Lose Weight-Reduce Calories?

Options
I have been losing weight but the Calorie allowance I have for MFP stays at 1200. Am I missing something? Do I need to go in somewhere so it gets adjusted down a little? Or is 1200 the minimum anyone should be at?

btw...I'm 5'7" 165lbs if that matters.

Any help on this would be great!

Replies

• sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    It won't go any lower than 1200. Eventually, your weight loss will slow down, but will stay consistant.
  • elise115byjune
    Options
    as you change your weight and workouts etc go to "settings" and your profile, update your weight and goal weight and how much you want to lose if you are nearing a point where you want to maintain. 1200 calories is definetely a deficit so you may want to increase so that you are eating so sustain your weight.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    can i suggest you read this they may help!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey
  • avhayden1
    Options
    I like your motto, "If you bite it, write it!" Cool! Keep up the good work!
  • Jamiem2011
    Jamiem2011 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone:)