Love my body changes...but my face...ouch.

Options
Since I have started working out everyday I am loving the changes in my body everywhere but my face.....I haven't stopped breaking out in acne on my chin for over a month now. I have never had acne before, even as a teen :embarassed:

I am eating good, I only drink water (no coffee, tea, pop, nothing but the exception of maybe one hot chocolate a month maybe...) I wash the make up off my face before bed, apply acne medication but it's only getting worse each day I wake up....it's really upsetting me! On Thursday I am doing a presentation for 120 people and I am mortified that everyone will be staring at my face instead of listening to what I have to say....and I am not kidding, it is *that bad*

I am using the same tried and true makeup I have used for years so nothing is new, nothing has changed....just that I am eating better, exercising more and getting healthy. Sucks that my face has decided to rebel during this process!!

Any suggestions? Home remedies? Over the counter help? I'll try anything!!

Replies

• kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I know if I wash my face with a cleanser too often I break out even more than before!!! I have just switched to a new cleanser and moisturizer that I can use every day.... before it was like 1 or 2 x a week otherwise I jsut had to use water... and no moisturizer!
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Check out the "regimen" on acne.org, it helps and it's simple :smile:
  • Daisygurl7
    Daisygurl7 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was same way - Never had a problem til now!! Your body is getting rid of toxins...hopefully once we're into the routine of things, it'll stop? I would wash your face immediately after working out, if you work out with make up on...stop. You can get those face wipe cleansers if you can't or don't have time to wash your face after working out.
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... the only thing I can possibly think of is do you wash your face right after working out? Maybe the sweat is clogging your pores? Also, are you still using the same face wash that you've always used? Maybe you need something new or stronger because of the extra sweat from working out?

Those are really my only suggestions! I'm so sorry, I hope someone can help!
  • lrnldfrd
    lrnldfrd Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Mary Kay has a great line of skincare products, including a blemish control toner and acne treatment gel that really work! Do a search on www.marykay.com for a consultant in your area and give her a call - I'm sure she'd be happy to help you find something that works for you! Best part is, they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee, so if it doesn't work for you, no problem :) Hope this helps!
  • tadaforever
    Options
    My forehead breaks out like a mini-rash everytime i 'over do it' at the gym.

The only way i've found around it, and it only USUALLY works, is to wash my face immediately before and immediately after- as in- hop off the treadmill and go right for the sink.

this can over-dry your skin, too, if you use regular soap. Maybe use dove soap or a non-detergent facial cleanser.
  • ajwall3
    ajwall3 Posts: 187
    Options
    I would see a dermatologist. Your body can do crazy things at times. I never had acne as a teen but when I got on b.c. pills and then came off them my face was horrible. Went to a dermatologist and she said I had Rosacea. Prescribed Finacea and it has been my wonder-drug. Eventually my skin evened out and I haven't had any breakouts until I started working out.... now it's cleared up.

Losing weight changes the hormonal levels in your body and that alone could throw you into a full-blown breakout. I would talk to a dermatologist just to be sure but I think it's hormones due to working out and losing weight.
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    I don't wear makeup much, but I'm thinking, if you're reducing stuff such as food oil contents, your body may be trying to sabotage you by absorbing oils from makeup - not sure if this could happen, but my thought is to try a new foundation. I know it can be costly, but may be the only way.

Good luck finding a solution.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Losing weight changes the hormonal levels in your body and that alone could throw you into a full-blown breakout.

Great point!!
  • jbqueen
    jbqueen Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation, and my dermatologist put me on Duac (but really, any good benzoyl peroxide cream can work) to wear during the day (under makeup), and then Retin-A micro for the night. It really, really helped, plus the Retin-A helps with my wrinkles. :wink:
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    these are all great suggestions...I generally roll out of bed and work out so I will try to first wash my face before I work out. I have my morning shower immediately after. Perhaps I do need a new facial cleanser...and I hope it toxins escaping my body and they never return again!! Yes a dermatologist is a great idea....SEE I knew I could count on you all to come up with a whole bunch of ideas for me to use!!!

As for my presentation on Thursday, you think if I throw a big bandage on my chin and tell them I was in some sort of skiing mishap I could get away with that? :laugh:
  • kristibluesky
    Options
    have you added a lot of fat free sugar free diet foods?
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    have you added a lot of fat free sugar free diet foods?

i eat fat free yogurt and a fat free jello cup everyday -- other than that I do eat a lot of fruit with natural sugars.
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    something you can try on the day of your presentation is to put saline solution (eye drops) on your pimples...i read that it will reduce the redness and swelling. never did try it myself, but it's worth a try. mary kay's acne treatment gel worked very well for me when i was breaking out a lot. it's only $7 too, so pretty affordable. i'm no doctor, but what someone else said makes sense...maybe it is all the toxins coming out and it's getting worse before it gets better. also, i agree that you shouldn't workout with make up on. hope you find a solution that works for you because i know how annoying acne can be!!

Oh and I just remembered...I saw on Dr. Oz today or yesterday that skim milk can cause acne in some ppl.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    one trick i've tried before and learned about on makeupalley.com is to make an aspirin mask, which got 2000+ good reviews. dissolve a few tablets of uncoated aspirin in warm water, then rub it on your face and leave it for 10 min. (to have it stick better, you can mix in some lotion.) it is pure salicylic acid, which is what most acne medications have as the main ingredient. but since it's concentrated, that's why no more than 10-15 min is recommended. it will dry out your acne and also give a nice glow to your face! try it out and see how it works. a bottle of generic uncoated asprin is less than a dollar too.
  • Harshberger24
    Options
    OH GOOD! I thought it was just me. It is all over my chin area and won't go away! I have tried everything.. I go for years with just the occasional pimple during my TOM and now this!!! YIKES!
  • ajwall3
    ajwall3 Posts: 187
    Options
    Losing weight changes the hormonal levels in your body and that alone could throw you into a full-blown breakout.

Great point!!

Thanks!:drinker:
  • Lstrode
    Lstrode Posts: 51
    Options
    I had acne really bad once before, but it cleared up. Since I've been exercising regularly, my face has started to break out again! Glad it isn't just me. I hope you get yours cleared up... it is aggravating! I'm gonna try the dissolved aspirin mask and see if that helps! And I hope it is just toxins leaving!!
  • jratcliff82
    Options
    Being 28 and never having a problem with break outs, I always considered myself lucky. I mean I've always had very clear skin...until now. Since I've started my diet my face has started to break out, not much to most ,but to me its a lot. It's funny really, all my life I've ate unhealthy, butter on every single thing I cook. I use to drink 20 to 30 cans of Dr. Pepper a day and not one break out, not even during p.m.s. I hate this, I hate that while trying to better myself and my life I've all the sudden turned into a 13 year old. It's not fair! UGH!:grumble:
    You're not alone hun!