Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

New guy walking!

DaveNix
DaveNix Posts: 78 Member
I've been looking for a site like this for a while, and up until now I haven't stuck with any I've found thus far. MFP looks easy, comprehensive, and compelling. I found it thanks to my friend Keith, who had linked progress on Facebook.

About me: I'm 41 years old, I've been big my entire life. I peaked at 277 pounds back in 1991, lost enough to get into the military in 1992 (246), boot camp got me down to 186. Since then I've been 240-260 pounds. I've got broad shoulders but at 5' 11", I'm still very obese.

My weight eventually cost me my military career - and 18 years of crash diets, bulimic behaviors and the work environment took its toll on my body. Since I left military service in July, I've quit tobacco and sodas, and have changed my diet to more natural foods. My blood pressure is down 25 points or more already: still, I was only maintaining my weight, being somewhat limited in exercise with knee problems.

I bought a kitchen scale in January, and established a reasonable goal: 1 pound a week over the next year - perhaps a bit more to get down to 200 by year's end. I'm hoping this site will help with that, and I'm looking forward to the community I've only just begun to see here.

Is there anyway to limit what MFP publishes to Facebook? I wouldn't mind a wall entry every 10 pounds or something, but every day seems a bit of overkill.

Replies

• Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    Welcome!
    Hope you will like it here.
    To change your facebook shareing settings go to Settings - Facebook/Twitter settings and there you can decide what gets updated to your account on Facebook and what not.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Dave,
    Under settings there is a menu for facebook settings. Once you link it to your facebook account it shows some options that let you limit what info gets passed.

facebook_settings.jpg
  • tiggys
    tiggys Posts: 32
    Welcome!
  • Alice37
    Alice37 Posts: 29
    Welcome Dave! Good luck with your weight loss & hope you find this place as useful & friendly as I am.

Glad someone else could re Facebook - I'm a total technophobe with stuff like that so no chance of me figuring how to link my profiles up!

Alice :-)
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 780 Member
    Welcome! I've only been on this site for a very short time but the friendliness of the people on here has been awesome. I actually think I may be able to keep up my willpower with all the encouragement from everyone on here. Good luck to you on your journey!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Welcome! :) This is a great site!
  • Aljamaki
    Aljamaki Posts: 3
    I'm new here as well. Good luck with your goals.
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Welcome, another newbie here too! You're headed in the right direction. I hope I'm headed that way too. :D
  • LazyMogg
    LazyMogg Posts: 162
    Welcome, Dave and I'm sure you'll love it here as the members are all very friendly. :smile:
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Welcome! Good luck with your goals! What branch are you in?