do you workout when your sick?

Options
We came home from a trip on Monday and that night I felt like crap. This morning I woke up with a horrible head cold. My head is throbbing and I feel like there is a little man in my head using my head as a drum.
I want to workout but I just don't think I'll be able to do my best.

My question to the rest of you is do you exercise when your sick?

Replies

• sweetbri07
    sweetbri07 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling crappy all day. Sometimes its just best to let your body rest and recuperate, otherwise you may make yourself more sick. I've only done some light stretching today, just to keep loose and limber. Just rest and get better. Tomorrow is a new day. Feel better!
  • Ignotus
    Ignotus Posts: 31
    Options
    Cold: Yes.
    Flu: No.

Basically if you have a fever don't. Otherwise working out will actually make you feel better faster!!
    Make sure you hydrate a ton before so, that will also help your head.
    Feel better soon and good luck!
  • DTelleen
    DTelleen Posts: 13
    Options
    Have been for the last four days (same head cold crap)......it suuuuuuuuckkkkkks. But I know I'd feel worse if I didn't.
  • lildazey
    lildazey Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I kept going to the gym with my last cold/flu, and I swear I was way worse by evening, both times I ventured out. This time, I'm taking it easy, hoping that with rest I can get back to the gym faster!
  • Aylilth
    Aylilth Posts: 125
    Options
    You body need to rest to fight the cold.

Stay home I would
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Depends on the severity. Sometimes exercising will prolong your sickness because your body is craving rest. I would just do a sort of mental checklist to check your motivations, attitude, etc. I was very sick one day and didn't work out but the next the morning I was feeling much better and got up and worked out but ended up sick again that night.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I struggled with this question for years. I always wanted to workout while sick if I could, but some Dr./health professional convinced me that it wouldn't really increase my fitness level. That i'd be better off letting my body use its energy to heal. That way I get better faster and then could exercise like crazy :tongue:

So, i say - go to bed and heal!

Eat light if it makes you feel better, just get some good calories/nutrition.

Best
    julia

:flowerforyou: for your bedstand!
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    unless i am puking, then yes
  • mkeller234
    mkeller234 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Personally I would just rest and feel better. I also don't like the thought of going to the gym with sick people sharing machines with me.
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ignotus is right.

Exercise with a cold can do wonders. Just make sure you clean the apparatus well. You don't want all others the catch that cold too.

Sick = rest is a western medical concept that doesn't go down well elsewhere, e.g. in Asia. My colleague broke her ankle while rock climbing. Hospital told her to sit and vegetate for 6 weeks. A local bomoh massaged her ankle few times and got her back to walking 3 days later. Honestly!
  • kristibluesky
    Options
    no its not a good idea to work out when you are sick.
    rest and fluids are the best. Ask your doctor but I am pretty sure the answer is no.