Mirena weight gain/ post mirena weightloss?

Options
I have the mirena, and I'm strugging to loose weight. Mostly I stick to my calories, exercise at least 3 times a week, mostly 4. This has been going on for 2 years now and yes, I'm still the same weight! I just hover around this weight all the time. I'm wondering if it's the mirena. I had my son a few months before I got the mirena, and was steadily loosing weight until that day. Weightloss stopped exactly then. I was looking at charts from a previous weightloss site I used back then. It's very disheartening.
6 years ago I had a different one, I had it in for 3 years and slowly put on a stone and a half, which is what I weigh now.
Should I get it out?? I was thinking of using sponge and spermicide instead.
Had anyone any advice or experience on this?

Replies

• lushy20
    lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    what is Mirena hun is that the contraceptive implant?
  • Sassy_H
    Sassy_H Posts: 11
    Options
    I have the mirena. I had it fitted last year and was struggling to loose weight. I went to the doctor and they insisted its such a low level of hormone being released that this can't be the case. I had bloods done and what came back was anaemia and underactive thyroid. I had to monitored over 6 month period through blood tests and was told it was still underactive, however I personally wanted to try a homeopathic route first rather than thyroxine so I started taking sea kelp for the iodine about 10 weeks ago.

I also count my calories, have cut out bread, pasta and potatoes. Got a personal trainer to make sure I was exercising properly at the gym and started running. I've now lost 21lb in 8 weeks so something is working!

So all I would say is before you go to the doctor to ask for it to be removed, go and talk to them about your weight concerns and what they can offer.

Hope that helps.
  • michie1979
    michie1979 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sassy that's great advice, thankyou! If I can leave it in that would be great :)
    Lushy it's the coil, inserted into womb, lasts 5 years. I've no other complaints about it so I'm hoping my weight issue is something else xx
  • aimlow
    aimlow Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had one between my two kids and I could not lose the baby weight. After it was removed the weight came off much easier.I also had one after my second baby. I lost weight fairly quickly but I was not eating very much at all.
    When it fell out, glad I noticed and there was no unplanned baby and my weight didn't change much.
    I do feel it made weight loss harder. i also spotted the whole time so it did seem to affect my system.
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have the mirena, and I'm strugging to loose weight. Mostly I stick to my calories, exercise at least 3 times a week, mostly 4. This has been going on for 2 years now and yes, I'm still the same weight! I just hover around this weight all the time. I'm wondering if it's the mirena. I had my son a few months before I got the mirena, and was steadily loosing weight until that day. Weightloss stopped exactly then. I was looking at charts from a previous weightloss site I used back then. It's very disheartening.
    6 years ago I had a different one, I had it in for 3 years and slowly put on a stone and a half, which is what I weigh now.
    Should I get it out?? I was thinking of using sponge and spermicide instead.
    Had anyone any advice or experience on this?

YES I had the Mirena for 4 years and gained 13 pounds WITH workout out actively! I was always so fit and thin before and even after both my kids until I got Mirena. Mirena tricks your body into thinking it's already pregnant (so you don't get pregnant) so you gain fat in your abdominal, thighs hips and butt area! I did hours of reading up on it and the average Mirena user gained 20 pounds in 5 years! I'm glad I got it out when I did 6 months ago. I am now a lot happier, less hair falling out in the shower and have already lost 7 pounds!