After C25K - Suggestions?

Options
I am finishing up the C25K program tomorrow (Week 9-Day 3) and have my first 5K race on Saturday. Very excited for the race! I have loved the C25K program and would like to maintain my running going forward. I was thinking about doing the Bridge to 10K program. However, the running is still a little tough on my body and I've decided that I would really like to first increase my speed with the 5K. After my body gets used to it and a 5K is "easy" I would like to move onto the B210K program.

Does anyone have any ideas or proven plans to build speed/endurance? I work really well with "pre-planned" programs like C25K, which is why B210K is so tempting to start right now. Is there anything like that around to help increase endurance for 5K and get faster? I'm running pretty slow at 5.1-5.3 mph for my 30 minute runs. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Replies

• khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    No real suggestions, but I'm right there with you!! I finished C25k in November. I started B210k but didn't really follow it and now I feel stuck. Still running the 5's pace and can't get faster. I have heard that some people will start C25k a second time to increase speed. I've been thinking about doing that.

let me know if you want a virtual run buddy! sounds like we are at the same place. :)
  • ItsOn130
    ItsOn130 Posts: 269
    Options
    I don't have an answer to your question but I have a question for you! Just curious... Did you do any weeks twice? I just started the program on Monday and am stressing out about week 2 already! What speeds did you start out at? I'm walking 3.3 mph and running 5mph which i decreased from monday, I was running 6mph and didn't end up finishing the entire 30 mins. Also, did you see a boost in your weight loss? Were you doing other cardio besides this? Sorry to pick your brain, I'm just curious!
  • miznel80
    miznel80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You could probably recycle the program but push yourself really hard, run faster, for the mins that you're supposed to run. It won't seem like much at first but the bursts of speed will help build your endurance. I don't know. it's an idea :)
  • aleashago85
    aleashago85 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    A lady that I work with finished C25K and is now restarting it from the begining and just has increased how fast she runs during those intervals and that seems to be increase her ability to run faster and get a better time....maybe try that
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    No real suggestions, but I'm right there with you!! I finished C25k in November. I started B210k but didn't really follow it and now I feel stuck. Still running the 5's pace and can't get faster. I have heard that some people will start C25k a second time to increase speed. I've been thinking about doing that.

let me know if you want a virtual run buddy! sounds like we are at the same place. :)

Would love to have a virtual run buddy :) I'll send you an add!
  • patricac
    Options
    I don't have an answer to your question but I have a question for you! Just curious... Did you do any weeks twice? I just started the program on Monday and am stressing out about week 2 already! What speeds did you start out at? I'm walking 3.3 mph and running 5mph which i decreased from monday, I was running 6mph and didn't end up finishing the entire 30 mins. Also, did you see a boost in your weight loss? Were you doing other cardio besides this? Sorry to pick your brain, I'm just curious!

I didn't repeat any weeks, but I know it's normal to do so! There is a current thread (link below) that is very motivating - you should join it. I would suggest that you go at your own pace. If you feel like you need to repeat a week here and there, you should. The great thing about the program is that you can modify it to fit where you're at. I'll be honest, I was extremely slow when I started. I run outside, so didn't know my speeds when I first started. The shorter run spans I can maintain a faster speed, but for longer runs I take it down so I can maintain longer. I opted for going slower to get through it than pushing myself with speed when I first started.

I started running in January, I've seen a big difference in how my body feels from running. I've dropped 7.8 lbs since then. I do other cardio with Zumba twice a week, I also do Yoga once a week, and I just finished the 30 Day Shred DVD.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/175390-new-couch-to-5k-c25k-thread-anyone-out-there-in-week-1
  • patricac
    Options
    You could probably recycle the program but push yourself really hard, run faster, for the mins that you're supposed to run. It won't seem like much at first but the bursts of speed will help build your endurance. I don't know. it's an idea :)
    A lady that I work with finished C25K and is now restarting it from the begining and just has increased how fast she runs during those intervals and that seems to be increase her ability to run faster and get a better time....maybe try that

Thank you both for that suggestion! I'll look into that option. I was considering running 3x's a week: 1) Maintenance Run, 2) Speed Training, 3) Long Run. It sounds like repeating C25K for Day #2 would work with this idea. Thank you for the suggestion!!!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any ideas or proven plans to build speed/endurance? I work really well with "pre-planned" programs like C25K, which is why B210K is so tempting to start right now. Is there anything like that around to help increase endurance for 5K and get faster? I'm running pretty slow at 5.1-5.3 mph for my 30 minute runs. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

I restart and push harder as suggested. On the early days its going to feel really easy. Make sure when its time to run you push it hard. So that you NEED that recovery.

In just a short time I increased from 11 min/mile to 9 Interval sprints and hills work wonders too!
  • patricac
    Options
    I restart and push harder as suggested. On the early days its going to feel really easy. Make sure when its time to run you push it hard. So that you NEED that recovery.

In just a short time I increased from 11 min/mile to 9 Interval sprints and hills work wonders too!

Wow, that's great going from 11 to 9 minutes a mile! Congrats! After seeing the responses, I think repeating C25K is probably the way to go. I also like your suggestion on pushing to "recovery"! There's a big difference with just getting through it and really pushing it! Thank you :happy: