Thai restaurant help

Options
melsinct
melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
I am looking for healthier options at a Thai restaurant I will be going to for lunch. I tend to like noodle dishes but after being on MFP I am now well aware of the calorie bombs that are rice noodles (and pasta). Salads are always an option but I eat so many salads I'd like some variety.

I know well enough to stay away from the coconut based dishes and anything fried. Right now I am thinking a fresh spring roll with a cup of Tom Yum soup. I am assuming chicken satay wouldn't be a bad choice but to be honest, I don't know if I trust myself around the peanut dipping sauce. :laugh:

So what do you order when you go out for Thai?

Replies

• SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I love me some Chicken Pad Thai. Calorie-wise it is actually pretty good (~400-800 depending on restaurant). It's secret-killer is sodium though! I typically have little-to-no sodium in my other meals for the day to avoid going way over
  • angelarozmyn
    Options
    pad see ew -- WAY lower than other options and still delicious. wide noodles, chicken, broccoli in a black bean sauce (Pad kee mao is close to the same, just with more ingredients)
  • nikkinikki113
    nikkinikki113 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have been going to a new Thai place here in town - and the noodles they use aren't really that bad. We actually had the guy bring us the package. For the ones they used - for the WHOLE bag which is 6 servings of noodles, it was 290 calories. I had the pepper steak today, had it spicy, and let me say...YUMMO!! It wasn't that bad. Just keep your portion size down. Also, I use the chop sticks, so it takes me longer to eat, so I'm full Wayyyyyyy faster. : )
  • breckmc
    breckmc Posts: 30
    Options
    laab. Spicy boiled chicken, beef or pork salad with mint leaves, cliantro, onions and traditionally served with lettuce leaves (I wrap the meat in them) and cucumbers. Delicious and healthy.
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I love their pasta, man, i love Thai Food, but i'd go for the spicy seafood soup
  • monicanicoletta
    monicanicoletta Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    soup are the safest like tom yum- its a spicy broth with chicken/vegetables or you can get it with shrimp
    its about 160 cals per cup

and then chiken satay is pure protein, just grilled chicken on sticks

those are the best options!!! drunken noodles/pad thai/coconut based foods are all high in cal & fat
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    and then chiken satay is pure protein, just grilled chicken on sticks

Very true - just use a LITTLE of the peanut dipping sauce and they are delicious.
  • chasing_130
    chasing_130 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Pad See Ew is my absolute favorite Thai food. It has wide noodles with veggies (broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, etc.) I could eat it everyday lol