Any fellow nail biters out there???

Options
MarybethAltizer
MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
I figure since I am conquering this weight loss, I can conquer biting my nails too! I wear artificial nails, but once they come off, I start biting! It drives me crazy! Anybody else out there with this problem? Suggestions? I think I need a nail biting challenge! LOL

Replies

• katrinadizzle
    Options
    Well, you aren't alone, but... I still bite my nails, lol. I quit before by chewing chicken bones each time I felt the urge... I don't know, I was nine and my very-country grandma told me to. Lol xD It did work, though. Lately I've been trying to figure out what triggers it, whether it be nerves, anxiety, etc and face the emotion instead of biting my nails to deal with it.

Good luck quitting though :)
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    haaa sad to say i was actually biting my nails while reading this! :grumble: i usually dont bite my nails if they are painted... i am only tempte when i see the actual nail. you can always put nasty tasting things on your hands. I have used hand sanitizer before...
  • Sardine239
    Sardine239 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Haha, yes, I do! It's so bad, I let them grow out and then I get stressed, and I bite them all off. This was midterms weeks, so yeah, mine are all short now.
  • carrieloveshk
    carrieloveshk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't bite my nails, and haven't for years. But I cannot stop biting my fingers! It's completely disgusting, and I will do it until it hurts too much to bear it, or they simply start bleeding. Ugh...

I am trying to do the same, also try to lose weight, and that horrible habit! Haha.

My strategy is: try to make it a conscious act, and stop myself when I am going to do it. I know it sounds kinda senseless, but it has worked for a couple weeks, then it stops working when stress attacks, then it works again... I don't know.

We can get rid of that bad habit! :)
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I don't bite, I just pick at them with with my other nails and it's a nervous habit for me. I hate just sitting still and when I'm in a mtg and it gets boring and I have nothing to do, yeah, that's when the nails start to come off lol. I've had fake nails once and yeah, they helped some, but I hate how my nails are when they come off :( Sorry I don't have any tips to stopping, but just wanted you to know you're not the only one!
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    Same here... and I can no longer have fake nails for my job :( its going to be so hard, cause I either pick my nails or bite them.... I need to stop!! :)
  • MarybethAltizer
    Options
    Oh my goodness, thank you so much for the support! I REALLYYYYY want to stop this nasty habit! My sister in law and I have a mini goal of getting mani's and pedi's if we lose 10 pounds this month, so I want to be able to just get a manicure on my natural nails instead of getting acrylics again.... I think it would really boost my confidence!
  • chelledmal
    chelledmal Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Both hands up! I bite my finger nails. It's not a nervous habit or anything that I can think of. It just seems to bug me when they get long and I can always get a smoother edge with my teeth than I can with clippers! I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's like they get caught on everything if I don't bite them off! I also have very brittle nails. Is this a result of biting them? They peel back :( I do better when I have lotion or something on my hands. And having hard nails during pregnancy was great...had long perfectly shaped nails. Not sure what my problem is! haha!
  • aneajo
    aneajo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Fellow nail bitter here. I had nice nails for awhile about 5 years ago. I used a nail hardner every night and it really worked. But then I married and moved to a country home and started turning all country and there went the nails.

I just bought some more stuff a couple of weeks ago, but have yet to open it. :(
  • MarybethAltizer
    Options
    haha Michelle, isn't it ridiculous? I don't know why I bite mine either, boredom? maybe but I just don't know. My mom said I have been biting since I was 3...anyway, It's time to stop!
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I always bite my nails!! I'm trying to grow them out and not bite them so I want to break the habit since I'm getting married next summer and my mom will faint if I have stubs haha! I use Sally Hansen grow polish, works well, makes them very strong but then I find that I peel the polish off sometimes lol doesn't really help! it is such a bad habit but I've gotten better over the past couple months. I bite when I'm nervous, bored, hungry... all the time haha Hoping to polish them and put a nice fake french manicure on them this weekend to ward off biting :)
  • GatorLvr13
    Options
    I still bite my nails..I hate it and I have tried everything and still haven't been able to stop. I have been biting my nails since I was about 6 years old. I hate how my nails look and I can't have fake ones because I work in the Vet field. Hate that I haven't been able to stop..I quit smoking (13 years ago) but can't seem to quit this habit!! Hate It
  • megan_h26
    megan_h26 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I still do that and I have almost tried everything.
  • iwillsucceed0444
    iwillsucceed0444 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    ^ewww fetish much???? wow....