Not sure where to turn....

Options
Ok I need some real advice here. I am about to give up on this whole weight loss thing. I am not someone who likes to exercise, cannot seem to find time each day to even try to fit it in, and have been eating like a rabbit for over a year now and only lost 11lbs which comes and goes. It is sooooooo frustrating. I love love love sweets, and have had about all the salad I can stand for a while. :) I love baked chicken and veggies but even that gets old. I am not an adventerous person with food so trying new things is also hard since my family is not into it either. The cost of everything is going up so much as well that it is a hard time to diet. I am trying to go low carb right now to see how that works out for me. Any of you been in this boat? If so how did you move past it? Thanks for any advice you have. :)

Replies

• bayles1
    bayles1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I think that if you make your food diary open to everyone,then you will get plenty of help and guidance.Dont give up and any exercise is better than no exercise,so try and fit it in as and when you can.But the food is reckoned to be 80% of the battle.So get that diary opened up and you will soon have so much support.Good Luck to you.:smile:
  • kgillikin
    kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Girl get the 30 Day Shred. It is $10 at Wal-Mart. It is only about 25 minutes long. What I do is put it in my computer at work. I do 5 minutes here and there all day until it is done.
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Ok I need some real advice here. I am about to give up on this whole weight loss thing. I am not someone who likes to exercise, cannot seem to find time each day to even try to fit it in, and have been eating like a rabbit for over a year now and only lost 11lbs which comes and goes. It is sooooooo frustrating. I love love love sweets, and have had about all the salad I can stand for a while. :) I love baked chicken and veggies but even that gets old. I am not an adventerous person with food so trying new things is also hard since my family is not into it either. The cost of everything is going up so much as well that it is a hard time to diet. I am trying to go low carb right now to see how that works out for me. Any of you been in this boat? If so how did you move past it? Thanks for any advice you have. :)

First off, don't give up. The fact that you are asking for help tells me that you don't really want to give up. It WILL get better.

Secondly, if you don't enjoy exercise, you may not be doing the right things. Most people can find SOMETHING they enjoy. If you don't like the gym, try a video. If you don't like that, try a class. There is always another option.

Third, if you are having trouble fitting in your workouts, only YOU can fix that. You have to find a way to commit to yourself and your fitness/health. There is always time. It may be very early in the morning, it may be late at night but there is ALWAYS time. You just have to find it.

As for the eating, I agree with bayles1 about opening your food diary, at least to your friends. No one can help you there unless they know what you are doing.

What it boils down to though is trying different methods until you find what works for you. Support is SO important. If you have good support at home, great. But regardless if you do or not, embrace MFP and the community here. Make some friends. My MFP friends have made ALL the difference in helping me reach my goals.

Good luck and please let me know if I can do anything to help!! Have a great day!
  • urbanruralmomma
    Options
    I hate to be like this, but maybe you're just not ready.

Perhaps if you found an exercise that you ENJOY, you'd make it fit in. For me, that's been Yoga and Zumba. Started out with Yoga in October just for the pure self-nurturing aspect of it. It was something I decided to be selfish about - to make it MY TIME. Loosing weight was never a motivation. Later I realized that my Yoga practice can only get better, and more enjoyable, the stronger and less fatty i get.

At the same time, a local church started offering Zumba. It's a latin dance thing. I'm in the same room with 100 other women of all ages, races, abilities, etc. It's totally okay if I can't do all the moves - noone else can do all of them either. I've let go of my ego, and allowed myself to have fun - even if I do look a bit silly.

BUT all of this is different for me now than it has been for years. I spent about 3 years just not ready to make the commitment. It may not be the time for you - if you have too much going on in your life, to many people depending on you, etc. If it's not the right time, give yourself the gift of a break. Being over-weight isn't the worst thing you could do. Spend some time giving yourself little, precious gifts, finding the things that really nurture your spirit, your soul - and give yourself the permission to be selfish about them (We, as women, tend to spend so much time giving to others.)

Then, when the time is right, come back to weight loss.

Sent with hugs.
  • txchic_73
    txchic_73 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I think that if you make your food diary open to everyone,then you will get plenty of help and guidance.Dont give up and any exercise is better than no exercise,so try and fit it in as and when you can.But the food is reckoned to be 80% of the battle.So get that diary opened up and you will soon have so much support.Good Luck to you.:smile:
    My food diary is open to all my friends. I log most of what I eat but lately haven't been because I know I have been doing really bad at it. But I did log today. So check it out and see what you think, but you have to be a friend first. Thanks
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Just take it one day at a time. We all have these down spells. I'm kind of in one myself right now. Do you like shopping? Walking through the mall is fun and technically exercise. I could do it for hours and not even realize it.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I hear one excuse after another in your post,,,,,,, what you have to decide is if this is something you want or not. It can be done, there are hundreds of people on here alone that have done it, you do not have some special defect that will not allow you to lose weight.

One thing I might advise is to check out this website, http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ you might do well on a low carb diet, there could be an underlying problem with gluten.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Have you been pushing yourself too hard? What kind of calorie and food limits are you placing on yourself?

