Is and Egg and Egg?

Options
Or do you think one is better than another. :huh:

I have always bought store brand and not really thought about it. My friend buys Egglands Best stating they are healthier.

I bought the 4 Grain farm fed eggs and cant find anything different about them. I kinda feel like a sucker for paying an addl $1 for these eggs, but if they are truly better for me I will continue.

Cuz I loves me some eggs!!:tongue:

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

I have always bought store brand and not really thought about it. My friend buys Egglands Best stating they are healthier.

I bought the 4 Grain farm fed eggs and cant find anything different about them. I kinda feel like a sucker for paying an addl $1 for these eggs, but if they are truly better for me I will continue.

• krystalmoore1986
    krystalmoore1986 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I can taste a difference in brown organic eggs vs plain white ones, maybe its just psychological though:laugh: i love them though
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I can't tell the difference...I buy whatever's cheap!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    you're paying more because the livestock is feed and treated more humanely. you may also be paying more for a quality brand. An egg is an egg. a brown egg is as nutritious as a white one. Some eggs do have Omega-3 added though, that is a valid difference.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Supposedly, there are eggs that are healthier--it think they are higher in omega 3 fatty acids or something like that. It has something to do with what they feed the chickens. A healthier diet for the chickens means a higher quality egg. I can't taste a difference. Before gas and grocery prices went so high I would buy them, hoping they were actually healthier. Prices being what they are today, I go for the less expensive.

I usually will spend a little more on quality, but the budget is getting tighter every day.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Eggs are not created equal? I prefer organic brown eggs, medium ones.

Here's a simple and true fact. If your store stocks an egg similar to the one your friends mentioned and the only difference is one is store brand and one is egglands, chances are they are identical in everyway except egglands may have chosen the prettier shelled eggs or a certain size egg and the ones they think don't meet their expectations are then packaged as generic eggs.

I did pay more for my eggs until I found a similar egg at a different store for a little less. Omega 3's are not all they are touted to be, and besides, the healthier a food package claims it to be the less likely it is to actually provide the nutrition it promises. There are plenty of ways to get your omegas besides paying more for your eggs!

Some other sources high in omega 3's:
    Kiwi, flax, lingonberries, black raspberries, butternuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, grass fed beef and milk and cheese produced from grass fed cows, chicken (grain fed or organic), lamb, eggs (the chickens are fed fish oil to produce the omega 3 so you could take fish oil yourself), acai and fish.

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Personally I can taste a huge difference in organtic vs. no regarding eggs....what the chickens, cows, pigs and all the rest eat...well, that does make a difference in the taste and how healthy it is for our bodies.

Brown or white same thing....doesn't matter.... but some organtic foods in my opinion I really can tell a flavor difference...like Yummy Fat free Organtic Milk vs. :grumble: Hormone Milk. :grumble: :laugh:

But yes, prices have shot up for everything so my organtic choices are not what I wish they could be...but gotta keep gas in the vechicle for my workouts...healthy foods in the house...etc.

I think if you can afford quality go for it....they say what you eat most of is what you should choice organtic in.. and especially some veggies and fruits that are normally high in pesticides (google and you'll surely find a list) you want to stear clear of as often as possible.

merely my thoughts and some facts tossed in as well:flowerforyou:
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    EB eggs are nutrionally better. I saw something on tv the other day. I think it was on the show "Unwrapped" (Food Network) and it was interesting.

Check out this EB link...http://www.egglandsbest.com/nutrition/nutrition-facts.aspx
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    please go for the free range eggs...
    chicken can kept in really awfull conditions.. it really does do a difference
  • arewethereyet
    Options
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I didn't used to like eggs, but I am getting the hang of it. I love the egg white egg beaters, farm raised brown eggs and the eggs with the omega 3.....

yes, there are times I eat reg eggs from the store, mainly because I am in a hurry, don't have a lot of cash on me at that time.

But generally, I always have diff varieties in the frige!!!!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Have you ever had eggs straight from the farm? My grandmother lived on a farm and farmed her own eggs all her life. When I was a kid she always made me scrambled eggs for breakfast... those are the only eggs I taste a difference with. fresh farm eggs... although I couldn't tell you why, lol
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

I wholeheartedly agree on eating free range anything....I really can taste the difference. :drinker:
  • littlespoon
    Options

I wholeheartedly agree on eating free range anything....I really can taste the difference. :drinker:

I agree too. Have you ever seen the difference between an egg thats cage, and egg thats farm? Its quite amazing. The yolks are heaps bigger and a much darker yellow.