Who works midnights?

Options
Hi everyone,

Just started a new job and it's going to be 3, 12 hr midnights a week. Just was wondering how everyone logs their food these days? I don't think they're going to be in a row either, which means my sleeping is going to be all screwed up pretty much everyday. I mean it seems like its going to completely mess up my diary..and schedule in general. I'm kind of nervous about making the switch because I'm afraid I'm going to mess everything up!

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• sarahnicolexoxo
    Options
    I don't work midnights but, maybe you can plan out your meals in advance and log them all in. Or, if you have a smartphone, their app is helpful.
  • italianabambina
    italianabambina Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I used to work late nights..and I didn't think of it as "Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner"..It was always "Meal 1, Meal 2, Meal 3". I started my day from the time I woke up and it ended when I went to bed. The good news is that you can always go back to the previous day with MFP and add what you ate, if needed.

It won't be so difficult as you think!

GOOD LUCK!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I've worked night shift for 3 years now. I simply log everything from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed on the same day and on the day that I wake up.

For example, today I woke up at 3:30 pm, but I won't be going to bed again until after I get home from work around 7:30 am tomorrow. I log all the food between those times on March 6 cause that's when I woke up. My "breakfast" was at 3:45 pm, but that doesn't matter. The TIME doesn't really matter. But it's easier for me to keep it all on the same log because if I worked first shift, all the food I ate between waking up and sleeping would be on the same calendar day.
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Ok someone told me they didn't eat any extra but I am like you my aren't in a row I have kids so I will need those calories, what I need ( at the advice of my PT), is took the base number of calories and divided it by the number of hours I am usually awake, mine is 1430, I usually try and sleep 9 hours so, I then take 15 hours and divide it by 1430 which is 95 calories an hour, for any extra time I am awake I a lot my self 95 extra calories, so I will be awake 6 extra hours on (this is my calcs), so I will get 570 extra cals on these days....
  • jrlenig
    jrlenig Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I've worked night shift for 3 years now. I simply log everything from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed on the same day and on the day that I wake up.

For example, today I woke up at 3:30 pm, but I won't be going to bed again until after I get home from work around 7:30 am tomorrow. I log all the food between those times on March 6 cause that's when I woke up. My "breakfast" was at 3:45 pm, but that doesn't matter. The TIME doesn't really matter. But it's easier for me to keep it all on the same log because if I worked first shift, all the food I ate between waking up and sleeping would be on the same calendar day.
    I think this is different when you are not sleeping in between I get of at 6:30am and I get a 3 hour nap at 12:30, and then I don't go to sleep until normal time, that is 6 less hours of sleep and your body needs fuel to continue to burn evenly.
  • adellepuppy
    adellepuppy Posts: 130
    Options
    I think there might be an initial jolt on your diary but then your log will be your log. I suppose it doesn't really matter when you opt to start your calorie count and when you opt to end it for the day. I can imagine with your situation you may want to start you log with dinner and close it after lunch. Then you'll be sure to not miss closing out before the date changes. I think all that will do to you is on that first day when you close after lunch you'll get the warning about not eating enough calories in a day. But we all get that now and then. =)
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I work evenings, so generally I eat one meal around noon before going to work in the afternoon, eat my main meal of the day at work around 6 p.m., and something when I get home after midnight. I labeled mine: Before work/Breakfast, At Work/Lunch, After Work/Dinner, so it also works when I'm off or on vacation. I log each day from when I rise until I retire. If you change your schedule on your days off, you might have to average your calories over the week to keep it straight.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the tips :)
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Wow... I worked graveyard for a year and a half... it's rough. I hope you will be able to get proper rest. I would try and just do your day the way you would, only starting at 8pm or whenever you wake up. I do not envy you. Good luck!
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I know its gonna suck...sooo not looking forward to it!
  • Hardemanwifey
    Hardemanwifey Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have been working 12hr nights for 5years. What I do is I use the 24hr day as my day, after midnight I log everything I eat on the new day. I usually sleep from 11a-5p and get up and do it all over again. I still manage to eat all my meals when I have to work but when I'm coming off of working 12hrs and I don't have to work that night I only seem to eat about 2 meals if that. It seems to work for me so far but it's all about trial and error and what will work best for your body. Hope this helps.
  • kristibluesky
    Options
    calories still count in a 24 hour period. So for me I switch back and forth. 12 hour days and 12 hour nights. so I still start a new day at midnight and close out the day before calories and start a new one.