Working Out with Kids - Making it Work !

Options
I just wanted to write about the most difficult part of parenting - figuring out how to juggle your time between yourself and your kids.

I have three of them: 4yrs old, 2.5yrs old and 9 months old. My time is almost non-existant... but I make it work.

After my second daughter was born I left my FT job and became a FT Stay-at-home Mom. It took me a little while to get into the swing of it, but before long I had it down to a science. I would spend my days action-packet, full of playing and physical activity both with the kids and my beloved p90x dvds. Then I got pregnant for my third daughter and was put on bed rest for the duration of the pregnancy. I would get sooo bored that I would still sneak over to the beach most days and relax in the sand, or just float around in the pool; but it wasn't the full out skating I would regularly do or biking, walking, jogging, running, etc. I thought I would resume things as normal.. but then, the week after I came home from the hospital with my brandnew daughter - just a few days after my husband had returned to work, he was laidoff. It changed everything. He spent the next 8 months looking for a job, interview after interview. He was qualified - has extensive education and over ten years experience in his field, just every time he would interview it would always be the same story, "Sorry Eddie, you really impressed us and we would love to have you join our company, but unfortunately we no longer have the funds to proceed with this project." It happened, literally fifteen times, probably more. Interviews became a nightmare rather than an exciting opportunity. I could tell he was completely stressed out, so I rewrote my own resume and re-entered the workforce. At first I worked as a paralegal, with a 90 minute each way commute.. but then I was laid off because I'm not Hispanic, not bi-lingual and apparently speaking English wasn't fullfilling their needs. I found another job, closer to my house, working as an Executive Assistant for a CEO. It was great until he found someone willing to do my job, with MORE hours, for literally HALF of the pay. (Not making it up, I seen the paperwork, sadly enough.) I was working as a Court Reporter until Eddie's former boss called him and offered him another positon within the company. He's returned to work FT as of Monday and now I am back home with the kids.

I love being home with my kids.

I'm just feeling slightly out of place. I haven't figured it all out yet, or gotten back into the swing of it.

I know I NEED to workout more, but... how? when?

Why am I feeling overwhelmed? I've done this before, all on my own.. why can't I just get it together?

Its only day 3, surely I will find my way and make it work. I'm just afraid to get into a BAD routine.

Monday I took the kids skating. I put all three of them in the double jogging stroller and skated down the beach for a total round trip of 9 miles. We stopped at the water park and also at a playground. It was fun, they had a good time and they're well-behaved. But, skating isn't enough exercise, I need something more intense. I will never get the results I want if I JUST skate.

I found a gym up the street, its just a 5 minute walk away and they're offering half-price membership right now. I have a free 3-day pass. I know this sounds foolish to spend money on a gym membership when I have my own full gym inside my house, but at home I don't have anyone to WATCH THE KIDS. And, the best part of this gym is that they include childcare in the membership.

I am hoping that taking classes at this gym will help keep me active and not feel discouraged. I can still skate, surf and all of the other things that I like to do, but hopefully this will help. It is my hope anyway.

So, what do all of you do to find the time to workout while juggling kids? I'm just looking for any ideas! Any reccomendations or anything you want to add!

Thanks for reading this, I've missed you all !
- Jayde

Replies

• tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    nap time or before they get up or after they go to bed or I put cartoons on and then I know I have a least 30 min I am also a stay at home mom but I ran a cab company out of my home so I know it is hard but u can do it:smile:
  • Raw07
    Raw07 Posts: 206
    Options
    Im not going to be much help, seeing as I am in the same boat as you. I do my univistey classes online, I watch children from my home as my job ( one of them is only 4 months old and only wants to be held 24/7), PLUS I have 3 children of my own 12,7,& 4.
    Im new to trying to lose weight, I have given up in the past due to being so busy and not being able to find my time for myself. Im in such a small town that there is nothing to do but walk, or drive 45 minutes to the gym. My husband is usually never home and I have no family near by or people I know to say hey can you watch my kids.

To try and find the time for me to work out, today I made a list, everything from wake up - get kids ready for school. my school time ect. I have decided to get up a hour early and in that time work out, and than after the kids are in bed work out again. My work out right now is only the elliptical and im going to do only 25 mins to start and hopefully when the weather turns nice, my children and I can go for more walks ect, and im hoping to find a good work out DVD ( 30 day shred i heard is good ).
    Maybe for you making a schedule would work, that way you know the times to be able to work out or even the gym if they have childcare.

I wish you luck on your journey and I hope you are able to find some answers :)
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    I usually pop in a workout DVD after my 3 year old son falls asleep. I'm a single mom and I work full time and go to school in the evening. Going to the gym doesn't fit in to my schedule right now. A workout DVD isn't the most intense workout but it's better than nothing. I also have a Wii with some games that my son can play along with. We also have a family yoga DVD that we can do together and we love to go on walks, bike rides, ect. when the weather permits.
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I am so glad your husband finally got a job! I work full time and so does my husband and it is hard to get exercise in. My husband goes to a gym that offers childcare but it is to far from our house for me to go (it is close to his job). We do have a gym right around the corner from us that I have been thinking about joining, but it doesn't have childcard. So I will either have to get up super early and go or go after dinner when my husband is home. As of now, I have an elliptical in our spare bedroom and I either use that after the little one is in bed or before he wakes up! I say join the gym if it has free childcare included! They will have fun playing with the other children and you can focus on your work out! Good luck!
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    homeschooling mom of 4 here . . .ages 8,7,3,2 . . . and I work occasional night shifts as a nurse. I have, just in the last few months, gotten "exercise" back into my vocabulary. I get up early. I usually wake up before my alarm at 5:30 and get myself to the gym and home by 6:30 before my crew starts waking up. I am sooooo happy to be back in the swing of things. I have a trainer that I am working with who keeps me motivated when we meet 1-2 times a week. It is so fun to be challenged physically again. (Well, besides how fast can you load/unload a minivan, and my favorite, how many children and bags of groceries can you carry at one time, and lets not forget speed racing with the diaper changes!)

