Tooth extraction - what to eat afterwards - any suggestions

Options
On Saturday I am having to have one of my wisdom teeth taken out and I won't be able to eat anything too hot for a couple of days (so soup is out) and obviously nothing that needs much chewing! Apparantly cold foods are quite good but all the suggestions I can find online are ice-cream! That and scrambled egg!

Does anyone have any suggestions for low-cal soft foods that I might be able to eat?!

Thank in advance!

Replies

• julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Homemade mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower. Also, applesauce and yogurt are low-cal and soft!

and make sure you don't eat/drink anything with a straw! I've seen people tell others to buy straws but that's the best way to get a dry socket and you definitley don't want one of those!!!
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    When I got all 4 of mine out, my favorite thing to eat was 1/2 cup oatmeal prepared with 1/2 cup water and 1 cup of pumpkin puree with 2 tsp of cinnamon, cloves, and splenda. Let it cool for a few minutes-- it's filling, easy to eat, and gets a serving of vegetables in.
  • dalscruf
    dalscruf Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in 2008 and lost 10 lbs. in 2 weeks (because of anxiety I was afraid to eat even after it healed lol). So i'm probably not much help but I remember I mostly ate yogurt, pudding, and mashed potatoes. I was just so afraid of something going wrong because I found lots of horror stories on the internet and from friends about "dry sockets" and whatnot. The biggest thing is to NOT suck on anything.. don't use straws. Good luck!
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    smoothies

if you can have pasta...after a day or two...pasta is easy to slurp if you want less liquid stuff. I would recommend soup but make sure its cool down a lot.

Fluids! Water!
  • Septembergirl23
    Septembergirl23 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Mashed potatoes were my best friends when I had my wisdom teeth taken out.
  • s_waser
    s_waser Posts: 92
    Options
    Also you can try freezing Yoplait yogurt the fluffy kind and it should taste like ice cream or just go to a place that has frozen yogurt but of course ask for nutrition facts. We have a local Frozen yougurt shop called Josie's Frozen yogurt and they only use natural ingredients and is low in calories...90 calories for 4 oz.
  • lyndisue15
    lyndisue15 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    sugar-free applesauce & smoothies!! Just make sure you don't use a straw, no smoking, and avoid doing any exercises where you may dislodge the clot for a few days! They doctors will of course go over what you can and cannot do/eat. When I had mine out (had all 4 surg. extracted) I was back to normal after a day, eating solids. Good luck--everyone has very different experiences w/ extractions!
  • amhayes28
    Options
    I am a dental assistant and you definitely dont want to drink from a straw for the first 48 hours. You can eat soft, cool foods as suggested here in others posts. You can also have pasta. Anything that doesn't require a lot of chewing. Smoothies are good as well. Its really only for the first couple of days then you can go back to eating your regular healthy foods! If you have any questions feel free to ask me! If not, your dental office staff is always willing to answer any questions or concerns. If you do develop a dry socket, it will probably be on the lower and symptoms usually show about 3-4 days after the extractions. Its very, very distinct pain. Call your office and they can put a paste that soothes it right away. Good luck! :)
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    HI there! :flowerforyou:

I remember when I had wisdom teeth extracted.....

I like to make smoothies at home so I can NOT used a whole bunch of artificial sugars and such. I don't like the ones you can get in restaurants....too much sugar.

So my favorite -

Blend up in blender:
    1 cup PLAIN soy milk (unsweetened and check label to make sure protein and fiber levels are decent - I like Westsoy brand, its not diluted)
    3/4 cup frozen blueberries (or any other frozen fruit like mango, strawberry, peach, raspberry, etc.)
    1/2 or a normal sized banana

makes about 2 cups smoothie less than 250 cals depending on brand of soy milk, etc.

I like the blueberries because of all the antioxidants.....

It was on Alton Browns show during his weight loss episodes.

Best of Luck!
    julia
  • mayana2002
    mayana2002 Posts: 192
    Options
    The first and second day avoid warm food. Have everything cold. Sorbet is a good one. It helps the healing if it is cold and will not let you have the blood taste in your mouth all the time. ON the third day you can eat warm food because it will help in the healing process. I did remove all my 4 thooth and my dentist told me to do the cold on the first days and warm after. Use outh wash to clean back there (not Listerine or strong ones).
    It also helps on the day u remove it to put ice on your cheeks.
    The lower ones are harder to recover and my surgeon told me to not open my mouth all the way. THe upper ones are easier, I reoved 2 at the same time.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above answers. Also, try baby food. Those have nutrients needed and quite a variety. They're made for not being able to chew.

Good luck and hope all goes well for you!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    yogurt. pudding. pinto's n' cheese from Taco Bell sustained me when my braces were freshly tightened but they're not too calorie-friendly LOL
  • tamiller93
    tamiller93 Posts: 195
    Options
    I had 4 wisdom teeth extracted this past Sept. I ate oatmeal, soup, pudding, yogurt, smoothies (between pain pills) LOL
  • emilybrittain
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I'm a bit nervous about it and want to look after myself but don't want to ruin my diet by not being able to exercise for a few days!

Thanks everyone!
  • Lushcious
    Lushcious Posts: 20
    Options
    My son was assaulted in Jan.and had 3 teeth knocked out and placed back in.He couldnt eat solid food for almost 2 weeks.So i made him shakes,smoothies,mashed potatoes,yogurt,pudding,jello.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    Yeah, as someone who did it, again I'll reiterate, don't drink from a straw!
  • Leamac83
    Leamac83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I had a wisdom tooth out last wednesday and im still on liquids!!

All i have been eating is warm soup, smoothies, yoghurt, applesauce and protien shakes. I think i have developed a dry socket as i have been in horrific pain for the past 4 or 5 days (i actually could have cut my own head off last night) ive woken up this morning to more horror movie style bleeding and now just dont want to eat or drink anything for fear of the clot being dislodged!

I wouldnt reccomend anything with 'bits'...although oatmeal is soft if any of the bits get stuck in the extraction site it can be really frustrating. So yoghurt with bits of fruit would also be a no no!

No excercise is also really annoying!!

Good luck for your extraction!! Hope all goes well, just be carefull for first 48 hours and im sure you will be fine!
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    I had mine out last summer--but I only had 2. I started getting inventive after 2-3 days-- pureeing beans and broth with spices for some extra protein/fiber, peanut butter in oatmeal, scrambled eggs with cheese, and tons of liquids. Oh and it's a great excuse to eat as much soft serve as you want :) I definitely lost weight without trying...sooooo in total, this will be a great boost for your weight loss! JUST kidding! Make sure you're still getting what you need so that your body can heal quickly. I didn't think it was as bad as people said it would be, and only took the pain pills for a day or two before I switched to tylenol every 4 hours. Don't fret!
  • Contrary03
    Contrary03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I had to have one of my wisdom teeth extracted on the day before thanksgiving last year! I was so upset at the thought of cooking a delicious meal for my family and not being able to join them. I worried for nothing, because i had little to no pain afterwards and was able to eat everything but the turkey. Don't worry~ you'll be fine. I won't lie, it did hurt DURING the extraction, but that was it. I wasn't able to take anything for pain afterwards, so you know it couldn't have been that bad! Remember~ no straw!
  • bubblybabeuk
    bubblybabeuk Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    When I had mine out (too many years ago to mention!) I was living with my MIL and she liquidised everything they had for me! Have to say liquidised roast dinner did not quite taste the same!!!

Good luck and hope all goes well.