How did you figure out your ideal weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    Hi all, I'm struggling with this! I'm 5' 3.5", 161.2 lbs, with a current bf% of 28.7. I'm pear-shaped and a small frame with the exception of my hips. I had a range in mind when I first starting losing weight and now I'm just not sure. Depending on the formula I use, my ideal weight is anywhere from 114 to 137.5lbs. Anyone have any good suggestions as to how to figure out what weight I should be shooting for?

A rule of thumb is for a woman take 100 lbs at 5' and add 5 lbs/inch. So at 5'3.5" ideal would be 117.5 (100+ 5*3.5).
    A rule of thumb for a man is to take 106 lbs at 5' and add 6lbs/inch. So at 5'3.5" ideal for a man would be 127.

That also means DW's goal weight is higher than mine. Yeah, she's that much taller. :noway:
  • revdris
    revdris Posts: 11
    Options
    I was borderline depressed over this concept when I looked at a chart that said my ideal weight was 145lbs (considering I don't know when I ever weighed that - my first scale memory was being 150lbs in 8th grade).

A few weeks ago I went to the doctor and had a discussion with her about obesity & ideal weight (I was 340lbs that day). She agreed with me that the "ideal weight" should not be my goal based upon my frame and overall body composition.

She set a goal of 190lbs for me to work toward because she said I have a very solid frame and am tall. My previous doctor also said I should not necessarily aim for the chart weight either.

I would recommend having that discussion with your doctor to set a realistic and attainable goal.

I figure, if you have the equivalent of another person to lose like I do, the last thing you want to do is get to a "healthy weight" and have everyone ask you if you are sick. :laugh:
  • mommamorris
    mommamorris Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I did the same as you! i did the BMI and it said i should be 130 and im 5'1'' so if that gives you a range to be in. id say anywhere between 130-145. but im not a medical physician so... maybe ask ur doctor?
  • mommamorris
    mommamorris Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i agree!
  • staceywoo
    staceywoo Posts: 56
    Options
    I'm also 5' 3 and started my weight loss in August at 168 lbs. I decided to aim for 133 lbs as this was nicely into the healthy bmi range and I was happy at that weight before I gained weight a few years ago. I'm now at 134 lbs and I'm going to try to lose a few extra lbs and then I'll stop - you can't really know until you get there. I'm naturally quite muscular (my thighs have hardly changed size at all as they're just solid!) so I don't want to drop any lower than 128 lbs as I think I'll just look too thin. BMIs etc are just for guidance, I'd recommend just losing until you're comfortable and feel healthy - don't get too fixated on numbers!
  • Mairgheal
    Mairgheal Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I just went for BMI, I was determined to be below a BMI of 25 and I made that. My next target is a (UK) clothes size 12 and I'm very close to that (I fit in them, but too tight, so I want them to be comfortable).

I reckon once I'm there, I'm happy enough to keep it at that.
  • dixiechicdana
    Options
    I would shoot for the high end of 137. If when you get there, you feel it is not enough, reset your goal. I am 5'1 and carry 135 pounds quite well. When I drop to the 120's I look like a baby bird without feathers LOL
  • turpz
    turpz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm confused about my ideal weight, I'm already closer to the bottom end of the range for my height, but I've got flabby bits and not even really started losing yet. Reckon I'd need to drop maybe 7-10lbs to see a noticeable difference in wobbly bits, but then will be underweight. And it's not like I don't have any muscle mass, though not as much as I'd like.

How much importance should we put on these 'ideal' weights? I know that very muscly people will come across as too heavy using them, but if I'm too light but not too skinny... what does that mean, hollow bones lol?
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I would shoot for a weight near the top end of the ideal weight range...maybe 130 lbs and reassess. I am only 5 foot tall wgucg gives me a range of about 96-138 lbs. The chart I looked at split up body frame sizes. At 138 I was uncomfortable and out of shape and chubby. At 109 lbs I looked like I might slip through the cracks in the side walk and had no energy, experienced fatigue and my monthly hormones were super screwed up. I am short but muscular and very fit. I have found 115-120 to be perfect for me. I wear size 0 to size 2 clothes....etc.

At first I just wanted to be in the 120's somewhere...but then as I was changing my eating habits and training for a marathon etc I melted away the other pounds. When I dropped below 120 and got in the 109 -113 range I was struggling. I didn't feel great etc...I knew I needed to beef up a tad. I made sure I ate all my exercise cals and switched to maintenance...which ironically is when I gained a few pounds back...I found a perfect middle ground cal wise and the ideal weight found me. My cals in is a good amount. I am satisified with the amount and types of food I eat. It is not a struggle anymore and I don't feel hungry or deprived...which I would for certain if I tried to get smaller and mantain that...now I just do what I do and this is where I stay. So start with a weight or a size of clothing (I actually think this is a better idea) and see how you do with it and decide from there.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    you can't really know until you get there.

That's what I am thinking too.

I selected 145 as my target weight because in the past I think that is where I looked my best (I am 5'7"). I haven't been that weight in about 10 years so who knows what will happen when I get there. I may settle on a higher or lower number, depending how I look and feel when I get within striking distance of my goal.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I picked a "toned 10 stone" with my nutritionist/ coach as an achievable first goal. (That's 140 lbs).

I'm 5' 2" and that would still be above the upper limit of healthy bmi, but I don't want to be a slave to an arbitrary bunch of numbers ;-)

I'll reassess when I get there. I'm now fitting into UK size 12 clothes which I'm happy with (sorry, but in my opinion a US size 0 is waaaay too skinny.....)

I'm also happier with my shape - the definition in my arms, my slimmer calves and less flabby middle and butt. That's actually more important to me than the numbers on the scale.

Though I do daydream about seeing a single digit figure there (i.e 9 stone something....)