Losing 10 lbs in one month – Am I being realistic?

Options
I have to put on a bikini in one month. It’s a really beautiful bathing suit that I bought from Victoria Secrets. (my delusional mind believed it would actually fit)…My husband and I are leaving on a beach vacation to celebrate our 9 year wedding anniversary. This is a really big deal for us and we’ve been planning and saving up for this trip for over a year.

I don’t expect to look like a supermodel on the beach after losing 10 lbs, I will still have ways to go but it will be the first step towards feeling comfortable in my skin and being healthy again. On this special anniversary I want to look more like the girl he married 9 years ago.

I signed up to MFP one week ago, and since then I’ve lost 2 lbs. It’s exciting & motivating to see the numbers drop on my scale but I’m beginning to wonder if my weight loss goal is unrealistic. Am I setting myself up for disappointment?

Has anyone lost 10 lbs or more in one month? If so, could you share your experience of achieving this and offer any tips/advice?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Not safely or in a healthy manner with the amount you have to lose. Actually even 1lb/week is quite aggressive at your weight vs your goal. I would suggest 0.5lbs/week, but you may be able to do 1lb/week so 3-4 pounds a month would be realistic.

You may be able to, but much of it will be muscle mass as you don't have much to lose.
  • cheangela
    cheangela Posts: 173
    Options
    I lost 12 pounds January 1 - February 4th doing the "eat to live" plan by Dr Fuhrman. You have to love fruit and veg though! But yes, I felt great the entire time and didn't feel hungry at all. I need to start doing that again :-D
  • hippo_hips
    hippo_hips Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I lost 17 in one month, so yes.
  • christineschutte
    christineschutte Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    you can definently loose about 10 pounds in a month, check out the last 10 pounds bootcamp online, it is a canadian show on slice channel, and all the participants have a goal of losing 10 pounds in a month, some lose even more!! Good Luck! :)
  • lose40by40
    Options
    @ Hippo hip,
    Please tell us how? :laugh:
  • dietcoke281
    dietcoke281 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am not *very* heavy, and this is my first week here. I've lost 5 pounds so far.
    But it all depends on how heavy you are to start with and you lose more weight at the start of your diet.
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Considering your over all goal is to lose 20 lbs. you don't have much to lose to begin with. Losing more than 2 lbs. a week is not considered healthy for someone with such little extra weight. It would be more realistic to think you could lose 5 to 8 lbs. eating right and exercising more days than not.

I started out needing to lose 20 lbs. (I've lost about 7 so far). I gained weight the first few days then lost nothing for 2 weeks. Then slowly it started coming off. I started in the end of January. !

Good luck to you and I hope you have a wonderful trip
  • pmarti5
    pmarti5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just signed up recently too, i have a lot of weight to lose tho, but i have lost almost 5 pds in one week. so it is possible if u keep ur food diary and stay at or below 1,200 cal a day. make sure u get plenty of protein each day, like 50 or above. shoppin at VS tells me u probably do not have a lot of weight to lose so it might b harder/slower for you. my lap band doc suggested i stay at 1,000 cal a day for 5 days a week, and for 2 days a week i can go over a little. many doctors might disagree w 1,000/day but i don't care, i need a jump start and so far it's working for me. i suggest lots of liquids and soups, jello, pudding cup for snack, water, apple sauce, eggs w cheese, skinless chicken breasts, fish, and veggies.
  • autumn13
    autumn13 Posts: 295
    Options
    i want to know how to!
  • rizorw
    rizorw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If this is your first month trying to loose weight, it may come off pretty easily. The first 10 (or so) pounds is water weight and you will start to feel better. I have a personal goal of 10lbs per month and it becomes more challenging as each month goes by.
    Good Luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I just signed up recently too, i have a lot of weight to lose tho, but i have lost almost 5 pds in one week. so it is possible if u keep ur food diary and stay at or below 1,200 cal a day. make sure u get plenty of protein each day, like 50 or above. shoppin at VS tells me u probably do not have a lot of weight to lose so it might b harder/slower for you. my lap band doc suggested i stay at 1,000 cal a day for 5 days a week, and for 2 days a week i can go over a little. many doctors might disagree w 1,000/day but i don't care, i need a jump start and so far it's working for me. i suggest lots of liquids and soups, jello, pudding cup for snack, water, apple sauce, eggs w cheese, skinless chicken breasts, fish, and veggies.

