Evening Snacks

Options
Any suggestions for low calorie, low fat snacks? One hurdle I struggle to leap is eating something while watching TV at night. It is REALLY hard for me to not eat SOMETHING. I've been eating Goldfish crackers, about 230 calories, 110 mini-crackers. Would love to keep my caloric intake at less than 100 if possible. I do really good during the day.

Replies

• StefBeeney
    Options
    Plain Air Popped Popcorn is good... 15 Calories per cup if you don't put anything on it... you can get an Air Popper at most wal-mart like stores fro around $20-25 and then buy whole kernel popping corn... The one I have will make as much as 12 cups (about 1/2 cup of kernels) at a time or as little as 1 cup (about a tablespoon of kernels)
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Special K Chips are good and you get a lot in a serving. Laughing cow cheese and some reduced fat wheat thins. Hummas and crunchy veggies.
  • lbfrueh
    lbfrueh Posts: 87
    Options
    I have this problem at night. My snacking is a little more extreme - chips/onion dip, M&M's, ice cream/ice cream sandwhiches. It's hard (at least for me) when there are little treats in the house for your children. And we don't even have that much because these are "special" treats for them. But I can't help myself which is why I gave up these, and soda pop, for Lent. But is it that you have to have a lot or do you think you can just do a small portion? I started last night eating one 100 calorie snack pack and a small glass of milk. This seems to help plus the milk helps you sleep better. Yes the snacks are small but I found it's enough for me. Maybe even try sugar free jello.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I love the 100 calorie packs. I saved mine from my lunch yesterday so I could have them at night. You can get many different kinds, cookies, chocolate covered pretzels, cheeze it mix, and more. So yummy too. Sometimes I need to eat a whole bag of something so my mind feels full and they come in individual bags so I can eat the whole thing!
  • MsKittyCAT
    MsKittyCAT Posts: 217
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I'm also looking for ideas for healthy snacks so I'll be checking back to see what everyone else is eating.

When I am craving sweets I like Stauffer's Animal Crackers original low fat. You get 16 crackers in a serving for 120 calories. That is a lot compared to other cookies where you barely get a bite. I also like sugar free Jello pudding - cinnamon roll - snack cup is just 60 calories. Sugar free Jello with cool whip lite is also a good choice but just threw last containers out so don't have calorie info handy. Gotta have ice cream? Look for Skinny Cow.

When I need something crunchy I go for Vlasic Kosher Dill Pickles. They are medium size and the jar says a serving is half a pickle but really, who would eat just half? A whole pickle only sets you back 10 calories. I also like fresh green beans raw, lots of crunch and surprisingly sweet too. 2 cups is a satisfying snack. Out of those too, it is time for grocery shopping again!

Edited, checked my food diaries :)
    Generic - Stauffer's Animal Crackers - Low Fat (16 Crackers), 16 crackers 120 calories
    Jell-O (Jello) Sugar Free - Pudding Cup- Cinnamon Roll, 1 snack cup 60 calories
    Jell-O (Jello) - Gelatin Snacks - Variety Pack Sugar Free, 1 snack 10 calories
    Kraft - Cool Whip Free - Fat Free Whipped Topping, 2 TBSP (9g) 15 calories
    Skinny Cow Lowfat Ice Cream Sandwich - Chocolate Wafers With Mint Ice Cream, 1 sandwich 140 calories
    Vlasic - Kosher Dills, 1 oz. (about 1/2 pickle) 5 calories
    Greenline Quick & Easy - Fresh Green Beans, 2 cup 53 calories
  • kmunis
    kmunis Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to drink a cup of green tea at night. If its nice and hot then it takes me awhile to drink it so it "occupies" me. Best of all its so much better than a snack, I use just a smidge of Splenda or a little honey so the calories are super low.
  • joeclanton
    Options
    I can't LIKE this post enough and I thank all of you for your contributions. Definitely going to try and adopt some of these to help control or curb my urges and calories.