Lent and fasting, anyone else out there?

Options
rmhand
rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
I know its common to "give up" something for lent that is a luxury. What are you "giving up" or maybe adding?
Also how are you handling the fasting? Not working out today?

I have chosen to give up chocolate, I love it but need to break the habit.
Also I am doing a moderate fast today, no eating between meals. It feel a little funny because since I track my food I know exactly what I am eating and its hard for me to determine if it really counts as fasting.

Replies

• molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up peanut butter and peanuts for Lent this year. Last year I gave up chocolate like you and it was hard, but I did it! I'm not fasting, as I am not very religious. Good luck!
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    hi, I am among other things, trying to avoid the scale every morning and use that weigh in time to get closer to God! So I will get the little devotional book and read for 5 minutes instead of weighing on the scale! hOpe you have a good journey!
  • lizzyb0601
    lizzyb0601 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am debating whether I will give up anything.
  • kris1085
    kris1085 Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I am, going to exercise every day and be under my calories each day and loose 14 pounds then i will be in onederland
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I am very interested in this topic as I am Catholic, but definitely could improve my "practicing" of the faith. I am giving up my scale for Lent and alcohol. Today, I am attempting to fast - but I am allowing only liquids. V8 juice, milk, water, and prune juice will be my "calories" for today.
  • rizorw
    rizorw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I am giving up my evening snacking. My pastor has asked us to give up one meal per day as our fasting, but I am already limiting my calories so 1 meal would be too much for my body. So evening snacking will help me in my weightloss and honor my commitment to the Lord.

Stay strong and God Bless!
  • Capucine72
    Options
    I am very interested in this topic as I am Catholic, but definitely could improve my "practicing" of the faith. I am giving up my scale for Lent and alcohol. Today, I am attempting to fast - but I am allowing only liquids. V8 juice, milk, water, and prune juice will be my "calories" for today.

I'm doing the same. No scale and no alcohol.
  • rmhand
    Options
    Thanks for the great responses everyone. I am learning about becoming catholic and I am currently acting and thinking in those ways to see if it is the right path for me right now. I feel like if I cannot make these basic commitments then anything further in my journey of faith is out of the questions but things have been going great since September and my BF and his family are very helpful and supportive in answering my questions and guiding me on my journey, but still letting me take my time.

Thank you for sharing your journey and goals with me!
  • reeveskl28
    reeveskl28 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am giving up Meat the only thing i will eat is fish, its hard for me but i will do it!
  • MuseumMonkey
    Options
    Protestant (Evangelical) here. My church doesn't "officially" practice Lent but I know lots of people in it who do. I'm not fasting today, but this weekend I'm doing a 30 Hour Famine (www.famine.ca).

I'm giving up most computer games for Lent, with some exceptions:
    1--Wii Fit
    2--Facebook Scrabble against my mom, because it hardly takes any time.
    3--if someone wants to play a 2-player game with me, which is very rare. I can't initiate it, though!

A couple of years ago I gave up candy for Lent. I dropped some weight and saved some money but I was very grumpy for most of it. Not spiritually beneficial for me! I hope giving up computer games will be, because I'll hopefully actually spend more time in prayer.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    For a while last year I was doing a dinner to dinner fast each week and felt great I'd really get into feeling my body's signals. I don't really participate in Lent usually because I was not raised Catholic and am not now either but I do like some of the practices. I've been having soda here and there so I suppose I can give it backup completely and quick it before it because a morning habit again.
  • rmhand
    Options
    I have been cutting back on chocolate lately anyway for weight loss, "clean eating", reducing sugar spikes and all around health. I tough part will be that its all chocolate. Brownies, frosting, oreos, candy bars, m&ms, cocoa powder, chocolate milk, hot cocoa, chocolate cake, chocolate frozen yogurt.

I know I can splurge on Sundays but I'm going to try not to.
  • chrystal559
    chrystal559 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I did that last year. I gave up fish and after the first week it wasn't that hard.
  • chrystal559
    chrystal559 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am giving up junk food. So all the things I know I should be eating I am not going to do. No chips, candies, cookies, soda, or pastries.
  • blueviolet20
    blueviolet20 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up weighing myself for Lent, and Facebook. Way too addicted to both of those things! I've already committed to exercising everyday and eating healthy too, for weight loss, so I don't know if that's a Lenten thing or what. But, I'd also like to read the Bible everyday during Lent as well, and hope that it's a habit that sticks.
  • dino1147
    dino1147 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Giving up pop (soda) even diet - I am Pentecostal so we do not practice Lent but our church does recognize its importance.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up chocolate, but since I am already really focused on my diet right now, I thought it would be "cheating" to consider it my lenten obligation. So I have added not speaking negatively about anyone.
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    I am not giving anything up, but instead am committing to saying a rosary (1 set of mysteries) and reading the bible each day.

I am fasting today, and will on Fridays throughout Lent. My "fast" for today might not be as much as some, but I am training for a marathon so can't risk eating too little. I ate a good breakfast and will have tuna sandwich, orange, peppers & hummus, and a yogurt-split into two snacks. No official lunch since I will attend services at that time. Dinner will be homemade tomato soup, and maybe a sandwich-we'll have to see what my body says.

God Bless!
  • carolinenp
    carolinenp Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm not Catholic but, I do see the importance of making a sacrifice.

Like others, I thought about giving up alcohol but, I don't think it's possible for me. LOL

I am going to give up fast food. (does subway count? lol)
  • cama2681
    cama2681 Posts: 10
    Options
    I am giving up sweets ... no candy, cookies, cake, donuts, pastries, nothing of that fashion.