NO SALT!

Options
Hiya!

I'm thinking about giving up salt and not putting it on ANYTHING i eat. I knew someone who did that and lost SO much weight, including very little sugar....what's your intake on this guys?

Replies

• anna441
    anna441 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I cannot go without salt...

Good Luck...
  • MommyLumpkin
    Options
    I think it's a great idea! There are so many ways to season your food without it. Try Mrs. Dash..it's tasty, and they have variety.
  • Kelsey214
    Kelsey214 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Sounds kind of hard, salt is in almost everything now a days.
  • BrittBritt117
    Options
    Excess salt makes you retain water, so yeah, you might drop some water weight. More importantly, though, is the effect excess salt has on your blood pressure!
  • FruitLoop05317
    Options
    i gave up salt sugar soda and fried foods for a week and lost 9lbs. thats how i started my diet
  • LaurenRoseMD
    Options
    Now that I no longer know what you mean I am going to ask for clarification. lol Are you talking about cutting out table salt (sodium chloride) or sodium?
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Except for eggs I almost never add salt to anything. The problem is there is so much hidden salt when we go out to eat and in food in general. I have much more trouble controlling my Sodium Levels than I do controlling my Calorie Count.:noway:
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    As long as you plan on never eating any packaged foods or ever eating out again it sounds good. I am just going with reduction of salt where I can or increasing potassium to offset the salt.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I never salt my food but every thing you buy has salt in it. Everything in a package, can, bottle, meat, and fish. Best wishes
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    That is an admirable goal! When you say no salt, you mean not adding salt or seasoning with salt right? Because salt is not the same as sodium and a lot of foods naturally have sodium (most meats, some veggies, etc). They have a lot less sodium than packaged foods and so it's actually a good thing because your body does need sodium, just not nearly as much as there is in packaged foods. Good luck!
  • Luna001
    Luna001 Posts: 9
    Options
    No adding salt or seasoning with salt i meant, sorry!
  • LaurenRoseMD
    Options
    No adding salt or seasoning with salt i meant, sorry!

That's a good step. Table salt (sodium chloride, NaCl) is roughly 40% sodium and 60% chloride. So cutting it out is good especially if you use it a lot. It's an easy way to reduce your sodium intake a bit.

A lot of people consume 4,000 to 6,000mg of sodium per day. Sodium is crucial for human survival, but not in the amounts that most people consume. If you are already hypertensive you should consume no less than about 750 mg of sodium and no more than about 1,500 mg of sodium per day. If you're not hypertensive then you should consume no less than about 900mg of sodium and no more than about 2,500mg per day.

Anyway, good luck, and I hope this helps.
  • dottieg3
    dottieg3 Posts: 5
    Options
    I find that Mrs. Dash works well; they have table variety, lemon-herb variety, tomato basil variety, mexican variety and I season with fresh lemon and other fresh herbs. Squeezing fresh lemon or finely grating zest can take the place of salt. I found out I am allergic to salt in foods and it is very hard to eat out or use pkg foods; I buy low sodium or no salt added items ie crackers, broth or other pkg products. It is like anything else that is a big change (drinking tea or coffee with out sugar) but you can get used to it.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I use a product called "NO SALT" and thought that this was what the topic would be, lol.

No Salt is potassium chloride...no sodium in it at all, but tastes exactly the same. When I have a recipe that calls for salt, I use No Salt instead.

I find that food already has sodium in it anyway, so why would I ever add to it with salt, sea salt, or anything else with sodium?
  • kevinthenerd
    kevinthenerd Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

I'm thinking about giving up salt and not putting it on ANYTHING i eat. I knew someone who did that and lost SO much weight, including very little sugar....what's your intake on this guys?

Salt doesn't contain any energy usable to your body. A low-salt diet is healthy, and you're going to lose a little water weight initially. It's not a long-term solution to excess fat, though.
  • LaurenRoseMD
    Options
    Hiya!

Salt doesn't contain any energy usable to your body. A low-salt diet is healthy, and you're going to lose a little water weight initially. It's not a long-term solution to excess fat, though.

Salt (NaCl) may lack energy, yes, but sodium (Na) is a nutrient that the human body REQUIRES for survival. I just wanted to clarify your point a bit.

Generally speaking, a person can cut out 100% of their added salt (table salt added in addition to sodium level already present in food). I have actually done this, and I still get my necessary sodium intake each day without adding extra salt. ;)
  • finafilms
    finafilms Posts: 40
    Options
    Always sounds tough but once you realize how much flavor you can add without adding salt it is amazing! Fresh herbs such as dill, parsley, and cilantro can add a lot of flavor as do spices like cayenne. Lemonizing works well or braising/steaming in low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth give a lot of flavor without the added salt. Marinating helps with proteins such as chicken and fish. Just make sure you are getting your needed iodine (for thyroid) through kelp supplements or sea vegetables.