Sinus Pressure/Headache/Migraine after exercising

Options
This is my first post on here, and I'm hoping others have similar problems that they have solved, or advice. Whenever I do any sort of cardio, I end up with a migraine, the kind where I see spots, or an aura. This happened when I was at my ideal weight, and still now 70+ lbs overweight. I started taking sinus meds right before my work out, and that helped prevent the aura, but not the headache. These headaches are mostly in my eyes, and really make the rest of my day not so enjoyable. It eventually makes me give up the exercise, because the pain just isn't worth it. I have been told I should see a neurologist for an MRI, which I need to schedule, but any ideas in the meantime?

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You might be pushing yourself too hard. Try easing up a little. Maybe do some moderate cardio for a little longer rather than high intensity. If it's still happening you can always check with a doctor.
  • queenbsw
    queenbsw Posts: 8
    Options
    I've had this exact thing happen...Although it happens all the time because I have sinus migraines frequently. My good ol' doctor said to take sudafed, and I did, but I also combine it with ibuprofen! Within 45 minutes I'm pain free! I struggled with this for years before I discovered this remedy. I'm not a doctor, of course, so this is just a suggestion!
  • claire0928
    claire0928 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I get exertion headaches which are rare but more likely in people who have migraines. Basically I've learned that I really need to watch my heart rate. For me the magic number is 190. If I push it that hard even for a few seconds I end up with a headache that becomes a migraine later in the day. No fun. Not like I really need to be pushing my heart that hard anyway. I would suggest trying ibuprofen 400mg a half hour before you workout and watching your heart rate. Definitely stop and rest as soon as you feel it start.
  • neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Another suggestion are you not drinking enough water perhaps, as I know from experience when im dehydrated i get headaches.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    If you feel it in your eyes and get auras you might consider a trip to the Opthamologist. Have your eyes checked before and after exercising to see if you have a problem with eye pressure, or if you are getting occular migrains. My mother would get the occular migrains, see spots, auras and tunnel vision. She wouldn't get the pain, but she did pass out on occasion... once while driving and had an accident. Much easier to get an appointment with the Opthamologist than with a Neurologist, and you can always go to the other if needed.
  • xine100
    xine100 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get these all the time- and always have. It does seem to be related to long periods at an elevated heart rate (although I haven't figured out what the magic number for me is yet). Thanks for the sudafed suggestion. I'll have to give it a try!
  • Jennacita
    Jennacita Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Does it happen with all intensties of exercise? I get a sinus headache once in a while after exercise but ibuprofen usually does the trick.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Make sure to get your blood pressure and eye pressure checked and schedule that MRI if the doctor says you need it. Once you know for sure it's not anything dangerous, then you can try other remedies like antihistamines, etc. If your blood pressure spikes with exercise, Sudafed is a BAD idea!