Is 1.5lbs/week too much?

Options
Okay, so I posted a little earlier with a different question and got some people messaging me/replying that losing 1.5lbs/week was too much for me to be losing. The weight has been coming off in little bursts (3-4 pounds one week, none or a small gain the next, rinse, repeat). Do you agree? Here's my stats: I'm 22, female, 5'7 and currently weigh just under 170. My goal is 135, or a size 4 or 6. I'm currently a dress size 8 and a pant size 10 (don't ask me how that works). Should I be aiming for 1lb/week or is 1.5lbs okay? I feel like the 1,600 cals MFP gives me is so much!

More details that might help:
I'm currently training for a half marathon
I have a decent amount of muscle, apparently more than I thought, because I guess being my height and 170 and a size 8/10 isn't normal?? Who knows... I've been told that a few times
I ALWAYS eat back my exercise calories... love me some food!
I allow myself higher calories on the weekends. My maintenance (according to MFP) is 2,150, I usually allow myself 2,000 on the weekends (I found I lose my mind and binge a lot if I dont)

Please help? I'm getting more and more confused the more I read lol

Replies

• Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    No it's not too much at all.
    In a week I believe safely:
    2-3 pounds lost can be fat
    3-5lbs probably extra water weight
    5+ you are losing lean body mass

Nothing wrong with what you are doing, when you lose in bursts and then don't lose, it's probably water weight messing with the scale each week, while you are losing equal amounts of fat both weeks.
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    well I just lost 2.2lbs since Sunday. So, maybe not the best person to be answering this. However, I think 1.5-2lbs a week is perfectly fine and healthy to loose. I was freaking out about mine because my official weigh in on Friday. Just like you said. Some weeks you'll loose and you may loose more and then some weeks nothing! So I think you're doing fine. Everybody is different in how they loose weight. As long as you're eating healthy and not running low on energy then you shouldn't probably be worried. I think your cals are just fine you're eating enough. Oh and congrats on runnign your half. I just ran mine last Sunday. Keep going! you're doing awesome!
  • rherrin5
    rherrin5 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Ditto here. One week its really high and next its low and then none ect ect you get the idea. But I think your ok. Iv been walking alot! Some days 5 miles others at least 3. I eat all my cals back so id say your doing great! Eating healthy and under cals will help you lose and I did to but just about a pound a week but with all this walking its really bumped up my loss. Exercise helps you loose so much faster iv noticed. Still healthy and good I think considering the amount of walking im doing and jogging. I say keep up your good work and continue with what your doing. Good luck!!!!
  • dthompson17
    Options
    I would be totally happy with 1.5 a week. I keep getting stuck on like .6 and .8 and that is really frustrating for me......We are the same height, but I am about 5 pounds heavier that you........I'm working for 150. Goodluck and keep working hard!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    It's certainly possible to lose 1.5 lbs a week but based on what you say you have been losing, it might not happen for you since you have less to lose. Every body loses differently so you may need to make your goal 1 lb per week and then see if that makes a difference. It might not but it doesn't hurt to switch things up a bit to see what happens. Good luck!
  • paigebeverly
    paigebeverly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I have lost 7 pounds in 9 days...but I am doing everything right...eating right and exercising.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Not at all I've lost 3lbs in one week before, as long as your eating healthy and not starving yourself your doing fine!!
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    With how much you want to lose yet, that is just right. When you get within 15 or 20 cut it down to 1 pound a week and ease into going close to the maint cals. Once you reach the goal weight you will need to be eating the maint cals and doing a little exercise to make maintaining a little easier. That is also when you will want to be more exact with your food measuring and cals burned numbers to be better able to "tweak" what you need to.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Have you read this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/181080-mfp-s-most-common-user-pitfall-to-avoid ? It might help you wrap your head around this question and why you are receiving the advice you are receiving. 1.5 pounds per week seems more reasonable, to me, for a person with a higher body fat ration than you might have, given your height and clothing size. In the end, you have to try things, see what is working for you and make adjustments when you are not getting the results you want.
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I would be totally happy with 1.5 a week. I keep getting stuck on like .6 and .8 and that is really frustrating for me......We are the same height, but I am about 5 pounds heavier that you........I'm working for 150. Goodluck and keep working hard!

Even .6 and .8 is great work! It all adds up to POUNDS! Keep it up. I have taught myself that as long as the scale goes down (even .1) to be happy with it. A loss is a loss! Don't be frustrated...be proud of yourself!