Simple Green Cupcakes – A St. Patrick’s Day Surprise!

Options
Simple Green Cupcakes – A St. Patrick’s Day Surprise!
• 1 cup of applesauce (244g)
• At LEAST 4 cups of raw spinach (85g) — Next time I’m adding more now that I know it works.
• Box of Store Bought White Cake Mix (I used Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Classic White Cake Mix )
• Sprinkles (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 15 muffin tins with liners and spray with a bit of non-stick to be safe. Note: probably not necessary but I’m over cautious.
Puree the applesauce and spinach in a food processor or Magic Bullet . In this case I like the bullet as you can work it by simply pulsing and shaking the container a bit. It took awhile to get the puree started but once it caught I let it blend for a good minute.
Note: You can add the spinach in batches.
Dump the cake mix and spinach puree in a large bowl.
Beat with an electric beater for 2 minutes on medium until the batter is combined.
Separate the batter into the 15 cup cake liners. Add sprinkles if you like. This is my way of making them festive without icing. In my opinion, the cupcake has enough sugar already. No need to add tons more on top. Sprinkles are just as fun!
Bake for about 20 minutes and then enjoy and admire your festive green cupcakes!

I got this recipe from Greenlitebites.com. She has lots of great healthy recipes and tries to sneak as many veggies in her foods as possible. Check it out!

Replies

• scoops13
    scoops13 Posts: 31
    Options
    Interesting... can you taste the spinach??
  • forgiven4life
    Options
    I've not tried them yet, but I thought it sounded good. She says you can't taste it at all and even plans on adding more the next time she makes them.
  • 2BaNewMe2
    2BaNewMe2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Sounds good!!

I don't remember who, but one of the major cake mixes has a sugar free mix now. Tried it, pretty good. Maybe I'll try this recipe with that.
  • scoops13
    scoops13 Posts: 31
    Options
    I went to the site and it said not even a hint fo spinach taste! I'm excited about this and definitely going to try. Great website too! I signed up for the email subscription. I am very into hiding good stuff in my food! Thanks so much! :)
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    bump, these sound interesting!
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    I don't think you would taste it as I make green smoothies and you can't taste it in there! I'm going to try these.