Diet soda cake?

Options
I knwo I've seen posts on here about making cake with diet soda, but how exactly do you do it? I want to make cupcakes and I see that you can save about 100 cals per slice of cake!

Replies

• raerae2011
    Options
    Cake mix & diet coke/sprite. Dark mixes use dark diet sodas & light mixes use clear diet sodas...that seems to work best.
  • Juicyyy
    Juicyyy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    All you do is mix the cake batter with a can of diet soda. Nothing else required. Its pretty good, more like a sponge cake. If I am making a dark cake, chocolate etc...I use diet coke or diet cherry coke, if I am making a yellow cake or sponge cake use diet ginger ale or diet 7up something light. Let me know what you think. I think you will be surprised. I always add a spoonful of fat free whip cream and some strawberries to mine to complete the taste. Good Luck!!
  • Juicyyy
    Juicyyy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    All you do is mix the cake batter with a can of diet soda. Nothing else required. Its pretty good, more like a sponge cake. If I am making a dark cake, chocolate etc...I use diet coke or diet cherry coke, if I am making a yellow cake or sponge cake use diet ginger ale or diet 7up something light. Let me know what you think. I think you will be surprised. I always add a spoonful of fat free whip cream and some strawberries to mine to complete the taste. Good Luck!!
  • lhuber1105
    lhuber1105 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    devils food cake with diet dr pepper is really good---also yellow cake with diet orange is good too. just mix the cake mix with a can of diet and bake---really good and alot less calories!! enjoy!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    As a baker, I have to say this idea sounds horrendous for so many reasons.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I've done it with diet Pepsi, you could taste it so it wasn’t the best. I hear vanilla and diet cream soda are a good combo. The cake mix itself is still very high in calories so I don’t really see the need to reduce the calories in something already very high but a reduction is better than full fat for sure. No cake is even better though ;)
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I use diet 7up or diet sprite if I don't want the pop flavour to come through.. but I have mixed chocolate with diet dr pepper.... or vanilla with diet orange crush.

Just one can for the whole box.

There is also a recipe for cake mix cookies. I made it a few times but can't remember what goes in it. Google it if you are interested.
  • chicabean420
    chicabean420 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I used Devil's Food Chocolate and Diet Rootbeer. I recommend using an egg white or two to help keep it together. I would store in an airtight container to keep moist, as they dry out easily if you don't.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    It's SO good.

10oz diet soda
    1 Box cake mix

Bake like the box says. It's yum-O. Here's my fav's....

White cake/diet sunkist
    Lemon cake/diet sundrop (or mellow yellow if you're not in the south)
    Strawberry cake/ diet cherry 7-up
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I mixed 1/2 can of diet coke with sugar free brownies yesterday. Very good!
  • alysen2012
    Options
    Here is a recipe:

Ingredients:

Cake mix (dark cakes taste best with darker soda, lighter cakes with lighter soda

12 oz soda (Cola, Orange soda, Sprite, Ginger Ale, etc)

2 egg whites

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    2. Spray only bottom of cake pan with cooking spray.
    3. In a mixing bowl combine cake mix, soda, and egg whites.
    4. Pour into 9x13 cake pan.
    5. Bake for recomended time on the cake box (different cake flavors vary). Set timer for the lowest recommended time, check with toothpick. If not done cook for the full time.
    6. Cool completely.
    7. Top with whipped topping and enjoy!
  • Tammysboys
    Options
    Strawberry cake mix with diet 7up and fat free cool whip:flowerforyou: awesome!
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    Final verdict? Amazing! The only difference was that they were kind of sticky.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    What do u use for "icing?"
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    I used a 'whipped' icing by duncan hinze (sp?) I think. it was 100 cals for 2 tablespoons.
  • chicalatte
    chicalatte Posts: 174
    Options
    BUMP
  • smareeh
    smareeh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Just made yellow cake with diet cream soda.....yummmmo!!!
  • connielicious
    connielicious Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've done it with diet Pepsi, you could taste it so it wasn’t the best. I hear vanilla and diet cream soda are a good combo. The cake mix itself is still very high in calories so I don’t really see the need to reduce the calories in something already very high but a reduction is better than full fat for sure. No cake is even better though ;)

WE like cake and if we can have it w lower cals and fat then YAY US!!!!
  • Lori07
    Lori07 Posts: 136
    Options
    So a cake mix usually says to use two or three eggs. When you make it with diet pop you don't put the eggs?
  • smareeh
    smareeh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    No I did not use any eggs. I believe there is a recipe that calls for a couple egg whites but I just did dry mix and one can. Came out very moist.