silly question or is it?

Options
Ok here's a silly question. How long should you wait between eating and exercising? Is it like swimming? Wait an hour before going into the water and anyway is that a myth?

Replies

• jon_dub
    jon_dub Posts: 166
    Options
    not sure if there is a time for me as long as what i am eating does not upset my stomach i can eat then exercise right after.
  • chloe4369
    Options
    My personal trainer told me you should wait 30 minutes after you exercise to eat.
    :)

hope i helped
    xxx
  • jamiek89
    jamiek89 Posts: 105
    Options
    Thats not silly at all!
    I leave it outside of half an hour. I find I get pains otherwise!
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will give it 30 min, and then guess I will learn from how I feel.
  • welcominganewself
    Options
    It depends on what you are eating. I would definitely not recommend a big meal before working out, but I often have a piece of fruit or granola bar right before for a little boost of energy.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I personally work out after breakfast. I have a normal sized breakfast, not something small like a piece of fruit. I normally wait 2 hours before working out, and then I have a post workout meal within an hour of finishing which for me is Shakeology...used to be a protein shake...but either way, I don't like eating solid food right after working out because it nauseates me. But the drink actually helps my body to recover.

Sometimes if I know that I am going to be strapped for time during the day, I will eat something small and wait 30 minutes to work like suggested above. But the bigger the meal, the longer I wait.
  • SteveC_71
    SteveC_71 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think most of it is myth and legend. Certainly eating then going swimming straight away has no basis in fact.

It's down to personally preference and what works for you. Personally I like to eat about an hour before a workout so I have the energy from the food and tend to have something little like a banana after. But it's a suck it and see really - what works for you is best for you.

I think there are far too many ideas about what and when to eat and this burning different things. The more complicated something gets the less likely you are to do it. I just stick to calories in - calories out and keep the food as natural as possible.