Basal Metabolic Rate(BMR)

Options
My BMR is 1498. I am 5'7 and now weigh 142.

Should I eat 1000 calories a day I know I should eat more on the days I exercise. I also I know everyone is saying 1200 is the starvation mode. Since I am eationg around 1200 calories a day should I cut it down to 1000? Could this be the reason its so so so hard for me to lose weight?

Replies

• borjanap
    borjanap Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1498. I am 5'7 and now weigh 142.

Should I eat 1000 calories a day I know I should eat more on the days I exercise. I also I know everyone is saying 1200 is the starvation mode. Since I am eationg around 1200 calories a day should I cut it down to 1000? Could this be the reason its so so so hard for me to lose weight?
  • brunion
    brunion Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    YES IT IS this sounds funny but you need to eat to lose small meals 4 times a day not 1000 calorie meals 4 times a day. good luck
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Did you calculate for your current weight or the weight you want to be???

If I do my current weight my BMR is 360 calories higher than it would be at my goal weight. If you do it for your goal weight your calories are what you should eat without exercise and exercise would allow you more.

If you did your current weight then you need to get rid of some calories by exercising or not eatting as much.

example is I am currently 5'9" and 221 lbs, my calculated bmr is 1780.5 cals a day. This would help me maintain my current weight without exercising. My goal weight is 140 and the bmr to maintain that weight is 1423.8 cals a day. bmr is to calculate what you would need to consume if you were not to do anything but eat and live and maintain your weight.