One thing that people rarely talk about when it comes to dieting is burn out, but burn out is the biggest reason people fail at this.

Life is about moderation, and dieting is about moderation, too. It's not about eating salads for every meal, hiding from friends and social activities (because they usually involve food), avoiding restaurants, and giving up on eating good food altogether.

As for the exercise, you can lose weight without it. I love to exercise. It keeps me sane. But other people don't like it, and that's okay.

Maybe you should reevaluate your calorie intake and weekly weight loss goal. Maybe aim for something less drastic, like half a pound a week, maybe even less. Try to find balance and happiness in your life and forget what the scales say for now. Personally, I think you look great the way you are and don't need to lose weight. Maybe if you take the focus off the weight loss, you won't feel so defeated.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

First off, don't give up. The fact that you are asking for help tells me that you don't really want to give up. It WILL get better.

Secondly, if you don't enjoy exercise, you may not be doing the right things. Most people can find SOMETHING they enjoy. If you don't like the gym, try a video. If you don't like that, try a class. There is always another option.

Third, if you are having trouble fitting in your workouts, only YOU can fix that. You have to find a way to commit to yourself and your fitness/health. There is always time. It may be very early in the morning, it may be late at night but there is ALWAYS time. You just have to find it.

As for the eating, I agree with bayles1 about opening your food diary, at least to your friends. No one can help you there unless they know what you are doing.

What it boils down to though is trying different methods until you find what works for you. Support is SO important. If you have good support at home, great. But regardless if you do or not, embrace MFP and the community here. Make some friends. My MFP friends have made ALL the difference in helping me reach my goals.

Good luck and please let me know if I can do anything to help!! Have a great day!

This is perfect advice. DO NOT GIVE UP. You are worth so much more than that. You can do this. Yes, it's hard. That just means you will ACCOMPLISH a difficult task. Think about how good that will feel. There are so many good food options out there, and you don't need to be adventurous, although it does help to keep from getting bored. Trying to foods and exposing your family to new things is gift you can give your family at the same time. (I've been doing this for over a year and I almost never eat salad.) Your health is also a gift that you can give your family. They depend on you to be healthy, you know this. The need you to be at your best and I know you want to set a good healthy example for them. So do it! I know you are strong enough.

I recently had a friend post 12 minute workouts from bodyrock.tv. TWELVE MINUTES! Surely you have 12 minutes??? Or 20 minute Shred?
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I myself , it has to be exercise I like.. or something that is already part of my day. For example, I am a PSW so I am on my feet all day long running around when I am at work. I put my activity level at sedetary and I don't log what I do at work so it sorta tricks me into creating a deficit without really worrying about it. I do log major workouts though like on the elliptical, running or whatever. I don't log things like going shopping or taking a walk to the grocery store. In the last while, I haven't done any major exercising cause work can tire me out but its been coming off. Even dancing out at the club or shovelling.. all those every day things are exercise. That being said though, if I feel hungry, I will go over my calories by 100-200 (currently set at 1200), so I don't deprive myself. Might that work for you?

I experiment with foods all the time,but if you aren't much for experimenting with foods... maybe you can just change what you are already making. For example, if you normally have chicken breast with mixed veggies on the side.. maybe you could mixed it all up and make it into a stir fry. That way its the same stuff, just made differently.. and taste differently.
  • txchic_73
    Options
    I hear one excuse after another in your post,,,,,,, what you have to decide is if this is something you want or not. It can be done, there are hundreds of people on here alone that have done it, you do not have some special defect that will not allow you to lose weight.

One thing I might advise is to check out this website, http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ you might do well on a low carb diet, there could be an underlying problem with gluten.

I put this post out there not to be criticized but to hopefully find some compassion and advice. I have 2 active children who are in sports and have a mixed up work schedule so I have a very busy life. I am working to try to add more activity to my daily schedule, it is hard though. I did not think I would have someone bashing me for letting my kids depend on me to get them to practice and games, which I love, and spending time with them and my husband for the small amt of time I have at night. I will check out the website you mentioned to see if there is anythign in there that might help. Thank you.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    There is a BIG difference between a reason and an excuse.

Anyway, its tough working around a busy schedule and adding more to it may not be the answer. Maybe keeping it simple would be the answer? Counting calories, parking further from the store? Small stuff can really add up. Eleven pounds in one year really isn't that bad.
  • txchic_73
    Options
    There is a BIG difference between a reason and an excuse.

Anyway, its tough working around a busy schedule and adding more to it may not be the answer. Maybe keeping it simple would be the answer? Counting calories, parking further from the store? Small stuff can really add up. Eleven pounds in one year really isn't that bad.
    Thank you! I hate counting calories to be honest, but it does let me know what I am really taking in.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Don't be offended. Just choose which advice to take and which not to take :smile: This is the risk we take when we put ourselves on this board. There has been lots of support here so, hopefully you will feel like we are all behind you. A lot of times people feel like someone may need a wake-up call and some folks like that. You just never know.

