HELP...I'm confused

Options
I've only started calorie counting since Monday, I'm a bit confused so want to get it right now before I carry on!

My daily allowance is 1200 calories, I exercise at the gym at least 3 x a week to burn some calories off. Yesterday I burned 600 off so my calories for the day went up to 1800. Here's where i'm confused......do I use the 1800 or stick to the 1200? My diary on here told me I had 1800 calories so I went along with it but I'm beginning to wonder if thats the right thing to do.

x

Replies

• dixiechicdana
    Options
    I "think" it is saying that since you burned extra calories, you can eat the extra and still stay within your weight loss goal or 1.5 or 2 pounds a week, or whatever it is. It did this to me today too but I stuck with my 1200 calories.
  • Lexie28
    Lexie28 Posts: 219
    Options
    Everyone is different...some people tell you to eat your exercise calories back while others will tell you not to. I eat some of mine back...not all. It's an individual thing but if you're burning 600 calories in a training session...I think it's only wise to eat some back or in reality you're only consuming 600 calories a day ( your 1200 - 600 in exercise). Hope that makes sense.

Cheers
  • timplar
    timplar Posts: 19
    Options
    For quicker results, sticking to your 1200 calories/per day would be better. By burning 600 calories, you created a caloric deficit of 600. Like you said, this does allow you to add 600 extra calories without gaining any weight, however, if you used the 600 cal burn to your advantage, you will see faster results.
  • xoCaseyox
    xoCaseyox Posts: 19
    Options
    Thank youu!! Sometimes I feel like 1200 isn't enough but want to see weight loss quicker. I think I'll sick to the 1200, but when exercising the extra calories are there if needed, thanks guys :))
  • SteveC_71
    SteveC_71 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The app is designed for you to eat any calories you burn. The calorie value is set based on the weight lose you have selected and no activity. If you consistently don't eat back your exercise calories you are getting far to few calories and your body will slow down your whole metabolism and go into a starvation mode. It's not a problem if you don't do it one day but if you don't eat them back day after day you'll body will react to it.

As a side point just drink plenty of water - I have found from my own experience when you drink your water the weight starts to drop.
  • xoCaseyox
    xoCaseyox Posts: 19
    Options
    Yeah thats great, thanks for the help!! x
  • mutleyreid
    Options
    The app is designed for you to eat any calories you burn. The calorie value is set based on the weight lose you have selected and no activity. If you consistently don't eat back your exercise calories you are getting far to few calories and your body will slow down your whole metabolism and go into a starvation mode. It's not a problem if you don't do it one day but if you don't eat them back day after day you'll body will react to it.

As a side point just drink plenty of water - I have found from my own experience when you drink your water the weight starts to drop.

True.
  • CherylYMerritt
    CherylYMerritt Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi Casey, I had the same dilemma...to eat or not to eat.

Eating less than 1200 is not the way to go, to stay healthy you have to eat your 1200 calories a day.

I was running which would create a deficit of around 400 calories per day. I did not eat back the calories. Between my 1200 calorie a day diet, clean eating and running I lost around 8 lbs in two weeks. Great.

Then I added weight lifting to my routine. Still not eating my exercise calories. I lost nothing on the scale for two weeks.

I decided to eat back my exercise calories....guess what....I started losing weight again.

Moral of the story...when exercising creates too much of a deficit and you don't eat back your calories..you will plateau.
    You really do have to eat more (I eat every 2-3 hours, six times a day, clean eating only) to lose weight and stay healthy.

Everyone is different. That was my experience.

Cheers!
    Cheryl
  • heatherslosingit
    Options
    I still stick to my calories I do not add on what I have burned, and my weight is coming off nicely!
  • heatherslosingit
    Options
    4637954.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods:love:
  • mrsweigl
    mrsweigl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I also have 1200 calories a day, so when i do intense workouts at the gym where i burn more than 800 calories i eat about half of them back. I have been losing a little more than a pound a week which is awesome (yes i wish it were more but i think this is ideal for me)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    For quicker results, sticking to your 1200 calories/per day would be better. By burning 600 calories, you created a caloric deficit of 600. Like you said, this does allow you to add 600 extra calories without gaining any weight, however, if you used the 600 cal burn to your advantage, you will see faster results.

I have to disagree with this wholeheartedly.

MFP factors in a deficit FOR YOU. For example, on my goals page, it says:

Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 2,080 calories/day

Net Calories Consumed*
    Your Daily Goal 1,200 calories/ day

Daily Calorie Deficit 880 calories

Projected Weight Loss 1.8 lbs/ week

PAY ATTENTION TO THE FINE PRINT: * Net Calories Consumed = Total Calories Consumed - Exercise Calories Burned

Your GOAL calories and NET calories should be even at the end of the day. Eating less than that means your body doesn't have enough energy to properly function!

CALORIES = ENERGY.

---

Simple rule of thumb: Make your NET calories EQUAL to your GOAL calories.

...in other words...

EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES.

---

I have a lot of lbs. left to lose but I've been doing it this way for the last 68 days straight and I've lost 21 lbs. It works.
  • Aylilth
    Aylilth Posts: 125
    Options
    Ok my rule of thumb is this.

There are days when I can burn 800 cals a day with a 500cal burn at the gym, then doing my school walk everyday is a rough 300.

Now I can eat those yes, but I listen to my body. If I am hungry I will have a snack. Yogurt fruit etc. But if not I do not worry about eating those cals back.

Also if I want to be cheeky I'll have a Latte at home you know those sachet type things. Little bits of Cals.

But ya I just listen to what my body tells me if I need it I'll eat.