how many days are you suppose to workout.

Options
I do the treadmill and elliptical everyday. My question is. Are you suppose to take a day off. Like only workout 3days a week.
Im not sure. Any ideas...

Replies

• jeromy75
    jeromy75 Posts: 112
    Options
    Monday, Wednesday, Friday: Cardo and I work out a little harder. I do more strength and push more.
    Tuesday, Thursday, and the weekend: I usually stick to cardio.

That's just me though.
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but I workout 5 days a week. I need those 2 rest days.
  • ItsOn130
    ItsOn130 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I usually take at least one day/week off, sometimes two... Especially if my muscles feel fatigued or sore...
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

When comes to workouts im just not sure if im doing enough. I have been trying to workout every day.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I try to work out monday-friday! i do weights and cardio every day. Weekends I usually rest. But if you feel good, go for it! Thats my motto when it comes to working out. If you wanna work out every day, GO FOR IT! just make sure you are getting adequate amounts of sleep at night. Thats one of the few times your body repairs its self is when you are sleeping.
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    this go around for me, I didn't have a certain number of days in mind. Now that I've been working out and getting in better shape, I can do 7 days a week and not be tired of it or burnt out. I think it's however your body feels and what it is telling you. Last time I tried to lose weight (unsuccessfully), I did 5 and took weekend off, but there's a reason I was unsuccessful I guess.
  • Vanishing_Gordies
    Options
    Hmm...I guess that depends on how hard you are pushing yourself on the treadmill/elliptical every day. If you're going 3.5mph on that thing every day, then IMHO no, you don't need a day off.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    You need to be doing more days on than off. If you are trying to lose you should be getting at least 5 for 30 mins. You should also add some strength training to your workouts. That is really going to give you some results.
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I work out 5 days a week and take 2 days off so that I dont get burnt out and I give my body a rest. :smile:
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    6 days a week. I take every Monday off, your body needs a break. The pros say, build for 3 weeks, ease back the 4th week then start building again. I workout like a slave though, when I'm playing sports, I don't mess around. I don't mean to take anything away from people who clean their house and post that as exercise, that is great, and if that is all they can do, God bless them, they are doing something. I recognize carrying around extra weight is a workout, it truly can be. But for me, I work out until I sweat like hell, I push my heartrate and I keep it there. I workout a minimum of 1 hour every day, often 2 hours. Also,when you hear the experts say you have to workou t a minimum of 20 minutes at a time 3x a week, this is the MINIMUM you are supposed to work out. If you don't believe me, ask Jillian Micheals or a sports dietitian. They all agree, that 6 days is the way to go. Play hard! It's fun!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I have been doing P90X and that is working out 6 days per week. Sometimes on the 7th day I workout, but sometimes I don't. I think you just should not work out super hard everyday. The intensity level matters more...IMO.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    This week i have been going every day. 30 minutes on treadmill and elliptical. Lift free weights. Should i be doing the free weight every other day. If so what should i do on the other days..
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    You should rest your muscles after working them if you want to build them up. So do the free weights every other day or do different muscle groups each day. For instance, maybe focus on upper body (chest, back, arms) on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and then do lower body (legs and core) on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I work out 5 days a week. 5 days of cardio and 3 days of strength training.
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I like 5 days a week. Muscle repairs and grows on your rest day, not while you are working out. I exercise Monday-Friday, and if i do anything on the weekend it would be stretching, or something really light like a walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes.
  • mattiexox
    mattiexox Posts: 42
    Options
    I do the treadmill and elliptical everyday. My question is. Are you suppose to take a day off. Like only workout 3days a week.
    Im not sure. Any ideas...
    I alternate! 3 days a week muscle, 3 days mostly cardio, and then I take Sunday off.
    So M, W, F - More strength training(alternating days so they'll have time to recover before the next workout), and Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturday - cardio.

Just me, though. But that's the general idea of how a lot of people think it should be done.