I was just looking at your goals and you don't have that far to go! About 19 pounds? Girl, you are too close to let it get away. I have one friend who runs while her daughter is at soccer, maybe you could walk while your kids are at practice? Two birds with one stone, right?

BTW- we have the same anniversary! March 21st!
  • txchic_73
    Options
    Girl get the 30 Day Shred. It is $10 at Wal-Mart. It is only about 25 minutes long. What I do is put it in my computer at work. I do 5 minutes here and there all day until it is done.
    I actually have the 30 day shred and for a while was doing it religiously. I even got to level 2 but now I seem to not have time. Maybe I can get back into it this coming weekend. I also bought Zumba for the Kinect and it is alot of fun, but again that is at least 20 mins when I am worn out. I sometimes can make myself get up in the morning and other times am just so tired I can't. Ever have those days.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

First you've set yourself up for failure already. Every sentence your wrote is a road block to your progress. When it comes to being healthy you also have to retrain the way you think. I would say 1/2 of us didn't like to exercise. If we did we wouldn't have been severly over weight right? What you have to do is start waking up in the morning saying I love to exercise and give yourself reasons why. The reasons are easy...for you...your health...set an example for your family, etc.

Find something that isn't considered the common exercise for example Zumba, Dancing with the Stars, etc. Look for quick 20 minute workouts. When you are sitting watching TV in the evenings you can be on the floor doing crunches, leg lifts, ab kicks....you could have some light weights working those muscles....all the while you are still able to see the tv. If not, do like me get up before work and exercise. If you get it done early the rest of the day is yours to do whatever. And I already no you don't want to get up early. Well to be healthy you have to make a sacrifice somewhere. You have to be flexible. The weight is going to work with you...you have to master it.

So on to food. How do you expect not to be bored with food if you aren't willing to try new things? You don't have to cook new things for your family. They can eat what they normally eat. You can try out 1 new dish a week for yourself and keep the portion small to save on money. Chose a dish that similar to something you eaten before or with ingredients that you are familiar with.

Someone posted this in another thread you might find it helpful http://www.brokeandhealthy.com/

I seriously suggest you conquer your own way of thinking about living healthy. You old way of thinking isn't going to work. Its places too many boundaries in your way.
  • kgillikin
    kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I actually have the 30 day shred and for a while was doing it religiously. I even got to level 2 but now I seem to not have time. Maybe I can get back into it this coming weekend. I also bought Zumba for the Kinect and it is alot of fun, but again that is at least 20 mins when I am worn out. I sometimes can make myself get up in the morning and other times am just so tired I can't. Ever have those days.

Yes I do have those days. That is why I do it 5 minutes at a times thoughout the day. So I can get it all in but 20minutes doesnt kill me if I break up the 20 minutes into 3-4 sections a day.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

Do you get enough rest? Have you had your blood work done to see if your iron or vitamin D is low? Just wondering why you are extremely tired that 20 minutes is too much for you. If you are resting and if your levels are ok then you have to build up you endurance. That can only be done by exercising.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

I put this post out there not to be criticized but to hopefully find some compassion and advice. I have 2 active children who are in sports and have a mixed up work schedule so I have a very busy life. I am working to try to add more activity to my daily schedule, it is hard though. I did not think I would have someone bashing me for letting my kids depend on me to get them to practice and games, which I love, and spending time with them and my husband for the small amt of time I have at night. I will check out the website you mentioned to see if there is anythign in there that might help. Thank you.

Sorry If I offended you, IMO some people need to have the truth pointed out to them, the truth is these below are all excuses standing in the way of a healthier, thinner, happier you. You are frustrated, I hear you, I would be too, 11 lbs in one year,,,,, that’s not good, and all these people stroking your ego and telling you it is are lying to you. Sometimes the cold hard truth is what a person needs, if this isn’t one of those times, well sorry for dropping in, and hope everything works out for you.

I am not someone who likes to exercise; Excuse

I love love love sweets; Excuse

have had about all the salad I can stand for a while; Excuse

but even that gets old; Excuse

am not an adventerous person with food so trying new things is also; Excuse

cost of everything is going up so much as well that it is a hard time to diet; Excuse

Now you can get mad at me again, or you can consider what I wrote and stop making excuses, and move forward. You have to take kids to sports,,,,,,, what do you do while they are playing their sports? Spend time with your kids and husband exercising, go for long hikes on the weekends with them. Bottom line is you can find the time, or not, it’s up to you.
  • txchic_73
    Options

Do you get enough rest? Have you had your blood work done to see if your iron or vitamin D is low? Just wondering why you are extremely tired that 20 minutes is too much for you. If you are resting and if your levels are ok then you have to build up you endurance. That can only be done by exercising.
    Actually I do not sleep that well at night. I toss and turn alot. That might be part of my problem. The little bit of time I spend at home, I find myself cleaning house, laundry, helping with home work or just wanting to sit down! Maybe I need a check up with the dr. I hadn't thought about that. Thanks for the suggestion!