Biggest Loser Challenge in your area

Options
Hi all,

At my work we started a biggest loser competition a few weeks back. Are any of you currently doing the same thing at work or with a bunch of your friends or in your community? I currently am in second after 3 weeks (13 weeks total). I am on a diet and working out and I feel great. I had already started my weight loss before this challenge came into the picture at work. just wondering how the competition has worked out for you currently or if you have already done the competition. Im not having any take out or fast food until after this compeition, which for someone that loves chinese food is going to be tough.

THanks all!

Replies

• Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    We're doing the same thing in my office. Started over 3 weeks ago. That is how I found this site, one of my office mates is on here and told me about it. I started losing weight before the competition, so my weight loss has been slowing down which will put me at a disadvantage.
    How many people are competing in your company? How are you determining the winner- most lbs lost or biggest percentage decrease? The weight range of those competing here vary from 240 to 130, so we went with % decrease.

Good luck to you!
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yes I am on my third one. The first one I came in 2nd place, 1st place was a woman I didn't know but she paid like $250 to do some 30 cleanse and that is the reason she lost the most...I thought to my self, now what for her ya know? will she gain it back?

The second time I came in first scoring $300.

The third challenge it is down to 4 of us, so $300 again to the winner, and I heard one girl is up, one girl I suspect is up and my buddy only lost a few since the last time. I am on my final push before April 10th, I think thats the weigh-in, so I am sure to lose more by a land slide, I haven't written out any checks yet and don't want to. (knock on wood)

Good luck on yours! Keep up the hard work!
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I just found out about one where I live. The first meeting is on Monday. I'm a little nervous to start it. It's a 12 week challenge. The biggest reason I want to start is because I've been at a stand still with weight loss for a LONG time. I've been fluctuating from the high-low 190s. I want something to break this cycle! So I figured this type of challenge might spur me on to get totally back on track. (Eating is my problem, I love working out!)
  • Manda1987
    Manda1987 Posts: 207
    Options
    I did have one, but I decided to drop out.

I found that the whole "Biggest Loser" mentality wasn't good for me. It was more about losing weight NOW than it was about making healthy changes for the long run. When I started questioning whether or not I should stop exercising because it made me retain water and go up in weight, that's when I knew something was wrong. Everyone else was going on crazy diets and losing weight, or not really trying and whining about it when they went up every week. Not a good environment for me.
  • kyddsox
    kyddsox Posts: 6
    Options
    I can see the issue with Biggest Loser challenges for people that are not 100% committed to losing weight and eating healthier overall. You do it for the 12 week challenge and then get to a weight and think I am done and aren't committed to continue excercising etc. But I did start before the challenge began and am committed to continue after the challenge is done. I have been working my butt off and this challenge in my office is giving me extra motivation and given me more motivation to continue to eat right and eat even healthier.

@crystal what are the guidelines/rules for your challenge? The challenge in my office was kind of put together without good planning. Rules are pretty much weighing in once a week and its % of weight lost. No eliminations, weekly competitions etc. However, HR is going to be supporting this and giving us some sort of prizes as well though.

@Blondie was the compeition you found one that is just a community one? There is none around here that I am aware of but I am thinking of possibly trying to get one going in the fall.
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    we just had an honest proxy that knows our weight from the beginning, friends mom, she will be there at the "weigh-in" and there is only a final date, usually 3-4 months time. We chose April 1st this time but it maybe a week or so until we can all get in the same room. it is percentage lost and that's it because we are all at different levels.
  • socrates9011
    socrates9011 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    We started one at work the first week of January, it ends April 8th. I found this website the first week of the compitition and thank goodness I did. We paid an entrance fee and then pay a buck a week there is seventeen in the compitition. We weigh in once a week and have a weekly winner (I have won three times) and then we have three overall winners when the compitition is done. Half way through I was leading with 12% and then there was 3 people in second with 6%. I have lost a total of 38 pounds. my goal when I started was 40, I have reset this to 50. that would be close to 20% lost. Thank You My Fitness Pal.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I live in a small town so I was really surprised to see that they were putting one together around here. I talked to the lady who is starting it.. she's trying to sell Herbalife (sp?) so that's what got her to start it. But the challenge is still for anyone whether or not you buy that product.

I'm still not sure I want to do it... I'm thinking maybe the "public" weigh ins and support will be enough to keep me on track. Plus winning the prize money wouldn't be too bad either! :wink: Couldn't hurt anything to sign up and give it a try though, could it?