Very quick healthy lunches?

Options
shoppie
shoppie Posts: 618 Member
I really need inspiration! I'm rushed off my feet as I have 3 kids under 5, including a 4 week old so have very little time for food prep. I'm terrible at grabbing a sandwich which isn't even very filling and is way more calories than I can get away with!

Please contribute your ideas, TIA! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• feliciapeters
    Options
    i love healty choices. easy for me to grab & nuke. I also like the little weight wachers mini pizzas, theres 4 in a pack. that and some bagged salad & im ready to go
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    Soups? Make a big batch packed with veggies and some grain like barley and keep it in the fridge - quick for you and the older kids :)
  • pocketsam
    pocketsam Posts: 134
    Options
    Soup is great if you can make it the night before - maybe at the weekend make a big batch - full of veggies and beans etc. You can then just throw a bowl in the microwave for 2 mins.

There are some GREAT recipes on skinnytaste.com

If you have time to make a sandwich, use low fat Philadelphia instead of margarine for nice creamy taste. Today I had tuna and avocado in mine. One piece wholemeal bread with carrots on side. Really filling.
    Try that website it has loads of ideas! I am building up my blog with recipes too, but mainly dinner ideas at mo.

Hope that helps! xxx
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    ooh, soup is a good idea as its warming too! Any good recipes? :flowerforyou:

ooh, eta thanks for the website suggestion, will have a look!
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Healthy Choice Steamers or Weight Watchers Smart Choices...there all under 300 caleries. Stock up when they're on sale and you'll only spend $2 -3 for each. Hope you find what works for you :)
  • maurita17
    maurita17 Posts: 11
    Options
    i love healty choices. easy for me to grab & nuke. I also like the little weight wachers mini pizzas, theres 4 in a pack. that and some bagged salad & im ready to go

I also love healthy choices!! they are portioned well and have a carb, veggie and a protein... you dont even have to think!
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Every week I go grocery shopping and pick up enough lean cuisines/smart ones for the week for lunch. Just pop it in the microwave for a few minutes and you are good to go. Of course you'll probably need a little snack with it, so maybe grab some apples too. I work full time and go to school part time so I am always in a rush and those are always a good option :)
  • TerraGirl17
    TerraGirl17 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Healthy Choice Steamers or Weight Watchers Smart Choices...there all under 300 caleries. Stock up when they're on sale and you'll only spend $2 -3 for each. Hope you find what works for you :)

The weight watchers smart ones are really good, but they are full of sodium, I was eating a lot of them before I realized how much I was going over in my daily sodium intake, I cut out the smart ones and started to lose more weight and my sodium came down a lot, I rarely go over 1500mg/day now
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Soup is great if you can make it the night before - maybe at the weekend make a big batch - full of veggies and beans etc. You can then just throw a bowl in the microwave for 2 mins.

There are some GREAT recipes on skinnytaste.com

If you have time to make a sandwich, use low fat Philadelphia instead of margarine for nice creamy taste. Today I had tuna and avocado in mine. One piece wholemeal bread with carrots on side. Really filling.
    Try that website it has loads of ideas! I am building up my blog with recipes too, but mainly dinner ideas at mo.

Hope that helps! xxx

Thanks for the skinnytaste.com suggestion. I just took a quick look and already printed something. I'll definitely use this site again :smile:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    1/2 can tuna (canned in water) and 1 cup frozen veggies. I bring this to work 4-5x a week (kept separately so you don't microwave the tuna). It takes <2 minutes to prepare, even faster the second day since you already have the tuna can opened and the remaining half ready for you in a container in the fridge.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

The weight watchers smart ones are really good, but they are full of sodium, I was eating a lot of them before I realized how much I was going over in my daily sodium intake, I cut out the smart ones and started to lose more weight and my sodium came down a lot, I rarely go over 1500mg/day now

The Michalina (sp?) Harmony ones (their healthy line) are .99 at Longos now! I know all about the evils of sodium but for that price I had to just pick 1 up and toss it in the freezer for emergencies.
  • alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options

I agreed with this, all pre-packed food are full of sodium and you'll have to drinks lots of water to even it out. Healthy Choice are the lowest on sodium if you want to go that route. Buy protein bars, or protein shakes too. Good luck
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I would stay away from the frozen meals and soups. They're okay on occasion, but the sodium is a killer! Even the organic choices don't have very good nutrition facts sometimes.

Making big batches of homemade soup is quite quick and easy. Make it on a sunday, and you can store in it take-along containers in your fridge or freezer. Make sure to use low-sodium low-fat broth, and you can pretty much toss in whatever veggies you want. Make sure to include some grains and protein! As far as taste, my opinion is that its all about the herbs and spices used.

Another quick lunch idea is to make a large batch of a healthy dip such as a hummus, yogurt based, or avocado based. put into pre-portioned tupperware to store and chop up some fresh veggies such as bell pepper, carrots, celery, cauliflower, snap peas, cherry tomatoes, etc. These can be pre-portioned in baggies and stored as well.

Granola bars, string cheese, and fresh fruits are also all great take-along lunch items/snacks!
  • clevethin
    clevethin Posts: 26
    Options
    A SanteFe whole grain tortilla [Sam's Club (100 cals, 13 carbs, 4 fat, 8 protein, 7 fiber] with Laughing Cow cheese spread on it.
    Then add tuna and/or veggies.
    Quick. Easy. YUMMY!!!! :love:
  • pocketsam
    pocketsam Posts: 134
    Options
    ooh, soup is a good idea as its warming too! Any good recipes? :flowerforyou:

ooh, eta thanks for the website suggestion, will have a look!

You can try my blog here too :P Its quite good :P Like I said, just getting started!

http://pocketsizedsam.blogspot.com/
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    1/2 can tuna (canned in water) and 1 cup frozen veggies. I bring this to work 4-5x a week (kept separately so you don't microwave the tuna). It takes <2 minutes to prepare, even faster the second day since you already have the tuna can opened and the remaining half ready for you in a container in the fridge.

I love tuna and crackers. Have never tried it with vegies though, sounds yummy. I found that if you put 1tsp of italian herbs and 1/2 tsp peppercorn in a whole can of tuna (5 oz) it is so good. I usually only eat half of it and save the rest for the next day.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I like salads I try to make extra when I have it for dinner so I have it all prepared. Chopped fresh veggies or you can always get the pre cut/peeled and chopped ones. Frozen veggies can be mic'd even quinoa can be cooked in microwave quickly. Add a little left over chicken breast or something.

Remember to make an extra portion of dinner box it up right after cooking if you are afraid you'll eat it or the family will over fill themselves with it. I really love bringing leftovers its truly the easiest.

The packaged ones are nice to have for days you don't make it and meal replacement bars too. I used to alternate fruit with Slim Fast bars as breakfast it was my rough meal for so long.
  • laurakrowe
    Options
    i tend to eat leftovers for lunch :) i'll reinvent them though - like throw rice and beans into a burrito. leftover plain rice becomes fried rice (egg and veggies thrown in). salad into a burrito.
    i also have 3 kids (5yrs, 3yrs and 6 months) but it's just me and the 2 littles during the day while DD#1 is in kindergarten. so i have to appeal to the 3yr old too. we do a lot of PB&J sandwiches, burritos and soup.