hibachi or sushi?

Options
So tonight is my bestfriends birthday and we are heading out to a Japeense restaurant for hibachi. Normally when I use to get hibachi I would do rice & chicken ( and it comes with veggies). I would really like to stay within my calorie goal but I decided today will be my rest day so I know I maybe a little over… So my question is … health and calorie wise… should I stick with the hibachi or get a couple sushi rolls.

Replies

• rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    be careful, sometimes sushi can be very very high in calories. Some is healthier depending on which kind of sushi. Stay away from anything cream cheese, although it is soooo delicious. Have fun!!
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    My vote is hibachi with no rice (or very little).

Have fun!
  • michbiase
    michbiase Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure what hibachi is, but I'm assuming it's a BBQ. If the meat is grilled and there is no sauces added, it should be fine. skip the rice and ask for extra veggies. Can you handle sashimi? That's likely the best way to go for calories and low fat. The rice in the sushi adds up quick and be careful of the sauces and fired stuff they put in some rolls (spicy tuna, tempura roll). If you really want hibachi, ask them not to put any sauce on it (tell them you have allergies) and just to grill it plain. Or........you can do some exercise today (a brisk walk for 1hr gets you an extra 350 calories (aprox)) and then go and enjoy!!

have fun!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Hibachi Chicken with veggies is decent in calories. Our Hibachi place also lets you get brown rice as an option? WAY better than white....
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    (a brisk walk for 1hr gets you an extra 350 calories (aprox))

this is a very broad blanket statement that is NOT true for everybody.

In an hour of walking, I only burn MAYBE 200. If I'm lucky. And I'm breaking a sweat, going fast, high effort.
  • brittfam
    brittfam Posts: 34
    Options
    I couldn’t believe sushi was that high in calories! I had two rolls on Monday and everyone is right, the calories do add up quick. So I m thinking about asking for brown rice ( if they have it)—hardly eating any of the rice ( they give you way way way to much) – doing chicken and extra veggies ( and see if they can skip the sauce). I hate to be the picky person at the table but I guess you gotta do what yah gotta do!
    Thank you for the input everyone !

Also I have zero time for the gym today between work and getting ready. That’s what is killing me normally I have at least 600+ calories back.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I vote for sushi... mmmmmm. I'm jealous!
  • marnieinMB
    marnieinMB Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    how about just sushimi ( fish no rice) or rolls done in cucumber instead of rice?
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I recently went to Benihana for dinner...I stuck to the hibachi

Here is what I did:
    asked for my salad dressing on the side (cuts calories significantly when only dipping fork before each bite)
    mushroom soup (low calorie - high sodium)
    shrimp (low calorie)
    asked for BROWN RICE ($2 upcharge, but I am worth it - only ate half)
    veggies (only ate half)
    fillet (asked the chef not to add butter to my steak - looked up the calories before going and only eat half)
    VERY MINIMAL SAUCE (dipped the edge of my steak instead of pouring 2 bowls on meal)
    no alcohol (my choice)

brought my leftovers home for the next morning!

check out my food journal for calories - February 18th - 9-10 PM meal
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    get a sashimi salad: a bunch of different slices of fish.

Then follow up with a few rolls.

moderation is key.
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I prefer sushi to hibachi, but I tend to order nagiri instead of the rolls, as at most restaurants the nagiri will have a much higher protein to carb ratio.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    How about a nice sashimi platter? And if you're lucky they may even have brown rice.

Yum, I want to go to a sushi restaurant now!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure what hibachi is, but I'm assuming it's a BBQ. If the meat is grilled and there is no sauces added, it should be fine. skip the rice and ask for extra veggies. Can you handle sashimi? That's likely the best way to go for calories and low fat. The rice in the sushi adds up quick and be careful of the sauces and fired stuff they put in some rolls (spicy tuna, tempura roll). If you really want hibachi, ask them not to put any sauce on it (tell them you have allergies) and just to grill it plain. Or........you can do some exercise today (a brisk walk for 1hr gets you an extra 350 calories (aprox)) and then go and enjoy!!

have fun!

What fried stuff is in a spicy tuna roll? I'm eliminating gluten and was thinking that was still a good option :(
  • pyroxian
    pyroxian Posts: 99
    Options

have fun!

What fried stuff is in a spicy tuna roll? I'm eliminating gluten and was thinking that was still a good option :(
    Pretty sure the problem w/ spicy tuna is not "fried" but rather "sauce" - the spicy sauce is usually mayonnaise based.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options

have fun!

Pretty sure the problem w/ spicy tuna is not "fried" but rather "sauce" - the spicy sauce is usually mayonnaise based.

Oh thank you, I was getting sad lol!