I finally have children who sleep longer than 5:30-6am so I just use that time that I was normally up with them and convert it to gym time. There is also childcare at my gym, but typically one of the four has some kind of communicable illness that keeps me from attending during child care hours. If it has been crazy, the gym is kind enough to stay open to 11pm and eliminate just about every excuse I can muster about not being able to fit the physical activity into my work day.

I signed up for a 5K this may and I KNOW if I do not keep up with my running program I may as well have the EMS/Ambulance follow closely behind me in the race. I don't want to have to do that, so I keep up with my running and crosstraining schedule.

Plus, and probably most importantly, I have a hubby who is loving and supportive and encourages me to take that time at the gym (But can I please make sure the toddlers have clean diapers before I head out, thankyouverymuch). This year has so far been amazing as I am reconnecting with myself after what feels like a forever of doting on other people.
  • TamiHudson
    TamiHudson Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    First of all let me say: I feel your pain. Although I have one less than you - two kids ages 5 and 15 months - I work full time out of the home as well. I do not have a gym membership and rely on my trustie DVD collection to get me through. I have done my workouts as late as 9pm some nights because by the time I get home, get dinner, get baths, clean up, fold laundry, read bedtime stories and lights out - it's about 9pm...I had to stop the madness. I was dead by 9pm and just wasn't able to do the workouts I really wanted to do.

So for me - I had to make a choice. 5:30am just doesn't look pretty when you face it every day. But it's what I had to do to accomplish the workout I wanted for the day. Plus, when working out at night I never had any time to just sit back with my husband and relax. I rearranged my mornings and now rise and shine with Jillian Michaels' DVD's, Tony Horton's power half hour or some Yoga...depends on what I need for that day. And I don't stress if I don't make 60 minutes of cardio...you've got to pick the battle and right now - 30 minutes of intesity is good enough for me. My weight is coming off, I'm getting leaner and more toned, and mentally I'm in a good place. And when night time comes, I can relax more because I'm not RUSHING my kids to bed JUST so I can get my workout in. That was more stressful than getting up at 5:30am.

You may already rise and shine that early because of your own kids' schedules. For your sake I hope you don't! But I would say that gym membership that offers child care may be a great option for you - for now. It doesn't have to be long term b/c the kiddos will get bigger...heading into preschool/school and you'll have the opportunity to have more of your own time during the day to get that workout in. But the choice has to be one that will reduce the stress you feel now...not add to it. That's what I have come to find...my 9pm workouts was adding more stress not only on me, but my time with my husband AND family - b/c I was rushing them at night. Getting up at 5am has worked for me because I get my workout in and actually have some quiet time for me...until the kids come down...then as you know - it's all over! :)
  • helthymom6
    Options
    Well Jayde I know how you feel. I have 5 children and I homeschool them. The oldest is 9 and the youngest is 17 months. I figured that I had to learn to workout with them. We live on just my husbands income and we can't afford a gym, besides my DH works about 65 hours a week there relly isn't time for me to go to a gym. I could never find more than 10 minutes to myself. Right now I am doing leslie Sansone 4 fast and firm miles. It is more like aerobics, since you do a lot of upper body and she has you jogging by mile 2. The kids do it with me I work it into thier school schedule. Right now I can only do 2 miles. It takes us about 25 min. It is their gym class for the day. Even the 3 year old does it. It is quite humorous watching them try to do all the moves. The baby is usually in her playpen watching us workout. I think it is good for them to learn to exercise everyday and get into the habit of being healthy. Then maybe they won't have to struggle all thier lives like I have had to do. I'm sure it will all work out. Just remember what a blessing it is for your children to be able to have thier Mom around at home with them. there is nothing that can beat that. It is the best thing you can do for your kids. Good luck and keep up the good work.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I am a FT working mom of 2 (3 yrs old and 14 mos old). My commute to work is about an hour each way. So I am out of the house from about 730am to 630pm. Add making dinner, taking care of kids, and chores into that...I felt like I would never have time to work out. What I am doing now is waking up an hour earlier than usual to work out. On the weekends, my kids happen to nap at the same time so I can work out at that time. I struggle with sticking with it, because I love my sleep. But I'm trying.
  • Cassienz
    Cassienz Posts: 75
    Options
    I'm a single parent who also homeschools. Two girls age 5 and 6. So I had to have exercise that the kids could do too. We have a Wii, and just got Wii Just Dance for it. The kids love it and I'm getting the benefit of it - even if they can out dance and out last me! LOL After they go to bed at night I often jump back on the wii for a bit longer and play that or tennis. So far it's working out well, I've been doing this for ten days now and I've lost a heap of weight doing it. And it's FUN!! :)

Best of luck finding something that works for you and your family. :)