A cheat day is not ok!

Options
You would not give a drug addict in rehab one cheat day. Having those sweets will only make you want more.

Replies

• Kristina0202
    Kristina0202 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I still have sweets, just in small amounts.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I also still have sweets, just low fat / low cal / low sugar ones, and don't substitute *meal calories* for them.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily disagree with your points, I just don't like telling people what they can and can't eat. Different things work for different people, moderation, a cheat day or abstaining....all of those are options anyone can succeed with.
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    I have a "cheat" day where I eat cals up to my maintain calorie allowance but I don't use it for sweets I use it to enjoy an 8oz sirloin steak with a Jkt potato and salad or a meal out with my husband who I only get to spend Saturdays with cos of his job x I get what you say about a drug addict but I think if you have good self control and the will power to succeed a "cheat" day every now and then is ok
  • lk227
    lk227 Posts: 28
    Options
    Cheat days are not bad. You just have to teach yourself to eat in moderation. Have a treat but don't feel bad about it afterwards and use it as an excuse to overeat.
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personel thing, what everyone eats. We didn't come here to be judged or pass judgement
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Also comparing to a drug addict might be a bit heavy-handed.

Don't know that everyone is necessarily coming off of specific food "addictions," and even if so, food addictions are not the same physiologically as drug addictions.

That said, it does need to be treated carefully.
  • Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You would not give a drug addict in rehab one cheat day. Having those sweets will only make you want more.

Are u really comparing ppl here to drug addicts? :D
    If you don't have the self discipline to stop after allowing yourself to have some sweets, then hey stay away from it. But you can't really put everyone in the same boat here can you. I have no problem eating some sweets on Saturday and then staying away from it the rest of the week. Sooooo. Yes, on my part, a cheat day IS OK:
  • not2late
    not2late Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a cheat day. You can't cheat yourself.

For many losing weight is about a lifestyle transformation. That is a very personal thing. If we have our own inner demons and weaknesses we know them well enough and can choose whether to confront or avoid them. Likewise we cannot presume that what demons or weaknesses we have ourselves apply to others.

If for example someone had the will power to cut down from eating a box of chocs a day to having a box of chocolates and taking just one a day as a treat then great. As for myself....that would be a recipe for an epic fail!!!!!
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    sugar is an addiction.

you can live without it in your diet quite well. it's just a want, not a need. (I am not talking about fruit here, im talking about refined sugar / syrup / white / raw / brown)

alas, the comparison to the drug addict I agree with. My Personal Trainer even compared it to drug addiction to me. If I go off of sugar I WILL lose weight, no matter how unrefined it is.

most weight loss comes from changing your food and removing the evil things from your diet, not just exercise. sugar, refined, syrup / brown / white / raw / icing, is a big problem in storing fats.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    I don't agree with you on both points.

A drug addict can still have drugs... must have drugs... if you call medecine, pills etc drugs. You can't just NOT give a former pills addict NO pills for treatment just because he has been addicted to pills before...
    Things are different for cocaine and similar, I admit :-)

And a cheat day is ok... as long as it helps people stay on track and as long as it's a day and not a month...
    I personally don't plan cheat days. They just happen... I usually am careful to not go over my calories too much, but sometimes life happens, I have people visiting, am invited, family gatherings, whatever. Even though I want to lose weight, I don't want to give up life!!! I won't say: Sorry, can't accept your invitation as I'm already at my max calories.. I might say: ok, one glass of champagne is enough, give me some water for the rest of the night.
    I won't miss any of my social life just because I try to lose weight.

My mum always said: diet is at home, when we're out we enjoy! And she was soooooooooo right with this!!!

MM
  • angieb1978
    Options
    I HAVE A TREAT DAY I HAVE SOMETHING ONE A WEEK ON MY WEIGH DAY THAT I LOVE EATING IT KEEPS ME GOING AND GIVES ME SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TOO AS WELL AS THE WEIGHT LOSS :D
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I learned a long time ago that I can't deny myself for very long. The cheat meal (I never do a whole day) doesn't even slow down my weight loss and it keeps me motivated for the whole week. This is supposed to be a lifestyle not a diet. My lifestyle requires sweets and greasy stuff every now and then. :)
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Im so sorry treat days make you want more,I can have a treat everynow and then and not go crazy.
    Um having been a drug user while I would say food addiction is a real and powerfull thing it is not really comparable to herion addiction
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    It's not a cheat day. Life includes sweets and salties. Life includes ups and downs. I can have cake as long as I also have broccoli.

Sugar does NOT make you gain weight. Overeating, over eating ANYTHING makes you gain weight.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I eat what I like in moderation. That is the only way to sustain this lifestyle long term. There are no cheat days because I am not denying myself to begin with.

:flowerforyou:
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Nothing like a totally non-controversial first post.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

:)
    an odd first post....
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

lmao
  • 1hottime
    1hottime Posts: 3
    Options
    I THINK A CHEAT TREAT IS OK, A DAY? HUM? IF YOU WANT A CHEAT DAY JUST MAKE SURE YOU GET IN SOME EXTRA WORKING OUT SO THERE MAY BE A BALANCE. IF I KNOW I'M GOING SOMEWHERE I TRY TO GET MY WORKOUT IN EARLY IN THE MORNING, EAT LIGHT DURING THE DAY AND THEN ENJOY MYSELF THAT EVENING. I HAVE EVEN GONE OUT AND ENJOYED MY DAY EARLIER AND THEN WORKED OUT LATER. IT ALL WORKS OUT, IT'S HOW BAC DO YOU WANT THE TREAT. I LOVE POTATO CHIPS AND CHOCOLATE BUT I DON'T INDULGE VERY OFTER CAUSE ONCE I GET STARTED IT'S HARD TO STOP. SO THESE THINGS I HAVE IN MODEERATION AND ONLY OCCASSIONALLY. CHALLENGE URSELF AND A FRIEND TO NO SWEETS,NO TREATS FOR 30 DAYS, THEN AFTER THAT HAVE A TREAT. WE DO IT ALL THE TIME, A GROUP THING MAKES YOU MORE ACCOUNTABLE.