I would advise against going below 1200 cals, slightly below or above maybe.
  • havi7
    havi7 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've lost 17 pounds in the past 6-7 weeks. I've done so by eating a healthy diet of about 5 meals of 3-500 calories a day and working out to Insanity. It really depends on what your current weight is though and Eric is probably right in what he said.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I went from 280 - 210 in 7 months only doing 2 spin classes a week and cutting out pop (and not eating healthy). I was 21 at the time, if that matters. It depends on the person and how motivated you are. I would say definitely incorporate some weight training in with the cardio I know you're going to do. You may not lose 10 lbs doing this, but I think you'll lose more inches, which is your true end goal.
  • ckkh
    ckkh Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have lost 18lb since Jan 2. 9 of those pounds came off in the first month.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    What a lot of you guys aren't taking into consideration is the fact that she only has 20 pounds to lose overall. If you have a lot of weight to lose, yes, you'll lose quickly in the beginning, so 10 lbs or more in a month is feasible. But when you don't have much to lose, it's not realistic or safe to attempt that kind of rapid loss.

So to the OP: No, it's not safe to expect that kind of loss. What you can do is diet and do some good strength-building exercises, especially around your core. It will help tighten you up so that you look better, even if you aren't able to shed all the pounds as fast as you want to.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Not safely or in a healthy manner with the amount you have to lose. Actually even 1lb/week is quite aggressive at your weight vs your goal. I would suggest 0.5lbs/week, but you may be able to do 1lb/week so 3-4 pounds a month would be realistic.

You may be able to, but much of it will be muscle mass as you don't have much to lose.

This. People with a LOT to lose can lose that much that quickly. You almost certainly will not. You have very little fat to begin with, and the body simply won't burn it that quickly in a healthy manner.
  • amg_89
    amg_89 Posts: 184
    Options
    I lost 12 pounds January 1 - February 4th doing the "eat to live" plan by Dr Fuhrman. You have to love fruit and veg though! But yes, I felt great the entire time and didn't feel hungry at all. I need to start doing that again :-D

oooh whats the eat to live plan?
  • debbiemacfarlane
    debbiemacfarlane Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have been working hard and I have lost almost 20lbs in two months. I have a lot of weight to lose though. I had to change my eating habits completely. I love MFP for having a simple system available to log food daily. It keeps me on track. I'll be honest... I hate working out. The support system here makes me want to push my inner self to get myself moving.

if you really want to work and lose ten pounds then you will be able to.

I hope your vacation is everything you want it to be.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Every BODY is different. I think a great deal of it depends on how much excess weight you have to lose to begin with. When I first started my weight loss journey when I was 16, I lost 7 lbs the first WEEK and 10 lbs the next WEEK. And all I did was start exercising, I hadn't changed my diet at all. But I was VERY overweight and have not seen such dramatic numbers since. But, I did lose 10 lbs in a month when I started things up again several months ago. It really depends on your diet, work out regime, and excess weight. Don't strain your body trying to lose too much too fast. It will happen naturally if you do things right. :)
  • indigo_sue
    indigo_sue Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you want to LOOK good in a bathing suit, I'd suggest focusing more on measurements rather than weight. Since muscle weighs more than fat, you can actually transform 5 lbs of fat into 5 lbs of muscle and look stunningly different. Also, muscle increases your metabolic rate so if you focus on exercise to build muscle and tone your body, then you will set yourself up for better weight loss (and weight control) in the long term. And you'll look and feel a lot better on the beach!

I'd go with lots of weight-bearing exercises and cardio in the fat-burning heart-rate band. Don't overdo it at first because you'll just get sore muscles and quit. Try things like the nordic-trainer or rowing machine - get taught how to do it PROPERLY to avoid injury.