Protein

Options
I have been sticking to my calories each day but on occasions i have gone over on my protein, anything up to 10g a day. Will this have a big impact on my weight loss??

Replies

• cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    it shouldn't. If anything it will help your muscles recover better if you workout.
  • dian1227
    dian1227 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Having a similar problem. I'm usually over on my protein, I love chicken and fish. I used to eat alot of beef but could not keep my calories in check, so I keep that to once a week now.

I'm still losing so I'm guessing that a little extra lean protein a day is actually helping. And remember that the suggested calorie amounts can be altered in the goal page if you need a little extra protein.

Blessings,

Diane
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about protein----the more extra lean protein you eat, the more satisfied you are going to be and it wont raise blood sugar levels either keeping you more satisfied. Again, jsut make sure it is lean--low fat/low calorie, like turkey, chicken or fish. I eat about 110 grams a day every day, has not affected me at all. Its those carbs that will affect me but I wont let them cuz I keep them at 85 a day.
  • doodle85
    doodle85 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thank you. I have only been doing this a week, lost 2lb in the first week but just wondered if it was a possibility. I also eat a lot of chicken and fish which makes it over.

When you start losing more weight, will your calorie intake automatically reduce or do you have to change it?
  • SteveC_71
    SteveC_71 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    A small amount of extra protein is good for your muscle recovery and growth. The formula I have seen is body weight in kg x 0.8g protein for normal adult but if you're doing strength / resistance training that can increase up to 1.5x

Plus protein keeps you feeling full for longer so it has added bonus.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    MFP give you 15% protein. I try and get 40% protein which is well over 100g a day. You have nothing to worry about. It's great for muscle recovery