Giving Up Anything For Lent?

Options
agataarchangel
agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
Hi everyone!

Just out of curiosity, is anyone giving up anything for lent? 40 days is quite a long time, but are there any of you out there that have pledged to give up anything in terms of food, or something else for that period of time? I've never done this myself, although I am considering trying it this year. Rather than give up a certain thing or one type of food, however, I've decided to try to 'give up' post-dinner snacking. This, hopefully, will help me with my overall health/eating goals.

Anyone out there trying this this year?

Replies

• aehenson
    aehenson Posts: 86
    Options
    Last year I gave up alcohol & it ended up going 4 months instead of just 40 days. It helped me shed about 15 pounds. This year I'm giving up beer & only having red wine if I have a drink. Should help!
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up on not drinking enough water.

That sounds a bit lame, but, y'know, I gave up all animal products a while back, and I refuse to give up my snacks.

I guess I can give up alcohol too.
  • DaisyMoo86
    Options
    im giving up two timing lying cheating MEN!!!! lol x
  • findingabetterme
    Options
    Facebook! My friends think Im crazy but Im doing it. Of course I have MFP to get me through the "dark time" LOL. I also am giving up tv (my whole household is doing that) - we unplugged it and covered it in a sheet yesterday.
    I can lose weight and I can go without some electronics...I CAN DO THIS!
    PS...food wise Im staying away from candy - but since I am trying to do that anyway with the new way of eating I didnt think that was such a sacrifice.
  • emedaris
    emedaris Posts: 1
    Options
    Giving up Cappacino coffee and donuts. Giving up popcorn. Those items alone are a big problem for me. I have been called a Dessert Pig.
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    I usually name SOMETHING, but this year I'm doing it ALL!

I'm giving up ALL junk food!! ALL OF IT!!!

Purging mind, body, and soul for the next 40 days.

*fingers crossed*
  • elaine010570
    Options
    im not going to give anything up as ive already given loads up to loose this weight so i am going to pledge to exercise everyday for 40days and eat very healthy, x so its not always about what to give up it could also be about a change u are going to make x good luck everyone who is giving something up xx
  • kamk16
    kamk16 Posts: 205
    Options
    I too have decided to give up facebook. Like findingabetterme said I still have mfp. I was going to put something on my wall about not doing facebook for lent but never did. I know this will help me stay on track with other things like house work:yawn: since I won't be playing games anymore:happy: Good luck to everyone giving something up:drinker: you can do it.
  • RichB77
    RichB77 Posts: 88
    Options
    As i've cut down on my alcohol, and am eating healthily, i've considered all the options, and so i have cut out BREAD.

I know it's going to be a challenge, and i will miss it terribly!! :sad:

However, remember that Lent is also about inward reflection, trying to improve your outlook on life, and not just the fasting.

Good luck on your journeys everyone :drinker: .
  • shbriscoe07
    Options
    i have considered to give up cheese. But i dont know if i can do it. I LOVE cheese :smile:
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up coffee for lent. :indifferent:

*twitches*
  • Louiselesley
    Louiselesley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have to say I'm giving up nothing. I don't have terribly bad food habits and I don't snack too much so I have nothing to give up that won't really affect me. I used to give up chocolate but I eat it so rarely now that I don't see the point as it's like a reward for me when I'm feeling great!
  • elinger
    elinger Posts: 33
    Options
    I was a huge chocoholic and one year I gave up chocolate for lent it was not easy but after the forty days I realized it was all in my mind. This was 4year ago and still to this day I do not need or eat chocolate like I did. But lent can also be not only for giving up but for adding or doing something in your life as long as it is done with a good heart. I intend to give up soda's diet or otherwise and to continue my new excersis regime without fail. I wish you all luck in your choices and good luck to me also. :happy:

2665187.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    As i've cut down on my alcohol, and am eating healthily, i've considered all the options, and so i have cut out BREAD.

I know it's going to be a challenge, and i will miss it terribly!! :sad:

A good substitute for a PB&J is a sliced apple with two tablespoons of peanut butter for dunking. I find it helps to microwave the peanut butter for ten seconds or so first, so it's easier to scoop.

That's all I've got, I never tried to give up bread.
  • rsprinkle
    rsprinkle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Your sacrifice of tv and other electronics will give you more time to exercise and stay connected as a family, I am impressed!!!! good for you!!!!
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up coffee for lent. :indifferent:

*twitches*

God loves me and created coffee just for me. He doesn't even want to talk to me unless I've had 2 cups :drinker:
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up drinking anything but water....

.... and coffee
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    I usually name SOMETHING, but this year I'm doing it ALL!

I'm giving up ALL junk food!! ALL OF IT!!!

Purging mind, body, and soul for the next 40 days.

*fingers crossed*

This is a good choice!!!!!! good luck
  • Dbow0207
    Dbow0207 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up Facebook, Excessive Spending, Sex, and Alcohol.