Trying not to quit, so Work out less or Eat more?

Options
I had lost 100 lbs , then I started taking a "break". I gained 20 lbs back (18 above my goal weight). I finally started back on Feb 15th. I immediatly lost 8.5 lbs , with another 1.6 to follow. All in the first 9 days! Now, I know that the majority of this was water weight. 5 days later without explaination ( except sodium?) I gained 1lb. Now another week has passed and I am exactly the same!!! I can't even seem to relose that 1 lb!

My question is, do I start to eat more or do I work out less?

I already feel like I eat too much, but the majority of days I stay under my calories. I work out at least an hour everyday at a pretty good intensity. If I eat badly I work out more to compensate. But, most day I do not eat my exercise calories. I am so confused about the NET calories, even after reading all about them on here. I have ended up with a NET of @ 700 a week. So, I do not know why I am not losing!

Replies

• fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I would try to scale back your workout a little bit, or change it up a lot! Do something totally diffrent for a week or 3, if that doesnt work-- Change up your food!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Without being able to see your diary I can't say for sure but 700 net calories is not enough to keep the body functioning effectively. I would definitely suggest getting that closer to 1200 a day and see what happens. Good luck.
  • ChessRonin
    ChessRonin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Also, what kind of foods are you eating?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I had lost 100 lbs , then I started taking a "break". I gained 20 lbs back (18 above my goal weight). I finally started back on Feb 15th. I immediatly lost 8.5 lbs , with another 1.6 to follow. All in the first 9 days! Now, I know that the majority of this was water weight. 5 days later without explaination ( except sodium?) I gained 1lb. Now another week has passed and I am exactly the same!!! I can't even seem to relose that 1 lb!

My question is, do I start to eat more or do I work out less?

I already feel like I eat too much, but the majority of days I stay under my calories. I work out at least an hour everyday at a pretty good intensity. If I eat badly I work out more to compensate. But, most day I do not eat my exercise calories. I am so confused about the NET calories, even after reading all about them on here. I have ended up with a NET of @ 700 a week. So, I do not know why I am not losing!

since you don't have much more to lose I would suggest you change your goal to lose 0.5lbs/week and to eat your exercise calories. This will get you use to higher calories, and when you go to maintenance it wont be such a shocking jump in caloric intake.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for the 100 pound weight loss. How did you stick with it long enough to lose that much? I lose about 10 pounds and then gain it back. I've doe this many many times. I feel defeted. I wish I could help you but I can't seem to help myself.
    I just wanted to say Copngrats. And I'm proud of you.
    Deb
  • msmj
    msmj Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It could be sodium. Try drinking hot lemon water. It will flush out the sodium. You are doing great!!!
  • ashandbensmom
    Options
    Deb- Thank you! I was on Weight Watchers for 2 years ( 2 1/2 now) . My leader was awesome and inspired me greatly. Honestly, I stuck with it because my father said I couldn't do it. I know that is silly and there are many other reasons now that I benefited from it , but that is what kept me going. It is mainly mental. Until you have your head in it completely you won't be able to succeed. You can do it !!!

Morganadk2- I have read those and I am still confused! LOL

kao708- When you say get my Net to 1200 , that is what confuses me. So, are you saying I need to eat more?
  • Lady_G
    Lady_G Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You might find that you are not losing so much because of excercise. I don't know how much excercise that you do, but remember that muscle weighs heavier than fat and if you are doing loads of excercise, then eventually you will get heavier.

Personally I prefer to do excercise because this adds calories to your goal.

Good luck anyway
  • erickirb
    Options
    Deb- Thank you! I was on Weight Watchers for 2 years ( 2 1/2 now) . My leader was awesome and inspired me greatly. Honestly, I stuck with it because my father said I couldn't do it. I know that is silly and there are many other reasons now that I benefited from it , but that is what kept me going. It is mainly mental. Until you have your head in it completely you won't be able to succeed. You can do it !!!

Morganadk2- I have read those and I am still confused! LOL

kao708- When you say get my Net to 1200 , that is what confuses me. So, are you saying I need to eat more?

yes. You should eat your exercise caloires so the amount you have left for the day are near 0. Just follow MFP it does all the math for you.
  • erickirb
    Options
    You might find that you are not losing so much because of excercise. I don't know how much excercise that you do, but remember that muscle weighs heavier than fat and if you are doing loads of excercise, then eventually you will get heavier.

Personally I prefer to do excercise because this adds calories to your goal.

Good luck anyway

Probably not muscle gain, it is extremely difficult to build muscle while in a caloric deficit, and as a woman lack the testosterone that helps build muscle.
  • ashandbensmom
    Options
    Not to sound like an idiot, but what's the point of working out then? I don't want to eat that much. I don't even think I could eat that much without making very bad unhealthy choices.

I know it can't be muscle, at least not this soon.