embarrassing but....

Options
One of my thighs (my right thigh) is a lil bit bigger than my left one. Is there any exercises or things I can do to fix that? Please help =/

Replies

• eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Are you right handed? Because you've probably just favored that leg (just like that hand and arm). Focus on doing a little more with the "smaller" leg, or on making sure everything you do (in the gym and out) is completely balanced.

For example: use free weights and body weight instead of machines because with machines one leg/arm can overcompensate without you realizing it.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Oh my god! I thought I was the only one. I mentioned it to my doctor and she just shrugged. It really irritates me because the more weight I lose, the more I notice it. I also would like to hear some opinions on this as well.
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Are you right handed? Because you've probably just favored that leg (just like that hand and arm). Focus on doing a little more with the "smaller" leg, or on making sure everything you do (in the gym and out) is completely balanced.

For example: use free weights and body weight instead of machines because with machines one leg/arm can overcompensate without you realizing it.

I agree...I have realised if I do use the machines, to do each leg separately, otherwise the right leg does most of the work :-)
    Same with arms I suppose, but I notice it more in my legs.

Even though my legs are the same size i think?
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I have that too, but when I have brought up the subject, NO ONE can tell. Maybe all those walks in circles has helped! :laugh:
  • chicalatte
    chicalatte Posts: 174
    Options
    Im actually left handed. =/

I dont really do exercises besides dancing and running/walking
  • chicalatte
    Options
    Im glad Im not the only one! *hugs*
  • chickadee2010
    chickadee2010 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I notice that my right leg does all the work, well, more of the work anyway. That's the foot I put forward first, etc.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I had that problem with thighs and upper arms. One was always a 1/2 inch bigger, but then all of a sudden my legs evened out so they are now the same and my arms are only 1/4 inch difference.

I think if you just keep going it works itself out.
  • chicalatte
    Options
    What do you mean keep going?

They're uneven because of fat, not muscle =/
  • mamawildbear
    mamawildbear Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Do you notice only because you're measuring? Do you notice when you look in the mirror? Would anyone else notice? I'm not sure it matters and I'm pretty sure it's totally normal. One of my feet is bigger than the other. It's also very normal for your "carrying arm" to be bigger than the less dominant arm. I'm sure legs are the same way. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
  • chicalatte
    Options
    Do you notice only because you're measuring? Do you notice when you look in the mirror? Would anyone else notice? I'm not sure it matters and I'm pretty sure it's totally normal. One of my feet is bigger than the other. It's also very normal for your "carrying arm" to be bigger than the less dominant arm. I'm sure legs are the same way. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I've always noticed it. =/
  • kbloodworth
    kbloodworth Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    No one is completely symmetrical, and the good news is, that you are probably the only one that notices it. I used to be a dancer, and I noticed the size of my calves was different due to the fact that I favored one leg for leaps and turns. Whether the difference is due to fat or muscle, if you continue to do strength training evenly on both sides of your bodies, it will help to balance it out. Also, you may want to go to a chiropractor and try some balance exercises. A significant difference in limb size could be caused by you carrying more weight on one side of your body than the other. I had my balance tested and I carry more weight on my right leg when I stand perfectly still and running. Over time, this starts to affect the development of the underlying muscles. If you go to a chiropractor to help you get your body in alignment from head to toe or do Yoga or exercises that help the stabilizer muscles, that may help solve the problem.
  • mamawildbear
    mamawildbear Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've always noticed it. =/

Yes, but does anyone else. I always zero in on imperfections in my body that nobody else notices or even cares about. Unless strangers point at your one freakishly large thigh as you pass by in the street, you are probably OK.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    no-one is symetrical ;)
    remember that.

i'm always a little different between sides. worst part for me is chest...lol. with left pec always looking bigger than right...
  • chicalatte
    Options
    no-one is symetrical ;)
    remember that.

i'm always a little different between sides. worst part for me is chest...lol. with left pec always looking bigger than right...

LOL my best friend had one manboob bigger than the other haha
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Mine are the same way. My left leg is bigger than my right. Mine has a lot to do with breaking my right leg years ago. What I've done to kind of build up the other one is wear an ankle weight on the smaller one. It has helped a little bit. One of my arms is smaller than the other too. It happens. No big deal.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Im actually left handed. =/

I dont really do exercises besides dancing and running/walking

Well make a conscious effort to favor the one leg for a while to build up the muscle. (for ex, take the stairs two @ a time with your "small" leg & one @ a time with the "big" leg. Or if your legs aren't long enough for that, take stairs one @ a time & when your small leg is on the higher stair try & push yourself up with that one, not the bottom leg....does that make sense?
  • mattiexox
    mattiexox Posts: 42
    Options
    One of my thighs (my right thigh) is a lil bit bigger than my left one. Is there any exercises or things I can do to fix that? Please help =/
    I have the same problem! It's equal part muscle atrophy and favoring one side, even though it isn't my dominant one. All my muscles are uneven, haha. Everyone's are, I think. It's just more noticeable on some people!

I agree with everyone else's suggestions :) Just know you aren't alone!
    Edit: Also, have you broken a bone in your left leg? Because you suffer muscle atrophy if you're wearing a cast etc. for a few weeks...
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I'm the same.
    Left leg and left arm.
    I'm right handed!

I notice it when I'm using a rowing machine as I pull slightly to the left and have to consciously correct myself.
    I have one pair of trousers that's tighter fitting on my left leg.

It's probably not noticable to others. xx
  • Lexie71
    Lexie71 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Very normal.... my right hand is bigger than my left. My left breast is bigger than my right. My right foot is a size bigger than my left. It sounds like I look like a freak but no one notices these things but me. Except maybe the breast lol