and no refrigerator required. You can also make your own trail mix, just mix some cereal with dried fruit, maybe some nuts, or chocolate chips, or whatever you like.

I also really like cans of V8 and protein shakes, because they don't require a fridge, but they can get a little pricey, and it's probably better to stick to natural foods anyways =)
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    @ annigrisani, that sounds awesome, I can't wait to try that!
  • sunshinel397
    Options
    As someone who is constantly on the go, I try to grab these snacks to toss in my backpack:
    Fruit-apples, bananas, oranges
    Nuts-almonds, peanuts, etc.
    microwave popcorn (pop at home before you leave)
    Protein bars
    string cheese
    veggies-carrot sticks, celery sticks, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers
    peanut butter (or other nut butter)

They all hold up pretty well.
    Best of luck to you!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions above...random sidenote, they sell LOTS of cute insulated bags now that look like purses, you can even pick them up relatively cheap at a store like Ross, Big Lots or The Christmas Tree Shop.
  • softballerchik1
    softballerchik1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love emerald dark chocolate almonds, pretzels and mustard, laughing cow cheese and crackers(on days you can keep something a little cold or wont be keeping the cheese out of the fridge for long), natures valley granola bars, bananas, apples and peanut butter, dry cereal, cinnamon almonds....
  • seearainbow
    seearainbow Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    When I was in college, I bought up a bunch of small ziplock bags and made my own "100 calorie" or whatever amount of calorie, snacks. It's much cheaper to measure and bag the food yourself than to pay for a company to do it.

Good things to stick in a bag to go:
    -Dry cereal (I liked frosted mini wheats or life cereal)
    -pretzels
    -carrots
    -animal crackers (okay, not so healthy, but it's all about moderation!)
    -nuts
    -popped popcorn (I like to use an air popper without any butter or oil...about 1 cup popped is around 15 calories. You can add some of that I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray (0 cals) and it tastes great! But the spray isn't so good for the baggie on the go so I'd suggest just having it plain if you can stand it).

Lots of things will work for this! Just check out some snacks and see what the serving size is and the calorie amount for that. If the serving size is too small, and you feel like you would need more for a snack, try something else.
  • embym
    embym Posts: 65
    Options
    I eat Special K bars, cheese sticks, or I'll measure out some cereal and put it in a bag.
  • get_it_gone2012
    Options
    I'm in college too!
    I like rice cakes with peanut butter, or special k snack bars (only 90 cals!)
    Baby carrots and celery sticks also make great snacks.
    I really rely on peanut butter right now, on rice cakes, crackers, bananas, you know it! It's super good, and filling :smile:
    I like nuts too. And you can usually get away with a container of yogurt if you take it out of the fridge in the morning and eat it around lunch.
  • rebecca916
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. (:
    I do have an insulated lunch bag and little ice pack.
    I will definitely try some of your ideas!
  • mmanderr18
    mmanderr18 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm in college too! Lately I never leave my dorm without a FiberPlus Bar! I usually eat the Chocolate Chip ones that are a delicious chocolate treat and are only at 120 calories and are full of fiber so they really fill me up! I was eating the 90 cal special K bars for a while but they don't really fill me as much and I found myself eating 2 or 3 of them in some cases which certainly was not the 90 calorie snack I intended. I've never done that with FiberPlus.. Its all what works for you though :)
  • amandarusco
    Options
    TLC Kashi granola bars or any kind of granola bar
    almonds, cahshews, nuts
    apples, oranges,
    string cheese
  • alexis92
    alexis92 Posts: 64
    Options
    I love FiberOne Bars too! i have those for breakfast everyday. saltines are a good, super-low-calorie snack you can eat on the go. if you want something tastier i recommend nature valley sweet and salty almond bars. 160 calories and really yummy! dole fruit gel cups are so good and don't need to be refrigerated, plus they come with a mini spork under the lid! if your college makes pre-made sandwiches, those are also great for a quick lunch on the go.