"Healthy" take-out options

Options
I am trying to avoid having "Cheat DAYS" every week because I don't want to blow an entire week's work in one day and I think in last few weeks I've been pretty successful, but once a week my boyfriend and I like to go out for dinner - I usually limit it to Friday nights after work. I know Subway for the most part is okay and I really don't want to just eat a salad while we're out, so what are some good, healthy options when going out to a restaurant or ordering take-out?

Replies

• alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    At a restaurant try to order something that you would make for yourself at home.

Grilled chicken and veggies is always good
    If you order salad, don't get cesear salad, the dressing has so much fat and calories you might as well be eating fried chicken, lol

Pasta in tomato sauce is another good alternative

Avoid cream sauces and fried stuff

Olive garden has all the calorie content of all their menu items right there on the menu, so its super easy to plan out your meal right on the spot.

I think the most important thing about eating healthy at restaurants is portion control, they usually serve 2-3 times the actual recommended serving, so try not to eat more than half of whats on your plate.

Mexican food is generally bad, they fry their rice and put extra fat into their beans. But if you want mexican, get a fajita platter, and don't eat any of the tortillas, beans, or rice. Just the meat and veggies

I could go on and on... but I think this should be helpful =]

Feel free to message me if you want more info =D
  • bhonniered
    bhonniered Posts: 228
    Options
    One thing I do and I know a lot of others do is research potential places to eat - many have the nutritional values online. If I know what I am going to order I can take that into account during the day - for instance if we are going to a place with high sodium I make sure to drink lots of water during the day - after the meal and the next day to help with it. Good luck and have fun!
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    If I know where I"m going to be dining, I will check out the website for an online menu/nutrition guide and plan my meal accordingly.
  • bowsandpearls11
    Options
    Applebees, Famous Daves, Wendy's, & Chilis have great low calorie yummy menus.
  • InternSherry
    Options
    I love Fish and veggies, There are so many wonder ways to eat fish! I love tilipia, you will feel spoiled!

Also from McAlister's Deli, if you have one, a Manager's Special is half of 2 entrees. I get half a turkey club and cup of Fire-Roasted veggie soup. YMM! Under 400 calories. They have a under 500 calorie menu. I am sure more deli places have this same type of things.

My biggest help when going out to eat is watch out for the sauces, fries, and dressings. These are usually bigger problems then the meal itself.

Hope it was helpful!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    If you know where you are going in advance, look up their website (or check here) to see what options are available and plan ahead. Otherwise, stick to things labeled grilled or steamed and always ask for any sauce on the side or to be omitted completely. You can usually ask them to customize any meal (leave out butter, oil, etc) and they can do it.

Beware the bread basket! This is always my downfall so if you have to ask them not to bring it...do it! :laugh:

Also, many chain restaurants now have lower calorie option sections on their menus. If you don't see it, just ask if they have any suggestions. They may use a sort of coding system on the menu to identify lower calorie options!

Good luck!

Katy
  • chris1132
    chris1132 Posts: 58
    Options
    One of my favorite "splurges" is Pei Wei. They have their nutrition information online, and some of their meals are actually pretty moderate as far as calories and fat. The sweet and sour chicken, crispy honey chicken, and the dan dan noodles are all under 12 grams of fat and under 450 calories. Of course, that is for half of the plate and doesn't include rice - but when I want takeout Chinese food, it is worth it!
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I mystery shop, which means I have to order certain menu items. What I do is arrange these shops for the same days as I do two krav maga classes. Maybe you could do something similar - organise your evenings out for days when you've got a lot of physical activity on?